They want us to start wearing masks again???

Gobbler Chaser

Your concern is that the position of the CDC was that the likelihood of transmission from breakthrough infections is extremely low. The current CDC guideline now say that people with breakthrough case are almost as infectious as those who haven’t haven’t been vaccinated. You regard this adjustment as a sign that the CDC has no clue what it’s doing? Did I get it right? 
The CDC, imperfect as it is, is updating its recommendations based on new evidence. I know you have a history of denying or rejecting fundamental facts. We’ve covered how viruses evolve and immunity wanes repeatedly. The new Delta variant contains multiple mutations that make it much more highly transmissible. Although the odds of being infected continue to be extremely low for the vaccinated, breakthrough infections will manifest with higher viral counts. This makes the virus much more inflections, even in the vaccinated. 
Here’s a short blurb by Ed Young. Hope it helps: https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/daily/ 

I posted this in another thread but they don’t read

0bbdbf3061ee2c06b03e802c277c8852.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Your concern is that the position of the CDC was that the likelihood of transmission from breakthrough infections is extremely low. The current CDC guideline now say that people with breakthrough case are almost as infectious as those who haven’t haven’t been vaccinated. You regard this adjustment as a sign that the CDC has no clue what it’s doing? Did I get it right? 

The CDC, imperfect as it is, is updating its recommendations based on new evidence. I know you have a history of denying or rejecting fundamental facts. We’ve covered how viruses evolve and immunity wanes repeatedly. The new Delta variant contains multiple mutations that make it much more highly transmissible. Although the odds of being infected continue to be extremely low for the vaccinated, breakthrough infections will manifest with higher viral counts. This makes the virus much more inflections, even in the vaccinated. 

Here’s a short blurb by Ed Young. Hope it helps: https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/daily/ 

But we are seeing localized outbreaks and the vast majority of the infected people are vaccinated. So we're both in the same page that everyone is still learning . Where we differ is that I'm not going to keep doing what they say until they figure it out . 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

But we are seeing localized outbreaks and the vast majority of the infected people are vaccinated. So we're both in the same page that everyone is still learning . Where we differ is that I'm not going to keep doing what they say until they figure it out . 

This is simply wrong. Read the article I shared. Ed Young is very thorough and you don’t need science training to read his work. 

Breakthrough cases continue to be rare. Furthermore, even if infected, you’re much more likely to have mild or no symptoms if vaccinated. 

Edited by Versatile_Hunter
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

This is simply wrong. Read the article I shared. Ed Young is very thorough and you don’t need science training to read his work. 

Breakthrough cases continue to be rare. Furthermore, even if infected, you’re much more likely to have mild or no symptoms if vaccinated. 

You're wasting your time.  Science training may not be required to understand.  But, science denial and militant ignorance is a lost cause.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

How many times was the news article posted about the 800 person outbreak and 75 percent were vaccinated 

4 minutes ago, virgil said:

You're wasting your time.  Science training may not be required to understand.  But, science denial and militant ignorance is a lost cause.

My favorite is when people sit in front of the tv and let the media think for them and pretend they understand the science .

• Like 2

How many times was the news article posted about the 800 person outbreak and 75 percent were vaccinated 

Plenty… and of the 75% 35% of them were a symptomatic. And 4 were hospitalized… unvaccinated people can’t say the same. Just look at Louisiana they are running out of hospital capacity and have one of the lowest rates of vaccine in the country.

Then look at Vermont with one of the highest 5 cases per 100k people a day or something like that

4 minutes ago, virgil said:

It’s never a waste of time to Attempt to convince others They’re wrong about an issue if you’re certain you’re right , especially if it directly impacts their safety and well being . 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

My favorite is when people sit in front of the tv and let the media think for them and pretend they understand the science .

None of the information that i use to make my decisions or inform my opinion comes from television.  It comes from the medical professionals and scientific researchers that i work with every day.

3 minutes ago, virgil said:

None of the information that i use to make my decisions or inform my opinion comes from television.  It comes from the medical professionals and scientific researchers that i work with every day.

Then you should know that just because the delta variant is the dominant strain right now doesnt mean its the only one . You should also know that the 97 percent of people hospitalized with covid who are not vaccinated is using the numbers from last year before the vaccine was even available.

Edited by Jeremy K

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

Nothing wrong w that , just keep in mind that they are not infallible;  at this stage of the game , there is still much about the virus - and the vaccine - that is largely unknown unfortunately.

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Then you should know that just because the delta variant is the dominant strain right now doesnt mean its the only one .

Jeremy, beyond this last reply, i'm not gonna waste any more time helping you promote your nonsense.

Nobody is saying that Delta is the only strain.  But, it's responsible for around 97% of current cases.  And the overwhelming majority of the sickest cases are of those who are unvaccinated.  Yes, vaccinated folks can still get the virus.  But, their symptoms are overwhelmingly less severe and almost none have been hospitalized.  And Delta wouldn't even exist if enough people had gotten vaccinated and herd immunity were achieved months ago.

You constantly distract and deflect.  Probably because you know that your reasoning is nonsense and you just relish being a contrarian.  When you or someone you actually care about gets sick, you'll probably change your position.  Then again, maybe you won't.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, virgil said:

nd Delta wouldn't even exist if enough people had gotten vaccinated and herd immunity were achieved months ago.

That’s not true as the delta originated in India and we have no control over that- moreover , your dismissal  of the Illegal immigration issue at the southern border contradicts this . Your other points , however , seem valid . 

Just now, Northcountryman said:

That’s not true as the delta originated in India and we have no control over that- moreover , your dismissal  of the Illegal immigration issue at the southern border contradicts this . Your other points , however , seem valid . 

I've never dismissed it.  I've acknowledged it and agreed that it's a serious issue many times.  Again, not protecting yourself in protest is just plain dumb.  No other way to put it.

5 minutes ago, virgil said:

I've never dismissed it.  I've acknowledged it and agreed that it's a serious issue many times.  Again, not protecting yourself in protest is just plain dumb.  No other way to put it.

Ok, Got it . I agree , but to not get vaccinated out of concern for deleterious effects  long term is not( at least , not presently). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

So if whites are 60 plus percent of the population and only 50% or so are vaccinated it seems white people have the biggest impact on this number

Yes you are correct also 70 percent of POC (the none vaccinated) can not go to restaurants and gyms in NYC. I honestly don’t believe that 70 percent of POC are extreme right fanatics either. Statistics can be used by anyone to spin the narrative the way that suits them. Same has been done on here with violent crime statistics among others statistics. All one can do is list link to the actual statistics and  let people come to their own conclusions.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, virgil said:

Jeremy, beyond this last reply, i'm not gonna waste any more time helping you promote your nonsense.

Nobody is saying that Delta is the only strain.  But, it's responsible for around 97% of current cases.  And the overwhelming majority of the sickest cases are of those who are unvaccinated.  Yes, vaccinated folks can still get the virus.  But, their symptoms are overwhelmingly less severe and almost none have been hospitalized.  And Delta wouldn't even exist if enough people had gotten vaccinated and herd immunity were achieved months ago.

You constantly distract and deflect.  Probably because you know that your reasoning is nonsense and you just relish being a contrarian.  When you or someone you actually care about gets sick, you'll probably change your position.  Then again, maybe you won't.  

Just stop 

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Then you should know that just because the delta variant is the dominant strain right now doesnt mean its the only one . You should also know that the 97 percent of people hospitalized with covid who are not vaccinated is using the numbers from last year before the vaccine was even available.

I was told that 88% of Texas current hospitalizations are unvaccinated 

59 minutes ago, virgil said:

How do they determine what strain someone has?

2 hours ago, virgil said:

Nobody is saying that Delta is the only strain.  But, it's responsible for around 97% of current cases. 

In all fairness that isn't actually known. It is presumed that a person who is vaccinated and gets COVID that it is Delta. The rapid or PCR test does NOT test for that strain. 

4 hours ago, Chef said:

So if whites are 60 plus percent of the population and only 50% or so are vaccinated it seems white people have the biggest impact on this number

Those charts are deceiving. The numbers it appears are much worse for vaccinated % if you look at the CSV files. US population of 328mm. About 50mm under 12 and they can't currently be vaccinated. Leaves about 278mm in the pool. Minorites, especially African-Americans continue to have a higher population percentage that is under vaccinated.  If you weigh in high population centers with their racial make up and propensity for comorbidity factors, it isn't surprising that place like  Louisiana  are having high numbers compared to less densely populated (and less minority population) states like Vermont. There are a shit load of factors effecting the numbers and so many can spin them to say what they are trying to put forward. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DirtTime said:

That's funny. I read that most of the people not getting the vaccine or wearing masks are Extreme Right fanatics who are using this as a way to give a middle finger to the whole thing as a stand against our Tyrannical Government. :rolleyes:

don't think  nyc is full of them old white right wingers ?  

Latest Data on COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity | KFF

As of this week, 70% of the adult population in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. While this progress represents a marked achievement in vaccinations that has led to steep declines in COVID-19 cases and deaths, vaccination coverage—and the protections provided by it—remains uneven across the country. With the growing spread of the more transmissible Delta variant, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are once again rising, largely among unvaccinated people. While White adults account for the largest share (57%) of unvaccinated adults, Black and Hispanic people remain less likely than their White counterparts to have received a vaccine, leaving them at increased risk, particularly as the variant spreads.

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1