Scam alert !!!

luberhill

So I have an ad wanting to hit a Remington 243 automatic on this site ..

Today I get an email , see below, and it gives me an email if a guy that has one ..

I email him and ask for price and pics ..

He sends back pics if a brand new 700 bolt… I explained I was looking for a 243 auto..

He reply’s oops, I have the auto too…

Sends me two pics of a rem auto and says this is a very nice 6mm rem.. which it was ..but I reminded him I wanted a 243

He says “ my mistake sorry it is a 243, he wants 580.00 with the scope ..

I say that’s fair how do we proceed ..

He says I need payment thru either PP Friends and Family or Venmo ..

I said “ how about a bank check from my credit union , he said “ no , I’m I overdraft so only PP Friends or Venmo “

So now the stink test is getting worse…

So I Google Remington model 7400 and go to images …guess what ?

Yup here’s the exact pics on GunsAmerica for sale in PA

This dude said he’s in Az

So I email and ask for a few different pics…

Last I heard …

Scammers puss me off !!!

6481D429-471B-4B45-B23A-763FBFB2E116.png

I’ve used tineye , a reverse image search , you upload an image, and it searches the net to see when and where that pic was used .

In the watch world , there’s “ trusted sellers “ guys with 100’s of positive reviews makes things pretty safe .

• Like 4

Hmm. I got tagged on here last week by a scammer. First time ever, and I feel like a fool. I had a guy reply to a post I made looking for an RCBS Rock Chucker. He emailed me photos, and we made a deal. He said he'd like to be paid with Zelle. I sent funds and haven't heard from him since. I've emailed, texted and called him...nothing. I even thanked him on a subsequent post after we made the deal!!!!

Oh well, lesson learned. I always thought Zelle offered protections. Like I said, I've never been played before. It won't happen again. At least I'm only out 120 bucks. It could have been a lot worse.

Beware, his tag here was Keeney143, though I'm sure he doesn't use the same tag twice. I wonder if he's the same guy...

EDIT: So, I'm still looking for a Rock Chucker press in good shape.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1

Ha!

I just did what luberhill did. I Googled RCBS Rock Chucker and went to images...and guess what I found.

It was sold on Shooter's supply in Jan. of 2020. And this guy even used the product description, word for word, and the original seller's first name!!!

Ya know what, if he needs to pull sh*t like that, he needs it worse than me. But Karma, ah Karma,..... she's a beautiful thing.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1

Most of these people aren’t even in the US.

Have to be careful. Had a guy in one of my FB groups try to pull that stuff and saw that he got several in another group for a few thousand. 

One thing you can do besides using PayPal Goods - and that isn’t foolproof - is ask them to coin the item with the image in it.

Coin = setting a piece of paper with the sellers name, the buyers name, and the date on the item and taking a photo. This proves at least they have the item in hand. This can be photoshopped but generally a written piece of paper is hard to PS cleanly.

Also always use a CC to pay for it via PayPal or whatever medium so you can claim fraud on your card.

Also never buy from someone new and clearly a scammer…..

• Like 3

I once had a guy send me an empty box that was supposed to contain downriggers, just to keep me from filing a claim with PayPal. He photo'd the box at the post office and everything. How'd I know it was fake? Shipping weight was 2 lbs, and the dummy left the tag on the box so I could read it. PayPal wanted me to keep after him but I said no way, this is why I pay through you, and they actually came through for me. I don't know if they ever went after the guy himself, but he mailed the boxes from a postal office near where somebody with the name he provided me lived, so...maybe? Not the sharpest tool in the shed though.

39 minutes ago, phade said:

Most of these people aren’t even in the US.

Have to be careful. Had a guy in one of my FB groups try to pull that stuff and saw that he got several in another group for a few thousand. 

One thing you can do besides using PayPal Goods - and that isn’t foolproof - is ask them to coin the item with the image in it.

Coin = setting a piece of paper with the sellers name, the buyers name, and the date on the item and taking a photo. This proves at least they have the item in hand. This can be photoshopped but generally a written piece of paper is hard to PS cleanly.

Also always use a CC to pay for it via PayPal or whatever medium so you can claim fraud on your card.

Also never buy from someone new and clearly a scammer…..

When I asked for a specific shot of the action open with the clip removed I never heard back

2 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

Beware, his tag here was Keeney143, though I'm sure he doesn't use the same tag twice. I wonder if he's the same guy...

EDIT: So, I'm still looking for a Rock Chucker press in good shape.

Eagle , here is his posted content . He has 10 posts since March and was here last Thursday so he is still around. Looks like a scammer. Unfortunately the internet is full of them. 

https://huntingny.com/forums/profile/11510-keeney143/content/

21 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Eagle , here is his posted content . He has 10 posts since March and was here last Thursday so he is still around. Looks like a scammer. Unfortunately the internet is full of them. 

https://huntingny.com/forums/profile/11510-keeney143/content/

Yeah, I saw that 10 post count the day after I sent the funds. That was my uh oh moment. I was 95% sure then that the pooch was screwed.

7 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

A good move before sending money to someone is to ask for a pic of their drivers license. If they’re legit, they should have no problem with that. 

Seems like a good idea, but guys like this probably have a wallet full of phony licenses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

Seems like a good idea, but guys like this probably have a wallet full of phony licenses.

Maybe. But there are many ways to check an address and a name. The easiest that I could think of would be my OnX app or by doing an online search. 

I posted my story on buying a pressure canner here before. They  were hard to find at the time, i bought one, it was coming from China , odd since it’s made in like Wisconsin….

Tracking number The Whole bit , shows delivered . I end up making calls etc . I get the address UPS said they delivered it to, I actually went there to see if they had a random package that wasn’t theirs ….

All I can figure is the scammer gave me an actual tracking # from the  ups system somehow .

Pay pal and UPS were zero help , CC refunded my $