Here it comes again ehd

cynthiafu

On 8/19/2021 at 2:30 PM, blackbeltbill said:

I just got my copy of- New York Outdoor News:

Front page-EHD OUTBREAK RETURNS/ SOUTHEASTERN,NY Is Once Again Bearing The Brunt...

Thêre cant be many Dẻer at all at Stewart State Forest  after last years huge Deer Killoff.

DEC should  cancel October Bow Thêre  and only open the Shotgun Slug segment later in the Séason. 

I saw a medium sized Buck just standing in the low creek a few days back just watching me as,I Hiked on by in the woods. He seemed ok- but who knows.

My goodness, another crazy comment. Whatcha got against bowhunters. Like one bullied ya or something. Bow ought to be open, maybe firearm could take a year off? 

Edited by Foggy Mountain

22 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Terrible

Yup and idiots that believe what they are told and read think that CWD is the boogie man in the deer world. EHD has killed more deer in one year then cwd has in 50.                 And now there is a product high fence is using to fight off EHD to stop losses.                With some success. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Yup and idiots that believe what they are told and read think that CWD is the boogie man in the deer world. EHD has killed more deer in one year then cwd has in 50.                 And now there is a product high fence is using to fight off EHD to stop losses.                With some success. 

Is it Ivermectin?

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

it's not as dry this summer as last, so why the issue again? is it here to stay every year now?

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

it's not as dry this summer as last, so why the issue again? is it here to stay every year now?

From midges that come out of exposed mud, well drained land and clean water help prevent midges from emerging as crayfish, minnows eat the emerging midges larva.  The water impoundment for humans is probably the driving force behind it surging in se ny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Read an article on it last year. The warmer climate states have essentially grown somewhat of an immunity to it since it stays around all year long. Here we get cold winters where they get killed off and then re-emerge when it warms up. 

4 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

My goodness, another crazy comment. Whatcha got against bowhunters. Like one bullied ya or something. Bow ought to be open, maybe firearm could take a year off? 

Haha. Don’t worry. He won’t respond just like when I commented on that post. Or just about any other time he’s confronted on one of his bs shit posts. 

23 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Wow, haven't seen anything yet in my limited time in the woods. But I'm in 3j and will be walking my property tomorrow..thanks for the repost

Your welcome I went hiking today didn't see anything but I did smell it . I think the place I hiked today is called Cranberry hill . Just outside of platterkill ulster county

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, First-light said:

So those of you guys who hunt the EHD areas how was the hunting last year? Same thing happened. Did it really have an impact on deer sightings and game harvest? Where the areas closed? I have no idea. 

Same area(approx a 15-20 minute highway drive away), a coworker hunts the nearby town of Goshen/Scotchtown, he always get a big buck, sometimes 2.  This last year no bucks, he saw some but no where near the amount of deer as he used to see. They do drives from Thanksgiving on, and I believe he said the number of deer he saw was not as high as usual.  This year his game cams are slow as well.  I live/hunt an hour northwest, last year was my best season as far as buck sightings go, and this year driving to/from work I have been seeing numerous big bucks.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

So those of you guys who hunt the EHD areas how was the hunting last year? Same thing happened. Did it really have an impact on deer sightings and game harvest? Where the areas closed? I have no idea. 

Tough to judge probably. SENY buck kills are typically 1.1 to 1.9 per square mile. CoMbined with doess it’s around 3 per square mile

So they are always minimal. It’s not 4-5 per square mile like other parts of the state. CoMbined with does many parts of the state are 10+ and some even 15+.

However, it was still noticeable on the local forums (Hudson valley sportsman, Westchester forum, the local butcher and taxidermists all echoed a noticeable lack in kills by hunters last year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, First-light said:

I didnt see  as many as we use to took about a week to figure out the signs of where they were hiding.

• Like 1