How’s Your Sump Pump?

Lawdwaz

30 minutes ago, phade said:

Hate to admit it but I have PTSD with my last home. Watching your washing machine bounce off the ceiling/floor of the second level in the split home...was enough for me....the fifth time in three years.

Our current house is on a hill and needs a little tweaking for one corner  (I'm thinking longer down spout) that gets a touch of water seepages in super heavy rains. Only second time in four years the sump kicked on this past weekend. I run it once every three months with a bucket full of water. I don't have a battery back-up but this post was a good reminder so that'll be going in this month.

But eff that water in the basement stuff. Damn near bankrupted me. All in, I lost my azz, but thankfully outworked the issue in less than five years and the peace of mind of a dry basement is priceless. That first flood cost me $30K alone - just finished a full-on renno of the lower level 30 days prior (down to studs renno). Had to tear everything out again. Even the Sealy mattress was still in plastic when we had to throw it out. Effff that.

When we moved in I had to regrade and move all the downspouts out , that was a big help .

As for a battery back up , they don’t run it very long ,I went with a water back up . In 2003 we lost power for three days and my sump was taking on a lot of water , that back up ran every few minutes for three days straight. That was with a cheap plastic back up , I’ve since upgraded to a Liberty .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

When we moved in I had to regrade and move all the downspouts out , that was a big help .

As for a battery back up , they don’t run it very long ,I went with a water back up . In 2003 we lost power for three days and my sump was taking on a lot of water , that back up ran every few minutes for three days straight. That was with a cheap plastic back up , I’ve since upgraded to a Liberty .

I'm on septic, so the back up won't help!

I forgot about this picture; germane to this brief thread.  It was taken in a customers basement.  He had some water damage from a sewer backup and showed me his awesome set up to protect against water damage.   Sadly a sewer back up got him!!

9F8B0B3E-0BD7-4024-BA40-3F994256A05A.jpeg

• Haha 1

3b408e5f70b7d5dee375113094330321.jpg

I know nothing about sump pumps. I don’t have one or know anyone locally who has one. I looked at a house recently that had one. I guess most newer homes come standard with them. Above where the picture cuts off there was an electronic dashboard type thing. So this thing just does it’s own business on its own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I know nothing about sump pumps. I don’t have one or know anyone locally who has one. I looked at a house recently that had one. I guess most newer homes come standard with them. Above where the picture cuts off there was an electronic dashboard type thing. So this thing just does it’s own business on its own?

Most of the time things go swimmingly.   When they don’t, it can be incredibly costly for the homeowners.   

A healthy upgrade to your homeowners policy can be had and is quite worthwhile if you have a finished basement and are realistic.  

Many policies has limits to them……tread very carefully.   

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

They're sweet if you're working in the basement and you dont want to go up stairs to take a leak. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They're sweet if you're working in the basement and you dont want to go up stairs to take a leak. 
My Dad refers to sump holes as a National Fuel service man's urnial! He would know...he spent 44 years working as one.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Haha 2