October full moon

Just Lucky

I am planning my vacation time for this year. While doing so I checked the full moon schedule.  It is early this year, October 20th. 

Curious if the rut will be a little early do to the moon. I may take off the 18th, and 19th, instead of the last couple of days in October. 

Best stretch of the year for me has always been Halloween to about Nov 17.  I wouldnt worry about the moon affecting the rut at all.  I wouldn't go earlier in Oct and take the chance of hitting warm weather and a lull. If that's all the time off you can take.

I am actually planning not to hunt hard at all til about 10/23 this season.  But then really focus on those last 3 weeks of Archery .  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

There’s a reason I take the month of November off. that’s because it’s the best month to hunt.

If believe in the moon theory stuff. then you would want to hunt the 10 days around the 2nd full moon after the fall equinox. See deer & deer hunting mag.

There is some correlation IMO, but I have no idea as to how much of an impact. I'm not sure I'd let that override falling daylight considerations and weather impacts.

A late October cold front with a storm overnight is a recipe for a community/perennial scrape setup or a buck getting back to bed late because he got a late start due to the storm.

The moon is not going to override me from sitting that morning. 

There is some connection though as I noted. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If hunting around the time of a full moon seems to bother so many people, maybe they should start hunting with pants on, or better at least make sure your hunting buddies are wearing pants. Problem solved, wearing pants = not a full moon.

• Haha 1

If hunting around the time of a full moon seems to bother so many people, maybe they should start hunting with pants on, or better at least make sure your hunting buddies are wearing pants. Problem solved, wearing pants = not a full moon.

Just take ALL the fun out of it why don’t you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Just take ALL the fun out of it why don’t you!!!!

Hey, if you want to hunt naked go for it. Who am I to tell you not too? If your buddies feel the need to do that good for them. I guess it would make for easy potty breaks. I'm not really sure what a group of naked guys running around through the woods would be called though. I know I'd be going the opposite direction if I saw it.

From my own observations, the rut falls about the same time in November every year, and has nothing to do with the moon, as far as timing goes. I call November 10th the magic day, and five days on either side of that are prime too. Yes, there will be some rutting activity before and after those dates. But during the time between Nov 5th and 15th, is when the majority of doe's will come into estrous.

I believe the amount of daylight triggers the rut each year. And of course weather, hunting pressure, buck\doe ratios, and many other factors, may vary the rut activity we see. But the rut is still going to happen at the same time, year after year.

• Like 1

From my own observations, the rut falls about the same time in November every year, and has nothing to do with the moon, as far as timing goes. I call November 10th the magic day, and five days on either side of that are prime too. Yes, there will be some rutting activity before and after those dates. But during the time between Nov 5th and 15th, is when the majority of doe's will come into estrous.
I believe the amount of daylight triggers the rut each year. And of course weather, hunting pressure, buck\doe ratios, and many other factors, may vary the rut activity we see. But the rut is still going to happen at the same time, year after year.

So yes the rut is still going regardless of any factors however some years have greater daytime activity which we all love. When those negative variables (weather, neighbor decides to log next to you, And a FULL MOON!) are introduced right in the sweet spot of those 10 days, I would say the hunting is not as ideal as it could be.
I need all the help I can get and the full moon ain’t it.
I will not miss hunting before or during an incoming snow storm due to last years wisdom of the Tacks but what if an incoming storm is during the full moon?

10 hours ago, grampy said:

Agreed! I always waffled between November 10 and 11 as being the "magic day.

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The "Magic Day" is the day you are in the woods and things are happening.  Deer aren't using calendar's where I hunt......

I had a spot, that I swear the deer watched the calender. The 10th and 11th was the day for many years in a row..lol..

24 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The "Magic Day" is the day you are in the woods and things are happening.  Deer aren't using calendar's where I hunt......

I agree with that 100% Larry. And no one can argue with your success.

But some days are definitely better than others. A magic day "could" happen on October 1st. On the very last day of the season, or any day in between. Thats why we hunt anytime we can!! Just seems to me, that the odds of having a "magic day" are higher between November 1st and 15th. 

• Like 2