An Ethiopian Feast

moog5050

We have our young brother Tilahun “T” staying with us.  He is from Ethiopia and receiving treatment for cancer here in Rochester.   Decided to order some of his home cuisine tonight.  Had to eat with our hands like they do in Ethiopia.   You basically use the “bread” to pick up the food.  It was pretty darn good I must say.  Never tried Ethiopian before.   That said, T is now hooked on cheeseburgers.  Lol

A88FE4E0-77BA-4775-B348-B451882C7043.jpeg

939512D9-0B0E-4A18-AC15-DB1A1E29FB9F.jpeg

• Like 26

Just now, Cabin Fever said:

Heart of gold Brian! Best wishes and prayers to T with for treatment!

Thanks Bob.  T is the toughest 19yr old I ever met.  Missing one leg, weighs 70lbs wet and has the heart of a lion.   Truly a blessing to know him and is taking on Chemo like no other.  He is inspirational!  

• Like 8

He sounds like a fantastic guy.  

My BIL and his now EX adopted two kids from Ethiopia. Fre was 8, Finley was only 18 months. Fre is now 27 and travels to Ethiopia every few yrs on a humanitarian trip. His sister Finley is 16 and has had some struggles with the current race issues. 

• Like 1

You are a strong fella that can lift a house and it sounds like this young guy is just as strong at 70lbs! Best of luck to him and good on you for being there. 

And I can barely not dump food on myself using a spoon.  I would have to eat naked. Lol.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

You are a strong fella that can lift a house and it sounds like this year guy is just as strong at 70lbs! Best of luck to him and good on you for being there. 

And I can barely not dump food on myself using a spoon.  I would have to eat naked. Lol.  

Lol.   I was a bit of a mess.  

T is strong where it really counts. His faith is tremendous Rob.  

• Like 2

Love trying new foods!! Best wishes to the young man! Sounds like a fine guy! And you have a great big heart my friend. I have never met you, some day. But you show us how God wants us to be there for others. We need so much more of that in this world today. When it comes down to it we are all more similar than we are different.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

But do you eat stew with your hands.   Interesting experience.    T was much neater than me. 

Imho, there's nothing better after a hard fought day than getting sloppy at the table with family. I can see them now, laughing at you with the big ol' gravy stain on your shirt lol. I'm sure you took it in stride.

Strong body, STRONG mind. Keep him fueled up for the fight!

All the best to you and T.

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

....if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move...

Matthew 17:20

I love Ethiopian food. Usually comes out with a huge injera or flatbread on a platter with dollops of the various meat and vegetables. Tear off a little piece, scoop some meat and consume. Very communal way of eating.

image.png.ce4f88169279f5ca360cbcc57f319ea9.png

I used to eat with my fingers in South India as well, but there the plate was a banana leaf which held rice and cooked foods. Grab some rice, mix with stew, eat. 

image.thumb.png.653d56dcb4331d3eccbdeb960643b946.png

Would love to have some good banana leaf again. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Lol.   I was a bit of a mess.  

Yeah, me too. Last time I ate Ethiopian, I wore much of it. Of course, that's not abnormal for me.

It's good that T is strong - and hopefully he will be stronger for having made it through. Prayers.

1 hour ago, left field said:

I love Ethiopian food. Usually comes out with a huge injera or flatbread on a platter with dollops of the various meat and vegetables. Tear off a little piece, scoop some meat and consume. Very communal way of eating.

image.png.ce4f88169279f5ca360cbcc57f319ea9.png

I used to eat with my fingers in South India as well, but there the plate was a banana leaf which held rice and cooked foods. Grab some rice, mix with stew, eat. 

image.thumb.png.653d56dcb4331d3eccbdeb960643b946.png

Would love to have some good banana leaf again. 

Yep, the rolled up stuff in the second picture is all injera.   It was more filing than expected too.

2 minutes ago, left field said:

It's very tasty and addictive, so easy to overeat. Did it pass muster with him?

T said it was very good and authentic.  But he laughed because he only eats meat on holidays there.   Way too expensive.   Injera plus the two veggie sides (won't even attempt to spell them) is typically a full meal.

Best wishes to that young man and his treatment; it's great we can share some positivity on here.

Best wish and I wear my supper, do they provide a bib as my beard can only catch so much?

I now try to match my shirt color to what we're eating that night...no joke that's where I am !!!

• Like 1