Looking for advice on managing mature pines

My property I own used to hold lots of deer they would always bed on the property. The past 3 years have stopped bedding on the property. The pines the use to bed in are very big some 4ft+ diameter. What can I do to help improve the pines to hold deer again? It's not over pressured throughout the year or hunting season usually hunt the property around 10 days out of the whole season so there is not much pressure. 

• Like 1

Not everyone does it. The guy that did mine past away several years ago but that was all he did. He would cut and stack and trucks came down from Canada and picked it up and hauled it back. Getting that sunlight on the ground made it nasty thick with briars and pine trees. Certain spots I can't even walk through. My pines are a mix of Red and White.

Edited by bigpaul
add info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kmorgan8999 said:

My property I own used to hold lots of deer they would always bed on the property. The past 3 years have stopped bedding on the property. The pines the use to bed in are very big some 4ft+ diameter. What can I do to help improve the pines to hold deer again? It's not over pressured throughout the year or hunting season usually hunt the property around 10 days out of the whole season so there is not much pressure. 

Drop them and replant. Leave the tops for cover while new ones grow..

• Like 1

Call a forester or local amish they love white pine.  Kings trees.. use to be made into  ships masts and all white pine belonged to the crown in colonial times.  Forester will find market for them or be able to move you in right direction to  remove some

• Like 2

Im guessing they are white pine due to size? Id leave a few Randoms and cut the rest down. Depending on their shape they make good thermal cover, though yours are probably to mature for them to be useful as thermal cover. Cut them in the winter, and deer will browse them as well. Then Let it all regrow back. or place some soft and hard mast trees strategic to your access and stand placement, Amish will use the lumber if you have any living nearby. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't cut them. Most probably aren't good for anything you'd need if they're that big around. Call a Forester that can certify your land and sell it to pulp and paper co. If you have any hardwood seed trees then great otherwise plant some. The mix of conifer and hardwoods only helps spread acorns as long as empty space with light hitting the ground is there. Pull up any buckthorn or multiflora rose early if it starts to claim space.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

On 7/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, kmorgan8999 said:

Pine actually has a decent timber value depending on how tall and straight they are.

Loggers are paying $100-150 a thousand. Less than the more valuable hardwoods but often has  twice the footage for an equal size tree at breast height.

Either way it sounds like they should be removed.  No nutritional value and nothing grows under a mature pine..