Broadhead Recommendations

Chef

16 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Another negative i have about mechanicals is on really windy days i like to slow walk into the bedding area . If the head runs through weeds and stuff it can deploy the blades. 

This is why I bailed on rage.  All the time the blades were out of the collar.  Using grim reaper whitetail specials. They have been great and no issues with the blades coming out til they hit. Huge cut in and out on them.

I have eyed the swackers if for some reason I couldn't get the grims I would try those. 

I shoot muzzys on my xbow and they have worked well. 

This is why I bailed on rage.  All the time the blades were out of the collar.  Using grim reaper whitetail specials. They have been great and no issues with the blades coming out til they hit. Huge cut in and out on them.
I have eyed the swackers if for some reason I couldn't get the grims I would try those. 
I shoot muzzys on my xbow and they have worked well. 

I used the chinese rages one year and they were always popping out of the collar. More aggravation than theyre worth. Im going to the two blade that @sodfather used last year. His results were impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Which one? I’m thinking about going single bevel for my moose hunt. I’ve only ever shot mechanicals so also hunting for a fixed blade. 

I had some grizzlystick samurai last year,but they were 125 gr and vented. I thought they whistled some in flight because of the vents. I went to 200 gr solid ones this year. I went with cutthroat since they are one piece and a tough steel.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I had some grizzlystick samurai last year,but they were 125 gr and vented. I thought they whistled some in flight because of the vents. I went to 200 gr solid ones this year. I went with cutthroat since they are one piece and a tough steel.

Do you match the bevel to the direction of the fletching or do you think it’s also necessary to map both to the natural rotation of the bare shaft?

27 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

On to my second year with the cutthroat love them fantastic results but at $75 a three pack you might want to get a sharpener to keep for awhile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Do you match the bevel to the direction of the fletching or do you think it’s also necessary to map both to the natural rotation of the bare shaft?

I think it should all match,though the least important would be the rotation of the bareshaft I think because that is the easiest to overcome. The bevel of the blade doesn't really make the arrow spin much in my opinion until it hits the target and I suppose you would loose some energy if the blade bevel and arrow rotation  are opposite. I don't think it is much energy loss because the arrow rotation induced by the fletch will stop as soon as you hit your target. Then the bevel of the blade cutting will make the arrow rotate. 

• Like 1

Slick Trick standards and Grim Reaper razortips or razor cuts. They have been reliable. Overcame a few poor shot results by me over the years.

I’m definitely not in the game of changing things when it works personally. If I had to pick another BH on the market, it’d probably be with one of the larger companies just to ensure availability and higher chance the BH will be around for a long while. I wouldn’t want change put on me as much as possible. Same goes for arrows. Little aggravated me more than having to redial in a bow or BH tune, etc when it’s not my choice lol. I just view it as time that could have been better spent.

On to my second year with the cutthroat love them fantastic results but at $75 a three pack you might want to get a sharpener to keep for awhile.

I believe my fletchings are not left or right but strait on would this matter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to make sure they are razor sharp,any broadhead should be,but I am sure you know a thing or two about sharpening knives.

Haha yea I’ve sharpened a few in my day

On 7/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, Chef said:

Haha yea I’ve sharpened a few in my day

i will say that's a welcomed skill. 2nd to last Field to Fork new hunter i mentored was a chef and he had a budget Buck knife set we gave him. he had them shaving sharp when it came time to field dress and take care of his deer. evening hunt on a Sunday so it was getting well after dark teaching him how to quarter it and pull the rest off the carcass. he was capable of taking it from there.  when i explained each step little more was needed because he could handle a knife well and stayed with the bones. made quick easy work. 

i will say that's a welcomed skill. 2nd to last Field to Fork new hunter i mentored was a chef and he had a budget Buck knife set we gave him. he had them shaving sharp when it came time to field dress and take care of his deer. evening hunt on a Sunday so it was getting well after dark teaching him how to quarter it and pull the rest off the carcass. he was capable of taking it from there.  when i explained each step little more was needed because he could handle a knife well and stayed with the bones. made quick easy work. 

That’s pretty cool. I did take some rudimentary butchery classes in culinary school. That being said no one taught me how to field dress or butcher a deer I did it on my own from videos and what I thought made sense. I will say some of the stuff I have figured out its pretty cool