7/26//2021-- POULTS SEEN!!

Mom came to my Lawn at 7.15am. I tried to snap a pic of the Turkey Poults- but they darted away into the Woods.

Mom stayed eating for 5 minutes and walked Briskly away with a low " Trilling". Not a Purr mind you. Followed this with soft yelping.

The Poults were all together just inside the woods.

ABOUT 5 OR 6 POULTS.

• Like 1

Sightings of poults in my neck of the Catskills have been very sparce. The two that I saw 2 weeks ago looked like day old chicks. I've seen a few hens with no poults also. Must not have been a good hatch in the western Catskills. Maybe too much rain.

• Sad 1

I have been seeing some in Northern Oneida County. A few hens with no p0ults, some with 3 or 4 poults, and a couple of large broods. Largest (that I could count) was 12 poults. Seeing some gobblers and a couple of jake bands.

• Thanks 1

The Mermaid and I worked up on the property today...I left before she did, but when she pulled out the driveway to go home there were three hens with three broods of poults in the driveway.  She said the biggest were pheasant size and the others were smaller, but all were feathered.. Nice to see we got some successful hatches  !!....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Danny said:

Saw mama crossing the road July 19th, Poults in tow 6-8 of them, was surprised to see them fly so young

one in mid-flight on in the tree 

49064C57-1429-4AE5-8F1D-6504801B19CF.jpeg.f37d40d687e115ba5ab5696e2433cdd6.jpeg

A Flying Poult. A Rare  Picture  indeed!

They can fly early in life. Wings and Flight muscles develop first so Poults can Fly that 12 Feet off the Ground and survive all their enemies if they are Quick enough.

• 1 month later...

I have seen a few small flocks with poults while driving around northern Cayuga and Oswego counties but none on the farm.  Today I finally saw a lone hen with 6 poults that were softball sized.  I don't know if they can put on enough weight to survive at this point.  She was very protective of her brood.

No poults here! The same 6 hens come to my yard every day, but none have poults. They go to the birdfeeder first, then feed in the clover in the back of the yard, before squatting down to lounge in the shade to rest, before feeding again. They typically come by 2x/day, but the other day they were out there for 8 1/2hrs straight!! I have 12+ cams scattered across a couple of neighboring properties, but these are the only hens that I've gotten pics of in the area. Pretty disturbing there isn't any new recruitment...

04821729-565A-4A73-9C93-95A2B99B4900.jpg

086670A7-9EF2-4850-9832-5C8C56510F3D.jpg

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1