Tell me about your puppy you all got

cynthiafu

So first not sure if Cooper is a gsp . He looks alot like one .  But what an ass. He is so dumb  but yet smart at the same time. He goes to classes but as soon as someone shows up all training is gone. Like he has never heard sit  or no  or your going to get punched in the head..  this dog of mine is crazy . If you are walking away from him he will jump on you from behind. He has destroy  everything out side in the yard  . He has gone over the 5 foot fence like it is not even there and brought back flower pots  shovels outside lights . Kill my husband's number 1 plant hubby was.not happy . Has Chewed my fence my swing the lawn mower . Goes in the shed and steals tools  . I walk him 3 times a day  we run 1 time a day  . He has 2 laundry baskets full of toys .  My poor ruby looks at me with  the why did you get him look  help me . He is big as a horse for 6 months old . My max was not like this crazy beast . 

20210727_080324.jpg

20210727_080331.jpg

20210727_080454.jpg

20210716_133039.jpg

20210525_172608.jpg

• Like 1

First thing is to beat his ass.  

Second thing is he needs to Run Run Run.   Tire his ass out!!  Then Run Run Run some more.  Throw a frisbee, get a ball throwing thingy.  

Now beat his ass again.  Who’s the boss here?

Just think, only another year and a half till he thinks about calming down. :)

Some of the above is in jest, you don’t want to hurt the cutie pie……

Just use the clicker and treat method . You'll end up with a dog addicted to treats but you'll have a well behaved dog . Rupert will stop on a dime in mid chase if you call his name . It's all about getting the dogs attention and keeping it.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Just use the clicker and treat method . You'll end up with a dog addicted to treats but you'll have a well behaved dog . Rupert will stop on a dime in mid chase if you call his name . It's all about getting the dogs attention and keeping it.

He is in classes but as soon as he leaves there he turns in to an ass . 

We have a fenced in yard but  he jumps it like  it is nothing .  He stands on the fence and grabs tree limbs and hangs off them . He plays by himself .if I play with him it last 2 throws of the duck  and then he is off racing around or playing in his pool . Can not keep his attention  for 5 minutes 

29 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

He is in classes but as soon as he leaves there he turns in to an ass . 

Rupert took classes and used the clicker in class . I would say after the first year you just stop using it all together . Also make sure the treats or food doesn have sugar in it ,that will make dogs get wild.

48 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I’ve always been told that dog training classes are for the humans and not the dogs. If you are re-enforcing what you’re taught in class and it’s not working, I’d try a different class. 

There was other dogs in our class that people spent a ton of money on that were complete morons . Everyone recieved the same training but some dogs just sucked at it.

Might help, but probably not. Wife and I rescued a pure bred yellow lab. Less than a yr old. Totally neglected, but not abused? Ish.... Meaning not beat, but emotionally neglected.

She's been the most challenging of any rescue we've taken in. ( At least 5 over the past 15 yrs). Put her in a crate day one. We had to wear foam ear plugs for the first week to be able to sleep. Her crate was the farthest away from our bedroom. 1st couple of weeks it was a challenge to get her into her crate. I actually had to trick her by reclining in my chair, and when she jumped upped, grabbed her collar and literally praising her with treats guiding her to her crate. 

Fast forward. We can leave her out with the other 2 muts, and she's been great. Except... She loves toilet paper.  If we leave TP on the holder in the master or main bath, we'll be coming home to TP confetti, lol.  

Morel of this post. He's a pup. Embrace it. Hate it. But know whatever he does, you rescued a pup that most likely would have been put down.

• Like 2