Tree Identification Video - Butternut

Pete Collin

Very nice video. The only thing I'll challenge is the wildlife eating black walnuts.  Have a few clients with black walnut trees, and haven't seen a squirrel, deer or any other critter eating them in 25 yrs. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mowin said:

Very nice video. The only thing I'll challenge is the wildlife eating black walnuts.  Have a few clients with black walnut trees, and haven't seen a squirrel, deer or any other critter eating them in 25 yrs. 

man the squirrels here love them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Oops I thought we were talking about butternuts , my bad

Haven't seen a butternut in my area. Realistically, I don't think I'd recognize a butternut if I didn't see this video.

All I can comment on is I haven't seen a red, gray squirrel, let alone deer, pay any attention to black walnuts. 

The shot where I show a bunch of gnawed nut shells on the ground is a mixture of walnut and butternut. I have 2 walnuts growing in my yard that are volunteer trees. They are far enough away from any potential parent trees that I assume a squirrel buried the nuts there and forgot about them.   Could be a chipmunk, too. 

Edited by Pete Collin
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, mowin said:

Haven't seen a butternut in my area. Realistically, I don't think I'd recognize a butternut if I didn't see this video.

All I can comment on is I haven't seen a red, gray squirrel, let alone deer, pay any attention to black walnuts. 

I see butternuts a lot in the fingerlakes area and see gray tree rats taking them and building stash’s 

9 hours ago, luberhill said:

I see butternuts a lot in the fingerlakes area and see gray tree rats taking them and building stash’s 

Interesting. Butternut must be more palatable. Do the tree rats in the finglakes eat the black walnuts? 

Never seen a butternut in my area, or if I did see one I definitely had no clue what it was, lol. 

11 hours ago, mowin said:

Theyll eat them- I feed the squirrels black walnut every day and they  gobble them right down, although I dont know if deer would eat them or not. I have read that they (the deer) will eat them , but dont prefer them. 

Another way to tell the difference is the aroma given off by the black walnuts branches and leaves (this only works when the trees are saplings or, relatively small so you can get to the branches!). It is much more pungent. I discovered this as a kid cuz my Gradnfather was a huge nut tree guy and had both species planted throughout his yard.  Great trees- theyre very dear to me; they remind me of him and and of my youth. :)

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Theyll eat them- I feed the squirrels black walnut every day and they  gobble them right down, although I dont know if deer would eat them or not. I have read that they (the deer) will eat them , but dont prefer them. 

Have a client who's yard is full of black walnut trees. In the 10 yrs I've been mowing his lawn, I've never seen a squirrel touch one. 

I enjoyed that video.  Thanks for posting it.

I made a butternut clock many years ago from lumber off our farm.  I still have a few pieces laying around somewhere.   

E898B738-9750-4951-B516-DB82605134E9.thumb.jpeg.2c0de0961a84dacc2043840022668130.jpeg Windsor chair is beautiful!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Otto said:

I enjoyed that video.  Thanks for posting it.

I made a butternut clock many years ago from lumber off our farm.  I still have a few pieces laying around somewhere.   

Windsor chair is beautiful!

Nice clock!  I lost my dad this spring.  He made over 100 clocks in his shop.  I have 2 of them.

• Like 3