Fixed blade advice.

mowin

Been shooting Rage 100g two blades for yrs.  Never a issue. Killed countless deer. No failure even at 50lb draw.

However I'm dropping to 45 or even maybe 42lbs.

Looking for a REPLACEABLE blade broadhead. Remember, I'm probably going to be shooting a 500 spine arrow. 

Have went with muzzy 100gr 3 blade fixed for years and have worked.went with grim reaper hades in 100gr 3 blade fixed this past year and was also happy with entry and exit.shot placement is key!!!!!dont have any true insight on expandable's as i dont use them.just my two suggestions for fixed 

1 hour ago, Waterfowler said:

Extremely happy with Ramcat 100’s.

Btw, had two failures with Rage hypodermics. 

Sorry, I've killed many deer with them. Every broadhead has failed stories. Most can be contributed to the angle of the shot not being what the hunter remembered. 

Only reason I want a fixed blade is because Rage doesn't recommend a poundage I'll be shooting.

Edited by mowin

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Sorry, I've killed many deer with them. Every broadhead has failed stories. Most can be contributed to the angle of the shot not being what the hunter remembered. 

Only reason I want a fixed blade is because Rage doesn't recommend a poundage I'll be shooting.

QAD exodus if the bow is tuned, if not then go with the ramcats

On 7/24/2021 at 9:50 PM, mowin said:

I don’t know about any broadhead having failed. I tried Rage for 2 seasons and had 3 failures, remembered a 3rd on a turkey that the blades broke on. 2 whitetail bucks. One buck both blades broke off and came out like a field tip. Second was another blade break with no penetration, found that buck months later with half my arrow in him. Both broadside and 18 and 21 yards. Conversely my Ramcat penetrated right through a mature buck shoulder blade and out other side. Have pics on all of it .Contacted Rage and sent pics to them. In 35 yrs of bowhunting and a lot of deer later, never had a fixed fail.

• Like 1

Slick Trick Standard in 100 gr. IMO.

The amount of weight people put on BH failure vs Hunter failure or even crap happens shooting is mind boggling to me. 

I can recall BHs being messed up pretty bad after a shot...missing blades, bent ferrules, etc. I can't recall a time where I said the BH failed and it wasn't me or my poor decisions, or just extremely bad luck in a hunting situation.

It's the Indian, not the bow. If we're allowed to even say that anymore?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, phade said:

Slick Trick Standard in 100 gr. IMO.

The amount of weight people put on BH failure vs Hunter failure or even crap happens shooting is mind boggling to me. 

I can recall BHs being messed up pretty bad after a shot...missing blades, bent ferrules, etc. I can't recall a time where I said the BH failed and it wasn't me or my poor decisions, or just extremely bad luck in a hunting situation.

It's the Indian, not the bow. If we're allowed to even say that anymore?

Can’t speak for other people but in my 2 whitetail cases, do you think it was something I did? 35 yrs experience, broadside at 18 and 21 yards right behind the shoulder with properly weighted arrows It was 100 percent broadhead failure.

3 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

Can’t speak for other people but in my 2 whitetail cases, do you think it was something I did? 35 yrs experience, broadside at 18 and 21 yards right behind the shoulder with properly weighted arrows It was 100 percent broadhead failure.

Obviously I wasnt there but I'll take your word for the shot being good ,it seems odd that flesh would rip both blades off a rage.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Obviously I wasnt there but I'll take your word for the shot being good ,it seems odd that flesh would rip both blades off a rage.

I agree, strange. One of the two hit a rib as would be expected broadside. If I can figure out how to post pics and have the time I’ll post them. 

I've had great luck with the rage hypodermic and Probably 1/2 dozen deer with the cheap chinese version.The 1st mechanical I used was a grim reaper. They worked great but imo need a higher poundage to reliably get pass through in the case of a shoulder bade hit ,etc..

I've  shot 2 deer right though both shoulder blades with pass through. Both heads were junk afterwards but the deer died in under 40yds in sight.. I switched to mechanicals because ,if I have a poor shot ,it's ussually too far back and the huge hole has allowed for easier recoveries.

16 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That is kind of where I am going too in general. If a shot is "money" then it's money for a reason. An unopened rage still has a cutting surface as do most mechanicals. Same with one that gets all banged up. If you get poor penetration say for hitting the shoulder knuckle, then I'd look at the hunter making a bad choice about shot placement, proper bowing of the arrow/BH combo, etc. 

I stuck the largest buck that I have ever drawn on in the shoulder knuckle at 30 yards. haunts me to this day. Tracked that dang thing a country mile. Gives me nightmares - 1" difference of placement would have resulted in the kill, or a different BH/arrow set-up. All of those my fault. All I have is heartache and the back 22" of my arrow that snapped off.

31 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I've had great luck with the rage hypodermic and Probably 1/2 dozen deer with the cheap chinese version.The 1st mechanical I used was a grim reaper. They worked great but imo need a higher poundage to reliably get pass through in the case of a shoulder bade hit ,etc..

I've  shot 2 deer right though both shoulder blades with pass through. Both heads were junk afterwards but the deer died in under 40yds in sight.. I switched to mechanicals because ,if I have a poor shot ,it's ussually too far back and the huge hole has allowed for easier recoveries.

The reason you switched is the reason I tried them for one season. Some nasty holes on shots too far back. 

i am sharing my honest experiences with them. Really don’t care what other people use. For me they were horrible. I  know a lot of people love them and defend them like you spoke about their mother. IMO too much to go wrong with mechanicals not to mention the energy it takes to open. There’s enough things to go wrong in bow hunting so I eliminate that one. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

The reason you switched is the reason I tried them for one season. Some nasty holes on shots too far back. 

i am sharing my honest experiences with them. Really don’t care what other people use. For me they were horrible. I  know a lot of people love them and defend them like you spoke about their mother. IMO too much to go wrong with mechanicals not to mention the energy it takes to open. There’s enough things to go wrong in bow hunting so I eliminate that one. 

I respect that.. I'm not a tinkerer(there is a word..lol) so I will probably stick with them.

Nothing is a 100% though.  I have lost a deer due to hitting backbone on a really steep angled shot. Probably would have gotten that one if I had a tough cut on contact traditional head.. 

• Like 1

You should shoot a fixed 3 blade, reliable like a g5 Montec or alike. solid 1 piece design. I also think you should shoot a stiffer arrow. with added weight. IF you can shoot a 340 or 300 spine arrow, with heavier foc. and a fixed blade. you will have pass throughs every single time, and if you can switch to a single bevel 2 blade broadhead you will break into heavy bone as well, provided you missed your mark. 

I highly recommend not shooting a lighter spongier arrow, as you drop in draw weight, you actually want to increase your arrow weight for ethical kills and lighter draw weight setups. Not saying you wont with what you have. but you'd be surprised what your setup will do on a whitetail by beefing your arrow up, even if it slows down 20fps. check out some you tube videos and see the research. well worth it  

My .02$

• Like 1

i would def pick a fixed blade if i shot a light poundage.  But i am shooting 64# on a 29" draw with a 340 spine/ 9.3 arrow. this setup does some damage.  So i feel like i am adding another advantage with the mechanical if i do happen to have poor shot placement.  And i also shoot a three blade mechanical with a real tough tip (grim reaper whitetails).  They all work if in the boiler room.  I basically switched off from Rages cause they were a PITA coming loose on my bow.  Killed deer fine but looked over and my blade was hanging out all the time and it was embarrasing!  lol 

4 hours ago, Waterfowler said:

I don’t know about any broadhead having failed. I tried Rage for 2 seasons and had 3 failures, remembered a 3rd on a turkey that the blades broke on. 2 whitetail bucks. One buck both blades broke off and came out like a field tip. Second was another blade break with no penetration, found that buck months later with half my arrow in him. Both broadside and 18 and 21 yards. Conversely my Ramcat penetrated right through a mature buck shoulder blade and out other side. Have pics on all of it .Contacted Rage and sent pics to them. In 35 yrs of bowhunting and a lot of deer later, never had a fixed fail.

40 yrs of bow hunting, 20 plus yrs of using mechanicals and lots of deer later, I've never had a mechanical fail. I did however have a fixed blade fail. Had a bear razor hit a shoulder and it bent in the shape of a"L".  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

You should shoot a fixed 3 blade, reliable like a g5 Montec or alike. solid 1 piece design. I also think you should shoot a stiffer arrow. with added weight. IF you can shoot a 340 or 300 spine arrow, with heavier foc. and a fixed blade. you will have pass throughs every single time, and if you can switch to a single bevel 2 blade broadhead you will break into heavy bone as well, provided you missed your mark. 

I highly recommend not shooting a lighter spongier arrow, as you drop in draw weight, you actually want to increase your arrow weight for ethical kills and lighter draw weight setups. Not saying you wont with what you have. but you'd be surprised what your setup will do on a whitetail by beefing your arrow up, even if it slows down 20fps. check out some you tube videos and see the research. well worth it  

My .02$

That makes a lot of sense.  Last few deer were a pass through using rage, but I was shooting around 48lbs. 

I'll grab some heavier arrows and do some testing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

40 yrs of bow hunting, 20 plus yrs of using mechanicals and lots of deer later, I've never had a mechanical fail. I did however have a fixed blade fail. Had a bear razor hit a shoulder and it bent in the shape of a"L".  

Have better things to do than argue with strangers. Like I said, just sharing my experiences. Have at it with whatever you want. Just trying to help

After last fall, I decided to go back to fixed blade. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and decided to go with Grim Reaper Hades Pro Series. Haven't shot them yet, but they are suppose to shoot just like field points and leave great bloodtrails. 

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense.  Last few deer were a pass through using rage, but I was shooting around 48lbs. 
I'll grab some heavier arrows and do some testing.

Sounds good. I might add some heavier inserts to your setup or heavy field points/broadheads. If your bow is tuned and your arrows have a decent amount of weight up front, they actually fly better as well.
Last year I machines my own heavier inserts out of brass. Went from about 428gr total arrow weight to 500gr and they went so much further into the target than before. The more I read and research. Everyone should really be shooting 5-550+ for when the shot misses and hits shoulder knuckles or spines. If you get time tinker around the idea. A lot of people want speed and flat.. but it loses more energy at 20 or even 50 than the heavier arrow does. The heavier arrow slows down less, and penetrates nearly the same at 20 as it does at 60. Some really cool science behind it I never realized. I’m switching to 2 blade single bevel, so I don’t have to pass up the quartering to shots. Send a heavy arrow right thru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk