Good Spinning Fixed Blade Broadhead

Sir-diealot

I am looking for something to replace my Crimson Talon Broadheads, I only have 3 or 4 left and they do not make the ones I have any longer. I use the Spintight Vanes and fletch them myself on my JoJan. I am shooting 45-50# @29" from a PSE Stinger Extreme with either the original Easton Axis Arrows or the original PSE Carbon arrows with and HHA sight and rest. No mechanical broadheads please, I have never trusted them. I know there are other broadheads out there that spin and should work very well with the Spintight fletchings and am looking for suggestions. I shoot a trigger release but do not use a loop because my eyes won't let me get the release on them. Thank you for any help given.

I shoot standard slick trick broadheads but my son shoots a not so well known broadhead called Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads. He has had fantastic results with them and has taken turkey, whitetails, and a black bear with them. I have attached a link if you want to take a look at them.    valoroutdoors.com. https://www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu7OIBhCsARIsALxCUaNoa6VkSyyOLTxtRF0yB89YM7hnqI4uBaGXZNt5v1qDAHOMfjZUNPAaAhsdEALw_wcB

56 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

$36.65… yeah, they’re pricey. The steel seems to be strong enough for reuse

A2 Tool Steel. Thought about making my own, being a Tool Maker by trade

Was thinking of trying these or the Massaui heads. 150gr should put me at about 570gr arrow weight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlybrowning said:

Beautiful. I am on the list for the new Tuffhead Evolution. I ordered some Grizzly Stik Samurai 200’s just in case they don’t come through in time.

Have you purchased a leather strop yet? I have the KME sharpener, but need to get a strop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! No strap yet. Was debating whether to freehand on a stone or use a jig to perfectly match the angle. You like the KME?

4 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Arrived. 

8CE7C59A-53C9-47FB-9A55-67D46D407018.jpeg

Those look a lot like some single bevel german silver flame heads I use with my recurve.   They are really sharp and spin great.   I got them with a bow deal but would not pay the nearly $100/head they cost.  These might be a nice alternative.

• Like 1

Magnus black hornet, lifetime warranty. They don’t spin straight or you break one, you email the owner and he sends you a replacement. 
stay sharp sharpening system.

That may be my choice this year. I wanted to go 125 Cutthroat but id need different shafts and i dont feel like starting over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That may be my choice this year. I wanted to go 125 Cutthroat but id need different shafts and i dont feel like starting over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think in the last few years between myself and my coworker we have shot about 15 deer with them. I don't see myself ever changing. I bought the stay sharp system for them too. I had to have one warrantied I shot into a tree and broke pulling/ cutting it out. New head in m mailbox two days later with a truck decal and a hat. 

• Like 1

From what I am seeing posted none of these create the spin in flight that I am looking for. Thank you for everybody for trying but I really want something with that spinning action they create, the only others ones I know that spin are the Rage broadheads and I have heard both good and bad. I match my heads with 3 spintight vanes and together with the vane and the broadhead making the arrow spin they seem to be much more accurate to me and I have shot a few things and like the hole they make as they spin through and hope to find something else that will do the same.

5 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

From what I am seeing posted none of these create the spin in flight that I am looking for. Thank you for everybody for trying but I really want something with that spinning action they create, the only others ones I know that spin are the Rage broadheads and I have heard both good and bad. I match my heads with 3 spintight vanes and together with the vane and the broadhead making the arrow spin they seem to be much more accurate to me and I have shot a few things and like the hole they make as they spin through and hope to find something else that will do the same.

You got it wrong,the broadhead doesn't create the spin your fletchings do. A single bevel broadhead will create a spin with it's cutting action when it encounters resistance. The spin induced by the fletching will stop with a regular broadhead when it hits the animal. Only a single bevel will rotate inside the animal.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

Broadheads don’t create spin, your fletch pattern does. 

12 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

You got it wrong,the broadhead doesn't create the spin your fletchings do. A single bevel broadhead will create a spin with it's cutting action when it encounters resistance. The spin induced by the fletching will stop with a regular broadhead when it hits the animal. Only a single bevel will rotate inside the animal.

11 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Broadheads don’t create spin, your fletch pattern does. 

I am very sorry but you are both incorrect in this instance, please look into the Crimson Talon Broadheads, they are specifically designed to create spin, it is a part of the design. (not saying fletching does not help) Notice how they are designed with a bend to them, this creates additional spin. I match them with Spin Tight Vanes (No longer made under that name) which also creates spin and together they are very accurate. I had been told to use a right helical with them to make them spin even faster, but found it was not needed and to be honest I do not have the proper clamp for a right helical on my Jojan anyway, though I may buy one for the 2022 season.

Crimson Talon.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

I am very sorry but you are both incorrect in this instance, please look into the Crimson Talon Broadheads, they are specifically designed to create spin, it is a part of the design. (not saying fletching does not help) Notice how they are designed with a bend to them, this creates additional spin. I match them with Spin Tight Vanes (No longer made under that name) which also creates spin and together they are very accurate. I had been told to use a right helical with them to make them spin even faster, but found it was not needed and to be honest I do not have the proper clamp for a right helical on my Jojan anyway, though I may buy one for the 2022 season.

Crimson Talon.jpg

Ok,I stand corrected. I would let my fletching do the work for flight and the bevel for the action  part. I like the steering in the back. 

How would you sharpen a broadhead like that? seems worse than a curved flat one...

Edited by BowmanMike

9 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

Crimson Talon.jpg

I'm going to start doing my own fletching. Why Jojan over Bitzenburger?