Medical question

First-light

Just putting this out there to see if anyone else has ever had to deal with pelvic, groin or perineal area pain. About two months ago my hamstring/sciatica in my left leg was hurting. I run 4 miles a day and was stretching more often with the pain. I kept on running on it. So the day before Father's day I go for a run then go out to the garden to pull weeds. I bend over and like a ton of bricks my perineal area and groin feel like they are on fire. I ice up and go see my PCP and he thinks it's a groin pull. He sends me over to Orthopedics they take xray say could be pinched nerve. They give me steroids it gets a little better but then the pain gets worse. I see a Urologist that orders a CT scan. Of course insurance denies it and I got an ultrasound yesterday. I'm waiting for results. Still may need the CT scan. The pain is constant and distressing. I have pain killers but they kind of knock me out. Next step is to see a Neologist. I know long winded but just looking for some help. Helps to talk about it sometimes. 

Thanks,

FL

19 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Did you see a chiropractor? Maybe hips are misaligned?

Would b my suggestion aswell.wish i could help more!!!!buddy at work had a prob with leg going numb to point he was dragging it along a few times.went to chiropractor n popped something in hip area back in.chiro was thinkin it was from sittin on wallet all time at work.never woulda thought of it:mosking:.

It may be a case of sciatica.  I dealt with that in 2015 and it pretty much hobbled me up throughout all of deer season and then some that year.  I thought I was going to need a hip replacement but it turned out that a simple stretch, repeated several times daily, was the cure.

To do that stretch, you sit down on a chair.  Lift up your foot on the affected side, and place it on your knee on the opposite side while seated.  Push down on the affected knee with your hand to stretch the nerve.  Repeat several times. The first one made me feel a little better and after about a week of doing that every day, multiple times, the pain was all gone.

I have added that stretch to my daily workout since then and the pain has never returned.  I do that stretch on both sides 5 or so times, 3 days a week.  I hope that works for you.  The sciatic is the largest nerve in the body so it is no wonder that it can cause so much pain.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

thinkin it was from sittin on wallet all time at work.never woulda thought of it

I can’t drive more then an hour with my wallet in my back pocket before my leg starts to hurt . 

I can’t drive more then an hour with my wallet in my back pocket before my leg starts to hurt . 

After years of traveling for work i don’t even put my wallet in my back pocket most of the time any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Gabapentin I think it is for nerve dulling. It'll take some time to load up in your system.

I have had two back surgeries and have hip radiating nerve pain. Don't rule out back issues, esp in the lower back. I'd tell you what I did for the first surgery....but you won't want to hear it. I simply bent over to tie my boot laces. Pop....

1 minute ago, phade said:

Gabapentin I think it is for nerve dulling. It'll take some time to load up in your system.

I have had two back surgeries and have hip radiating nerve pain. Don't rule out back issues, esp in the lower back. I'd tell you what I did for the first surgery....but you won't want to hear it. I simply bent over to tie my boot laces. Pop....

Phade, You nailed the med. I bent over to pull weeds. Having an MRI of lower back and CT of pelvis. Had an ultrasound of pelvic over the weekend. 

12 minutes ago, skully said:

Give up jogging... In the long run jogging is actually worse for the body than maybe any exercise ... Walk on treadmill at incline.  You could burn just as many calories as jogging and more if you want........

Skully I have worked out seriously since the age of probably 15. You name it. Jogging was a way of life for me. I would run 4 miles every morning. You are right though. I'm 58 and if all that pounding on my back caused this so be it. I'm going to slow down and do more walking and light weight lifting. I need to be able to sit in a stand all day come October! lol 

20 minutes ago, skully said:

Give up jogging... In the long run jogging is actually worse for the body than maybe any exercise ... Walk on treadmill at incline.  You could burn just as many calories as jogging and more if you want........

I second that and say skip the treadmill also.  I never jogged, but my sciatica issues started soon after I started using a treadmill.  Even with that, the joint loading on your knees and hips is horrific. 

I switched to bikes and rowing machines for cardio (real boat or bike when outside weather is pleasant, indoor/stationary most of the time), and no more trouble.   The only jogging I do is in our 4 ft deep pool, where the water cushions the impact loads.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, First-light said:

Phade, You nailed the med. I bent over to pull weeds. Having an MRI of lower back and CT of pelvis. Had an ultrasound of pelvic over the weekend. 

I have a pharmacy's stock level of that stuff in my house.

It is not going to help overnight - without a doubt it takes a few weeks to fully do what it needs to do. Took me about a month before I noticed it helping honestly. 

• Like 1

Medication Gabapentin is wonderful. Got ultra sound report no issues with my organs. Had blood and urin taken Friday and an MRI of my lower spine. Insurance company pushing back on CT scan of pelvis. I'm sure it will happen just have to go through the motions. Thanks for the support  Gang!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I just don't want to leave this hanging with no update. So this happened last June it's almost a year. Have seen many Doctors but none of them really could nail it down. After the 6-7 month I started feeling better. Just got back to work 2 months ago and working out. I did start jogging again but much less. I feel like in the end nerve damage takes a long time to heel. Gabapentin really helped. My Neurologist was also wonderful. My move to the cabin full time is August. Last year at this time I never thought it would happen. Time heels all wounds. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have been taking Gabapentin for several years . I have been taking it for Restless Leg Syndrome and a muscle relaxer . It hasn't done anything for leg pain . 

p.s . --- I am finally getting the torn meniscus in my right knee repaired tomorrow .

• Like 1

I dont want to sound like Debbie downer but eventually Gabapentin stops working; like 2-3yrs in, initially they will up your dosage which eventually causes brain fog or worse IBS.

Next they will switch you to duloxetine which is SSNRI to help control your pain. 

I truly wish you a full recovery and that you dont need to continue on Gaba for much longer

Edited by suburbanfarmer

16 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I dont want to sound like Debbie downer but eventually Gabapentin stops working; like 2-3yrs in, initially they will up your dosage which eventually causes brain fog or worse IBS.

Next they will switch you to duloxetine which is SSNRI to help control your pain. 

I truly wish you a full recovery and that you dont need to continue on Gaba for much longer

Dosage of Gabapentin was reduced because of that issue. I'm on 60 mlg of Duloxetine. Seems to be working. You must be the resident Neurologist!!!! lol thanks for the info. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, First-light said:

Dosage of Gabapentin was reduced because of that issue. I'm on 60 mlg of Duloxetine. Seems to be working. You must be the resident Neurologist!!!! lol thanks for the info. 

Very happy to hear that for you and sadly not a Neuro but lived through it ;) 

The way I look at it, I have more in my past than in my future.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1