New bow .

Nytracker

Do to shoulder problems i can't shoot my 60 to 70 lbs bow anymore . Stopped at my only local archery shop and perused the new bows . Sticker shock !

Shot the mathews  v3 in 27 and 31 . Shot 6 arrows out of each  50 lbs draw. I was pretty sore.  Haven't shot a bow in 5 or more years . Hate to spend $1000.00 and decide I just can't do it . Surgery  is a while off as Dr said it wasn't bad enough and insurance wouldn't pay for the MRI. Hell they don't even know whats causing the pain . Problem is they think its a possible partly torn rotator. 

Need to find a cheaper smooth drawing  bow . Used. 

To manage cost, I'd look at the bows geared toward growing youth. Alot of manufacturers will have moderately priced options to get people into the sport, yet the bows are still quite huntable. They end up having alot of DL and DW adjustments. Plus there is xbow option, too when in season.

Edited by phade
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Do to shoulder problems i can't shoot my 60 to 70 lbs bow anymore . Stopped at my only local archery shop and perused the new bows . Sticker shock !

Shot the mathews  v3 in 27 and 31 . Shot 6 arrows out of each  50 lbs draw. I was pretty sore.  Haven't shot a bow in 5 or more years . Hate to spend $1000.00 and decide I just can't do it . Surgery  is a while off as Dr said it wasn't bad enough and insurance wouldn't pay for the MRI. Hell they don't even know whats causing the pain . Problem is they think its a possible partly torn rotator. 

Need to find a cheaper smooth drawing  bow . Used. 

Look into the elite ember. They have a bare bow and a full setup bow for under 600 I want to say.  Smooth draw and can get it down to 40lbs and when your shoulder feel better you can crank it back up to 60lbs if you want.

Screenshot_20210720-164309_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

It all depends on your budget and what you're looking for. As others have said, there are plenty of good bows that are very adjustable, plenty accurate, and won't break the bank. A Diamond or Bear will kill a deer just as dead as a Matthews for a fraction of the price.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Look into the elite ember. They have a bare bow and a full setup bow for under 600 I want to say.  Smooth draw and can get it down to 40lbs and when your shoulder feel better you can crank it back up to 60lbs if you want.

Screenshot_20210720-164309_Chrome.jpg

I looked at this bow but it was way to short .

• Like 1

Try to find a used Mathews HTX No Cam. I have a separated shoulder and tried a ton of bows. This one by far was the easiest on my shoulder.

Lots of guys use ArcheryTalk for used bows?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Try to find a used Mathews HTX No Cam. I have a separated shoulder and tried a ton of bows. This one by far was the easiest on my shoulder.

Lots of guys use ArcheryTalk for used bows?

I have used archery talk classified a few times with good results . Just make sure they have good feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just picked up a Diamond Razor for my wife. The guy who bought our boat mentioned his grandson outgrew this bow so the next day when he stopped by to grab the registrarion and title he brought the bow. The thing was in amazing shapen and completley adjustable in weight and draw kength for her. Seems like a great bow for a 100.00

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

30  give or take depending on the release I use. 

Have you had your draw length officially checked ? I’m not saying your not a 30 but that seems it might be a tad long for you. Archery talk classifieds would be they way to go for a good price on a bow . Ive sold and bought a ton on there,  if you’d like a helping hand pm me and we’ll figure something out. FYI I have my own bow shop .. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ncountry said:

I have used archery talk classified a few times with good results . Just make sure they have good feedback.

Unfortunately the powers that be that took over archery talk decided to do away with the feed back. I had several years of positive feed back, poof up and gone . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately the powers that be that took over archery talk decided to do away with the feed back. I had several years of positive feed back, poof up and gone . 

Thats why I get my archery gear exclusively from @moog5050, hand delivered with his ironclad taillight warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats why I get my archery gear exclusively from @moog5050, hand delivered with his ironclad taillight warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yeah! My Obsession Phoenix is a once owned by moog bow!! He swapped limbs, and did a complete set up. before my arrival. Then did a bunch more adjusting while I tried shooting it in his indoor range! Love the bow, but my shoulders are not so great like the OP.

And I also have a Tacks owned bow, bought for my grandson! He shoots better than I do with that bow, but football takes him out of the deer woods. Hope to see him kill a deer with it some day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ncountry said:

They dont have feedback anymore ,its made for a terrible situation when dropping that kind of money for a bow.

Thanks for the information guys ... but I don't want to spend any money if I can't draw it efficiently  with out pain . We all know that in order to be proficient with a bow one must practice . What I was looking for is information  on a smooth draw cycle  bow that I  can draw with a damaged shoulder. I know I can still draw my bow at 64 lbs a couple of times . I currently  own a mathews  dxt . Probably  the smoothest drawing bow I have ever owned  .I dont know if I can draw 50 lbs 2 dozen times daily . I hate to spend money on another bow if it's not going to work out . I know I posted looking for a cheaper bow . Sorry I didn't clarify  specifically my requirements.  

That said I have been working on some shoulder and back exercises that are suppose to strengthen all the muscles used in drawing a bow . 

Thanks again for your help .

47 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Thanks for the information guys ... but I don't want to spend any money if I can't draw it efficiently  with out pain . We all know that in order to be proficient with a bow one must practice . What I was looking for is information  on a smooth draw cycle  bow that I  can draw with a damaged shoulder. I know I can still draw my bow at 64 lbs a couple of times . I currently  own a mathews  dxt . Probably  the smoothest drawing bow I have ever owned  .I dont know if I can draw 50 lbs 2 dozen times daily . I hate to spend money on another bow if it's not going to work out . I know I posted looking for a cheaper bow . Sorry I didn't clarify  specifically my requirements.  

That said I have been working on some shoulder and back exercises that are suppose to strengthen all the muscles used in drawing a bow . 

Just going to be a matter of shooting different ones.  I personally think elite and bowtech have some of the smoothest draw cycles.  I can pull and hold my ritual for a long time without the best shoulders.

Hope you find one that works for you so you can get out.

14 hours ago, Nytracker said:

maybe try a change up the in the shooting regimen.  I, like you, used to shoot shoot shoot, I found myself tweaking the bow and then days i just would be off it seemed and had to put it down.  Last couple of years for practice i take a one shot , make it count shot, at different ranges each time.   Then I send one at 30, one at 40 (my farthest pin) and i call it good .  I actually feel like i shoot better.  The muscle memory is there esp with the same bow for the last 4 seasons.  Not saying it will work for you but maybe try it to help save the shoulders.  

I just shot a friend's new Bowtech and asked him, "what's this set at, 52, maybe 53 lbs?" He told me that it was 65 lbs! I was shocked. I felt like I could draw it with one finger. I have a new Hoyt RX5 Ultra, and the draw cycle is nice, but it sure as heck doesn't carve ten pounds or more off the set point. I'm still not sure he wasn't screwing with me. Might be worth checking out. Pricey, I'm sure though.

Edited by knehrke