Should non-citizens of the US have the right to vote too?

Interesting article by a Guest Writer for NYT whos citizenship status is, guess what: Non-citizen!! 

Interesting article , to say the least , but wrong , IMHO at so many levels.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york-times-guest-citizens-right-vote

Also, heres a nice rebuttal to the article in a podcast by my man Tim Poole:

https://ugetube.com/watch/nyt-article-says-non-citizens-should-vote-notes-it-would-help-democrats-and-destroy-the-republicans_ThaKHId94lNJ69p.html

Am I right here or does she have a point, at least in local or state elections? 

Edited by Northcountryman

I agree w you , of course , but The authors argument is that long term residents who are not citizens are being denied the right to vote equates to “taxation without representation “ , a classic position championed by the right . My question is : Then , if they want to vote , why haven’t they become citizens yet ? Granted , I’m uN familiar with citizenship requirements so don’t know how involved it is

Non citizens profiting from the US are required to pay US taxes, but are not entitled to representation because they are not citizens of the US.  This is something that is clear to anyone making money in the US that is not a US citizen.

Giving them the power to vote, gives non citizens the power to influence US elected officials to work against the interests of their own citizens.

Only a leftist would propose such a thing, as it helps to destroy America.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 3:31 AM, Grouse said:

Non citizens profiting from the US are required to pay US taxes, but are not entitled to representation because they are not citizens of the US.  This is something that is clear to anyone making money in the US that is not a US citizen.

Giving them the power to vote, gives non citizens the power to influence US elected officials to work against the interests of their own citizens.

Only a leftist would propose such a thing, as it helps to destroy America.

Makes sense to me but again, some argued that it equates to taxation without representation. A few municipalities, cities in different parts of the country ( all in blue states I believe ) already allow it for local elections . Playing devils advocate here , What would be the harm In permitting them to vote locally , though ?

55 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Makes sense to me but again, some argued that it equates to taxation without representation. A few municipalities, cities in different parts of the country ( all in blue states I believe ) already allow it for local elections . Playing devils advocate here , What would be the harm In permitting them to vote locally , though ?

Answer - Only in America would an illegal alien be given the choice to vote in an election and only in a liberal governed state.

Laws only pertain to citizens or the persons going through the legal citizenship process, otherwise your considered illegal, or to a leftist, an undocumented dreamer.

I personally don't care how a person votes after becoming a legal citizen, it's the becoming a legal citizen part that I and everyone should care about.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Answer - Only in America would an illegal alien be given the choice to vote in an election and only in a liberal governed state.

Laws only pertain to citizens or the persons going through the legal citizenship process, otherwise your considered illegal, or to a leftist, an undocumented dreamer.

I personally don't care how a person votes after becoming a legal citizen, it's the becoming a legal citizen part that I and everyone should care about.

But But But .... what about the new Biden Voters whom just moved here ?  LOL

images.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Well, imagine if a lot of people from a certain country moved in and were able to control the majority of the vote in a local town.  The citizens would suddenly find their representatives catering to the non-citizens and their interests might not be in line with what the citizens want.  EX: Pushing to stop flying the American flag in town as an extreme example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DirtTime said:

What if they vote Republican? Is that OK?

"I personally don't care how a person votes after becoming a legal citizen, it's the becoming a legal citizen part that I and everyone should care about."

From a post above. 

There are multiple cases of areas that were in fluxed with a lot of refugees and it changed the political landscape there.

I/E- ILhan Omar's political career was launched in a very heavily refugee populated Somali-American area of Minnesota.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

"I personally don't care how a person votes after becoming a legal citizen, it's the becoming a legal citizen part that I and everyone should care about."

From a post above. 

There are multiple cases of areas that were in fluxed with a lot of refugees and it changed the political landscape there.

I/E- ILhan Omar's political career was launched in a very heavily refugee populated Somali-American area of Minnesota.

Correct and it is an impt issue to consider . 

I’ve thought ALOT about this issue the past few days and I think it is totally legitimate for the native citizens Of a given area , city ,state , nation ( whatever ) to be concerned about major influxes of strangers onto their land, to the extent that they themselves are supplanted and , ultimately , get voted out of their own homes due to the huge shift in population demographics . This , of course , is worse case scenario and , perhaps extreme , but possible? I think maybe . It is NOT racist , nor is it xenophobic to have this concern btw- on the contrary , completely natural and understandable IMHO. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If they voted Republican you can  believe  biden would close that border down tomorrow they most have polling  data  that shows  these illegals become Democrats mostly  or he woud not be letting them in its a invasion.    They should literally find these people and kick them out !!!! Did we learn anything from afganistan Vietnam Iraq ? You can not change peoples culture . THink this is any different its not . LOOK AT CHICAGO 50 years of gang violence  and it is  still happening with all the money and programs they put into that part of the country  . Only thing that works is more law enforcement  Same with the border .  You need law enforcement and you need to start enforcing the law .

• Like 1

That is why Mexican and Central American aliens are welcomed and Cubans are kept out.  Cubans know Communism and won't vote for leftist Democrats offering "free stuff" for their votes.  They've played that game already and know how it ends.

The fact that Biden keeps Cubans out proves the aliens he welcomes are all about importing leftist voters.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

That is why Mexican and Central American aliens are welcomed and Cubans are kept out.  Cubans know Communism and won't vote for leftist Democrats offering "free stuff" for their votes.  They've played that game already and know how it ends.

The fact that Biden keeps Cubans out proves the aliens he welcomes are all about importing leftist voters.

Seriously if they don't kick them out or can't the Republicans should let in all the immigrants from countrys that vote Republican just to  get even with them . Its only fair .

Really what they should do what most country's do is if you come in illegally . You or and your off spring never are allowed to become citizens unless they go back and do it the right way .

• Like 1

What is it about the word "illegal" in illegal aliens that people can't understand? These are people whose very presence here is based on an illegal act against our country. They do not have or deserve the protections of the constitution or any act that is currently reserved for "legal" citizens of this country (including the right to vote). That seems reasonable to me.

• Like 4

It's not that the left doesn't understand what illegal is.  It's that they don't think it should be illegal.  And what they don't think should be illegal, they ignore, right up to the Rule of Law enshrined in the US Constitution.

The real problem causing all the trouble is, the activist judges that allow them to get away with it.

I am a legal alien here and pay taxes( it is true @Grouse). I don't have the right to vote,which will make you fellas pretty happy I bet,wink wink. When I got my greencard there was no option for dual citizenship, so I kept my German passport. 

I honestly don't care much about not being able to vote since the two party system here is quite dysfunctional and becoming more so by the day.

I could get dual citizenship now but don't care enough to pursue it. Plus it would set me back a good amount of money I am sure as the bcis or whatever it is called now is not a model for efficiency.

At one point in my application process I received a letter that said they received my application and it will take at least 4 weeks to process,however,if you have not heard from us within a year you may contact this office. Haha,that was classic. I called after a year and they didn't know where my application was even.  

On 8/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, BowmanMike said:

I am a legal alien here and pay taxes( it is true @Grouse). I don't have the right to vote,which will make you fellas pretty happy I bet,wink wink. When I got my greencard there was no option for dual citizenship, so I kept my German passport. 

I honestly don't care much about not being able to vote since the two party system here is quite dysfunctional and becoming more so by the day.

I could get dual citizenship now but don't care enough to pursue it. Plus it would set me back a good amount of money I am sure as the bcis or whatever it is called now is not a model for efficiency.

At one point in my application process I received a letter that said they received my application and it will take at least 4 weeks to process,however,if you have not heard from us within a year you may contact this office. Haha,that was classic. I called after a year and they didn't know where my application was even.  

How long have you been in the US Mike? That is unfortunate, but you understand that if your not a citizen, you shouldnt have a say in another countrys elections, right? Can you still vote in German elections even though youre no longer esiding there?

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

How long have you been in the US Mike? That is unfortunate, but you understand that if your not a citizen, you shouldnt have a say in another countrys elections, right? Can you still vote in German elections even though youre no longer esiding there?

23 years now. Yes I can vote in Germany.  So it's fine,because who gets to vote in two countries?