Scam alert !!!

luberhill

5 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I’m on another gun forum and recently there was a scammer on there as well. He would always say that he had a friend who was selling what you were looking for. 

Wonder how many people that actually get away with scamming 

2 hours ago, luberhill said:

Wonder how many people that actually get away with scamming 

I would say close to 100% . Law enforcement is not going to get involved for a few hundred bucks, especially across state lines ,never mind countries. A victim of fraud from someone you can’t even ID ,file with your CC . I was blown off bY both UPS and PayPal , CC company was great though .

I know someone who’s laptop was stolen,and she had some sort of tracking or find my phone thing . It showed the exact house it was in ,in another state . Contracted LEO there and they said ,cant do anything .

I would say close to 100% . Law enforcement is not going to get involved for a few hundred bucks, especially across state lines ,never mind countries. A victim of fraud from someone you can’t even ID ,file with your CC . I was blown off bY both UPS and PayPal , CC company was great though .
I know someone who’s laptop was stolen,and she had some sort of tracking or find my phone thing . It showed the exact house it was in ,in another state . Contracted LEO there and they said ,cant do anything .

Few years back a kid of a friend of mine “lost” her cell phone. Father tracked it to a less than stellar neighborhood. He drove over and found the apartment complex, found a few “gentlemen” standing outside the building where the phone was. Told them that he just wants the phone back and asked for their help before he called the police. They came back with the phone in 10 minutes.
Now a days, not sure I would take that approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I found the same photos Alex sent me on guns America being sold by Benny in Georgia with a sold bid .

Alex told me the gun is in Arizona...

I hate scum bags .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 2

I've bought, sold, traded, given away, and received many things from members of this forum. With never a single problem!  It really ticks me off to have scammers invade here. Guess that's just the way it is these days. Pretty damn sad. Wish I could catch one of these scumbags! Got some hungry coyotes out past the back 40!

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I found the same photos Alex sent me on guns America being sold by Benny in Georgia with a sold bid .

Alex told me the gun is in Arizona...

I hate scum bags .

Yup , he will tell u he wants to do the transfer thru Shane’s Enterprises in Az

Not sure if that’s even a legit place anymore … may be part of the scam ?

19 minutes ago, grampy said:

I've bought, sold, traded, given away, and received many things from members of this forum. With never a single problem!  It really ticks me off to have scammers invade here. Guess that's just the way it is these days. Pretty damn sad. Wish I could catch one of these scumbags! Got some hungry coyotes out past the back 40!

Agree I have sold a few things here and never an issue at all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

2 hours ago, luberhill said:

Agree I have sold a few things here and never an issue at all

Yep. I think that's part of why I got played. I've always thought of this site as all sunshine and buttercups, and never expected that kind of shit from the good fellows that play here. I let my guard down and paid for it. My feelings sting more than my wallet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eaglemountainman said:

Yep. I think that's part of why I got played. I've always thought of this site as all sunshine and buttercups, and never expected that kind of shit from the good fellows that play here. I let my guard down and paid for it. My feelings sting more than my wallet.

Trouble is I’m sure it’s hard to scrutinize members when they join

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

Few years back a kid of a friend of mine “lost” her cell phone. Father tracked it to a less than stellar neighborhood. He drove over and found the apartment complex, found a few “gentlemen” standing outside the building where the phone was. Told them that he just wants the phone back and asked for their help before he called the police. They came back with the phone in 10 minutes.
Now a days, not sure I would take that approach.

Sent from my iPhone using 

Edited by Nomad

Luberhill- I had an issue with some guy a few months back myself, and fortunately like you, did NOT fall for his bs(non-forum related).  Individual was adamant about “friends/family” through PayPal….which I learned by calling PayPal direct, that by sending funds this way, cannot be disputed after money is sent, plus there also is no hold on the money before being available to recipient, where as if sent through “products/services” you have I believe 180 days to dispute, and open a case, etc. I just figured I’d add this, because i was unaware of exactly how all this worked.  

• Like 2

I have also fallen for such a scam, but on marketplace. Decided to buy a car and put down deposit on car via venmo and went to pick up with trailer next day.

Car was advertised with 90k miles and barely any rust except for one spot shown in pictures.

Upon arrival the car had 185k miles, front end damaged and bad repair job like some one hammered the fender frame and rockers out..horrible. The seller became aggressive upon my pointing out these issues and asking for the refund.

I walked away feeling angry and sad that I got taken for such a ride but that is life. I ate that loss and to this day the scammer disappeared from marketplace. I am sure he will open up a new account and scam some one else similarly.

22 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I have also fallen for such a scam, but on marketplace. Decided to buy a car and put down deposit on car via venmo and went to pick up with trailer next day.

Car was advertised with 90k miles and barely any rust except for one spot shown in pictures.

Upon arrival the car had 185k miles, front end damaged and bad repair job like some one hammered the fender frame and rockers out..horrible. The seller became aggressive upon my pointing out these issues and asking for the refund.

I walked away feeling angry and sad that I got taken for such a ride but that is life. I ate that loss and to this day the scammer disappeared from marketplace. I am sure he will open up a new account and scam some one else similarly.

That is exactly my situation.  I was the seller though, guy asked me if he could leave a deposit…I said sure, so he PayPal’d $1,000.  through products/services, so I had to accept the money by “confirming receipt” basically….i also had to pay $27 to accept that $1k….anyways, I removed the listing, and 5 days later he backs out, asking for money back….My vehicle was showroom and a 110% honest listing…he told me he hadn’t asked his wife for permission to buy something of that cost….BS…he was using his wife’s PayPal account!  I gave him such a hard time over that, and did send his money back, but through products/services too, and minus my legit expenses he accrued.  Well the guy ended up refunding the refund…yeah made no sense.  At that point, I flipped out on him, and told him NOW we can wait 2-3 days to be sure the refund BACK to me clears on MY END.  He insisted that he refunded the refund back to me due to the expense PayPal keeps for the service of it.  Seemed shady as hell to me….who would offer someone a $1k deposit on a vehicle from Craigslist, and back out, and not be like thank god the seller refunded me?? Then send it back…I am still like WTF over it.  He even opened, and escalated a case on me over it…PayPal refunded the expenses to me, etc because they said it sounded shady, and they were to investigate his other transactions on there. I live in the Catskills, and this individual lives in Rochester area….I hate selling vehicles, especially on Craigslist, but where I live it really leaves no other option, especially with such a unique vehicle that it was.  This situation proved no different 

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

I had a motor home on FB for sale for 45k

A guy called me and asked me a bunch of questions and said he was from Idaho and wanted it IF it was what I said .

Im picky and described it to a T

He said he would send me 1000.00 wired to my bank account .

I called my bank and spoke to my buddy the manager . He said we will open a brand new account , give him that number , after the funds are cleared transfer into my main account.

I told the guy if he gets here and jerks me around at all I’m keeping the deposit .

All went fine .. he flew to Syracuse and took an Uber to look at the MH.

Said he wanted it , called his bank and wired the rest of the money .I told him I’m holding it and the title until Tuesday were cleared..

Next day by noon they cleared and were put into my other account and the guy drove it home !

What I thought would be a mess turned out fine !

• Like 4