Late summer Trapping education event.

As some of you may know I got into trapping the last two years. I tried to chronicle some of the catches on here. It got me thinking of the course NY puts on and how we can better help those that want to get into trapping as a hobby or part of their property management strategy. I have started planning a late summer trapping education even. Details to follow. 

It will be a  day and a half event. Looking like September 11th and 12th. Full day on the 11th and 1/2 a day on the 12th. One of the issues I had with the normal format for the hunters education classes is there is little time for actual hands on or spending time in the field learning some tips. SO, in the spirit of the Filed to Fork program we are going to take this one event in a different direction. Day one will be the normal Trapping education event so you will have the certification to get your license. Day two will be hands on and work in the filed. You will learn how to set the different types of traps, how to make the basic sets, learn the basic use of lures and baits and start the learning process on where to set and why. We are trying to get folks involved and help to shorten the learning curve. 

Since I have a few fox frozen from last season we are also going to be doing a skinning and fleshing demonstration. This was one of the biggest voids in the normal curriculum. 

We are going to limit this to 24 participants and those attending must be NDA members but attending the course will be free otherwise.  (Those of you that bought the membership raffles are a leg up on this part)

Stay tuned for further details. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

As some of you may know I got into trapping the last two years. I tried to chronicle some of the catches on here. It got me thinking of the course NY puts on and how we can better help those that want to get into trapping as a hobby or part of their property management strategy. I have started planning a late summer trapping education even. Details to follow. 

It will be a  day and a half event. Looking like September 11th and 12th. Full day on the 11th and 1/2 a day on the 12th. One of the issues I had with the normal format for the hunters education classes is there is little time for actual hands on or spending time in the field learning some tips. SO, in the spirit of the Filed to Fork program we are going to take this one event in a different direction. Day one will be the normal Trapping education event so you will have the certification to get your license. Day two will be hands on and work in the filed. You will learn how to set the different types of traps, how to make the basic sets, learn the basic use of lures and baits and start the learning process on where to set and why. We are trying to get folks involved and help to shorten the learning curve. 

Since I have a few fox frozen from last season we are also going to be doing a skinning and fleshing demonstration. This was one of the biggest voids in the normal curriculum. 

We are going to limit this to 24 participants and those attending must be NDA members but attending the course will be free otherwise.  (Those of you that bought the membership raffles are a leg up on this part)

Stay tuned for further details. 

Like it a lot Bob!! Hope you get lots of interest!! If i was in a position of having a good amount of free time id be all in! GL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, hot off the press. I am not going to send out the General email until tomorrow becasue I wanted to give you guys first shot. Little change. Class size will only be 18  and adults only (18 and older) since we are structuring like the Field to Fork. 

Greater Rochester NDA Education event

Topic: Learn to Trap

Dates: September 18th 8am-5pm and 19th 8am to 1 pm

Where:  Genesee Valley Trappers Association

Markmen’s clubhouse in Ontario County, New York

Address: 4662 Co Rd 32, Bloomfield, NY 14469

If you have ever wanted to get into Trapping and/or use it as part of your property management plan, this is the time. The Greater Rochester branch of NDA is hosting a Trapper Education weekend. There is no cost for the event for current NDA members. (Memberships are available online if you are not current NDA Membership) This is a class that is structured for adults. Participants must be 18 years of age or older.  The event is limited to 18 participants.

Saturday will be focused on the NYS Trappers Education class that will allow you to purchase the NYS trapping license. All the components of the class, as well as passing the test are required to get your certificate.

Similar to how we put on our Field To Fork program, we are continuing the class into a second day which will be more hands on and focus on areas of trapping that are not covered in great detail in the NY State Education Course. Topics for Sunday will include hands on set making for various style traps; Use of scents, baits and lures; skinning and fur handling to name a few.  

Pre-registration is required. Please contact Bob Rose, Branch President. Please provide your NDA member number, name, address, email, and phone number.

Lunch will be provided by the Branch on Saturday.  

[email protected]  

RAIN OR SHINE   

Confirmed participants will have to register through a link I will provide and  MUST complete homework prior to attending an in-person course. Proof of completed homework must be brought to the in-person course. The homework can take several hours to complete.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Few spots left. Trust me. there is NEVER going to be a better time or deal to get your license, even if you think you may want to do this down the road at some point. I am not posting this to the public but will tell those on here that while you need to be a member (I think the cost is $35), the branch will be providing lunch on Saturday, buying a year membership to the Genesee Valley Trappers Assoc, buying your trapping license for this year and will have a few surprise gifts for you to take home. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
People get discouraged real quick .People (most)don’t want to get up everyday ,check traps ,then cash their furs in for nothing .

You pretty much nailed it! I stopped trapping 30+ years ago for those exact reasons AND it interfered too much with bow hunting! LOL I’m thinking about trapping again, purely for predator control. I can hunt and trap out my back door now, so it wouldn’t be such an inconvenience and so time consuming running around to check traps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Well we had a beautiful couple days. Class was small becasue we had a few cancellations becasue of they had to isolate due to COVID exposure. They took the class on Saturday, the branch provided lunch and all passed and received their certificate. There were demos of different sets and explanations of locations and reading sign. The branch bought them a 1 year membership at the Genesee Valley Trappers Association and their first year trapping license. Sunday started with the participants making sets and getting use to handling foot hold traps, body gripping traps and dogproof traps.  We then went to a skinning session and after a demo each participant got to skin a fox and learned to properly flesh and board a fox and coyote.  The day ended with each participant taking home a 110 body gripping trap, 2 differnt styles of dogproofs and two Bridger #2  Offset dogless foot holds.  I think everyone had a good time and took some good info and many stories home with them. 

Some pics of the session. 

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3816 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

• Like 4

I used to trap back when I was a kid, but it's been a whole bunch of years since I had a line out. Since my trapping days, the requirement for a trapping education certificate was put into play. And as a matter of fact, I have forgotten a whole bunch about trapping. I late for this one, but if you become aware of any other trapper education courses, I would be interested in attending. Genesee Valley Trappers Association is just over the hill from my place (10-15 minutes away) and so that would be my preferred location.

So if you , or anyone else) hears of another course coming up there, I would appreciate it if you could post a heads up, and I will try to make that one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

I used to trap back when I was a kid, but it's been a whole bunch of years since I had a line out. Since my trapping days, the requirement for a trapping education certificate was put into play. And as a matter of fact, I have forgotten a whole bunch about trapping. I late for this one, but if you become aware of any other trapper education courses, I would be interested in attending. Genesee Valley Trappers Association is just over the hill from my place (10-15 minutes away) and so that would be my preferred location.

So if you , or anyone else) hears of another course coming up there, I would appreciate it if you could post a heads up, and I will try to make that one.

GVTA is actually where we did the class.  They had 4 people that helped as instructors and they did a great job.  I'll keep my ear open. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club