Almost done growing

G-Man

1 minute ago, land 1 said:

def slowing down but i would say will be growing for about a month more

No usually till end of july then mineralization happens during august with velvet peal end of august beginning of sept.. 

28 minutes ago, G-Man said:

No usually till end of july then mineralization happens during august with velvet peal end of august beginning of sept.. 

Not in my world. Last 2 of July and first 2 of August continue showing black tips and black tips are making inches. Frames are done except points and mass is pretty much made but those points will continue into August for many. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Not in my world. Last 2 of July and first 2 of August continue showing black tips and black tips are making inches. Frames are done except points and mass is pretty much made but those points will continue into August for many. 

This is actually a serious question and in no way am I being sarcastic or negative. Do deer being grown like you do for work actually grow antlers the same as wild deer or does the gene manipulation ( for lack of a better term on my part ) cause them to grow differently? I have always wondered about that to be honest.

all i know is i have had deer that get hit by cars in mid august and the horns are still for lack of better terms spounge like not  hard, i would say that there basic frame and mass are there, but still adding a few inches

Edited by land 1

Have to agree with G-Man. Over past ~15yrs in 8F the bucks in mid to late July are pretty much at 80% of what they'll be in bow season. May grow a little more mass & a few inches of tine length. By now they are pretty much what they'll be in the fall, less velvet covering. Not to say this "rule of thumb" may not be different in other areas of NYS.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

This is actually a serious question and in no way am I being sarcastic or negative. Do deer being grown like you do for work actually grow antlers the same as wild deer or does the gene manipulation ( for lack of a better term on my part ) cause them to grow differently? I have always wondered about that to be honest.

. A Whitetail is a Whitetail regardless of which side of the fence they are on. Besides the better blood, better care and no stress they are the same animal. Blood flow is what grows antlers and until the amount of daylight signals the glands of a whitetail to stop flowing blood they will continue to grow. Hence you see a bucks rack grey up a bit except for the points and tips, they continue to be darker because they continue to get blood flow and continue growing. 

In dutchess county area they are pretty much done about now and completely done by august. I have had people in my area say they grow till september but I think they have stevie wonder syndrome. Now maybe it is different north of state cause it is a photographic period thing maybe it is different but here in this part of state there done by aug... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Have to agree with G-Man. Over past ~15yrs in 8F the bucks in mid to late July are pretty much at 80% of what they'll be in bow season. May grow a little more mass & a few inches of tine length. By now they are pretty much what they'll be in the fall, less velvet covering. Not to say this "rule of thumb" may not be different in other areas of NYS.

20% of a 100" deer at this point is a 120" buck.

That's ALOT of inches.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective but 80% growth means there is still 20% left to go, that becomes a gamechanger.

A 140" deer would only be 112" right now....by that math.

2 hours ago, phade said:

20% of a 100" deer at this point is a 120" buck.

That's ALOT of inches.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective but 80% growth means there is still 20% left to go, that becomes a gamechanger.

A 140" deer would only be 112" right now....by that math.

If they puck up 6.inches more will be a lot. Ive watched them for years and by end of july they are done ( or maybe add 1/2  to points, while if bulbus they're stilll growing  in photo they really are not . Ive seen bucks fight with hardened horn by 2nd week of august here ,so for all intents they are basically.done growing. Under perfect conditions perhaps they continue but ive never seen much growth after july here

Most of the scientific detail shows growth halting 100% around 30 days prior to shedding but also note this period as being usually around August 5-15 ballpark, which aligns with shedding of most bucks in September.

It's July 19...they have time. 

13 minutes ago, phade said:

Most of the scientific detail shows growth halting 100% around 30 days prior to shedding but also note this period as being usually around August 5-15 ballpark, which aligns with shedding of most bucks in September.

It's July 19...they have time. 

But growing starts to slow done bigtime before that period.

there DONE like DINNER

• Like 1