No-Till Winter Rye

I have 3 clover fields. I'd like to plant some rye or wheat into them this fall. Has anyone had any luck with broadcasting seed, mowing, and cultipacking? I planted some brassicas into a field last Friday that had last year's winter wheat standing by using the same process, using glysophate first, and have excellent germination.

I am wondering if the same method, minus the glysophate-don't want to kill the clover- would work on cereal grains? I know I usually broadcast rye and wheat into worked soil, and drag to get them covered with soil. Any thoughts?

WI oats is what i tend to use used rye in past but the deer really love WI oats that being said rye will grow most anywhere if u have a a really thick clover stand the rye will still need some soil contact two things u can do if the clover is thick lightly drag the clover to get some soil exspossed the clover will bounce back or if you have grass mixed in, 1qt of gly will kill grass knock back clover but wont kill it opening up some soil

Gman also have me great information on plots and seeding. He's spot on with the winter rye. I don't take or do anything I just toss it all a round my stand and the stuff grows. 

I've gotten over 500 pics on this camera in the past 3 weeks they love the winter rye over here.

Screenshot_20210801-231116.png

Screenshot_20210801-231105.png

Screenshot_20210801-231057.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I've had great luck growing rye and wheat on bare ground. I  planted 1/2 acre of brassica with conventional tillage and 1/2acre no-till July 23rd. I think the no-till actually germinated better than the other. Based on your comments, I certainty think it's worth buying a few hundred pounds of rye seed to add to the clover. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, Pygmy said:

When would be  optimum time to plant here in Steuben County for best draw during gun season  ?

Here in Steuben Your brassicas and bulbs and cold tolerant Annual Clovers for winter should be going in now. If you arent planting brassicas or any other type of bulb.. you can weait til late August Early September and PLant grains, clovers, Peas etc. 

All depends what you want to plant. Big buffet blends are great, I truly love a bulb blend and Cold Tolerant Annual Clovers for winter.. Serious pulling power. But they need to go in now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, Pygmy said:

When would be  optimum time to plant here in Steuben County for best draw during gun season  ?

You would want rye and turnip , the turnip should be going in now, the rye can go in later sept if nessassary it Will germinate and grow down to 37 degrees. You want about 3 weeks growth on it for.max attact I've found. Check your average temps and see when you drop below 40 as day time high and go 3 weeks or.so before

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1