Fog And Vision

DirtTime

I was out this morning doing a bit of scouting. While standing on the edge of a clearing I watched a buck walk past just inside the wood line on the opposite side. It was a bit foggy, but I swore that deer had no velvet left on his antlers. I know it was just the lighting and the fog, yet it felt like it was late September with the temps being cooler then normal for the time of year. I would have loved to get a picture but by the time I blinked away the thought of too early for the antlers to be done he was gone as fast as he showed up.

It started that spark finally ( just haven't been feeling it yet, and was considering not even starting to hunt until late October when I'll be up north ) that a new deer season is almost here.

• Like 1

Still a bit early for hard antler at the end of July. But hey, anything's possible??

With all that has been going on in my life this year, I too am not really feeling the hunting bug yet. Also thinking of starting later this year. Waiting until mid to late October. Want to start trapping early this year, and honestly the early season is pretty slow around the farm the last few years. When I do go, it will be more for scouting than hunting. And from a distance, to not burn up our good spots until the big boys get on their feet more.

But we will see...... going to put some cams out soon.

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Still a bit early for hard antler at the end of July. But hey, anything's possible??

With all that has been going on in my life this year, I too am not really feeling the hunting bug yet. Also thinking of starting later this year. Waiting until mid to late October. Want to start trapping early this year, and honestly the early season is pretty slow around the farm the last few years. When I do go, it will be more for scouting than hunting. And from a distance, to not burn up our good spots until the big boys get on their feet more.

But we will see...... going to put some cams out soon.

I knew/know it was just the weather, it was just one of those times where you stare and blink simply because of the situation. My eyes were saying "Whaaa?", and my brain was saying "Ya gotta love fog and low light.".

I will say, I have seen a lot of really wonky things in the woods this year so far though. I think the oddest was watching a turkey chase a red squirrel- that was something I had never seen before.

i've seen heavy dew or moisture make glare. even more so with a smaller set of antlers like a spike, light can make velvet appear washed out and lighter in color if you're viewing it at the right angle with no changes in surfaces like a full rack would have.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, dbHunterNY said:

i've seen heavy dew or moisture make glare. even more so with a smaller set of antlers like a spike, light can make velvet appear washed out and lighter in color if you're viewing it at the right angle with no changes in surfaces like a full rack would have.

This was pretty much the way I thought about it after a few minutes. As I said it was just light and shadow playing tricks. It was pretty cool in a way at the same time, I don't know if a trail camera would pick up that type of thing and make it seem like it did through my eyes. It's also things like this that keep me going into the woods both to hunt or just spend time out in nature. You never know what you'll see even if the surroundings make you have to think for a minute.

Or, maybe it was aliens.

• Like 1