Online bow course questions

Jeremy K

As a NYS Hunter Ed Instructor, I may be a bit biased, but in person instruction can give so much more, as far as hands on learning. I think most retain more of the course with the in person, hands on approach. JMO

The online course is easy enough though.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Ya. some of the questions seem like they could have multiple answers but they narrow it down to just one ,that one answer from what i can see isn't better or more accurate ,its because they said so in the reading portion.

I think they do that on some of the questions on purpose, so that you have to think a bit more on which one is correct. To perhaps have it sink in a bit more on an important point? IDK.... But if there is anything I can do to help, just PM me and I'll be happy to do so.

• Like 1

My boys did it over Covid and like most multiple-guess questions they can be ambiguous with multiple right answers, but only one more right answer. Ask me how I know as a 6th grade English teacher stuck teaching ELA state exams.
I appreciated the state allowing the course to be done on line as we have struggled with busy schedules to get a rare spot in local courses but I would not say they are now prepared to hunt safely without further direction/monitoring. If people pass the course and don’t have a mentor I imagine frustration will drive them out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The problem with online courses is there’s no way to know who actually did it. Many think or view the courses as a way to see if someone is good enough in a sense to hunt. That’s not true, all are welcome but we need to be sure the information gets across. Online guarantees nothing. 
In NJ all the students do now is show up an an assigned time to shoot and show proficiency there. How do you know who really took online test?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

The problem with online courses is there’s no way to know who actually did it. Many think or view the courses as a way to see if someone is good enough in a sense to hunt. That’s not true, all are welcome but we need to be sure the information gets across. Online guarantees nothing. 
In NJ all the students do now is show up an an assigned time to shoot and show proficiency there. How do you know who really took online test?? 

There is generations of people who just took the stamp off the paper license of someone else and stuck it to their license to bypass the bow course back in the day . It will never be 100 percent perfect.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 8:05 AM, Jeremy K said:

There is generations of people who just took the stamp off the paper license of someone else and stuck it to their license to bypass the bow course back in the day . It will never be 100 percent perfect.

Is the excuse nothing is perfect the reason we should accept mediocrity? Of course not but this is reverting to that in a sense. As stated all that’s really needed is the student to understand but that’s not known if someone is behind a screen 

Edited by Foggy Mountain

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Is the excuse nothing is perfect the reason we should accept mediocrity? Of course not but this is reverting to that in a sense. As stated all that’s really needed is the student to understand but that’s not known if someone is behind a screen 

So true. I know several who took the course for there wife, just to get a tag. Some have taken it for there kids because they think the course doesn't really help and they can teach their kids without the course.

The online course is so easy to manipulate. I think it should go back to hands on 100%.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I do not like it at all, there is much more to be learned in a in person course than you can learn over the internet. Personally I see why they did it last year, but think they should be outlawed now. I am still waiting to see what the results are for those that went through the online course vs in person courses as far as "incidents" are concerned. I would bet good money there were more "incidents" with those that did it online.

And yet we can’t have it both ways.
Hunter numbers down..what’s wrong with kids today?
Hunter Ed instructors are old (sorry Grampy!) and hard to find so no courses offered to get new hunters in the field .
Hunter Ed courses are offered only through State approved sites. Great! State government involvement makes things so much better.
I got my trappers Ed class done via mail this year. I’m very glad that’s done but not sure I am trapping any time soon - need more time, hands on practice, would love to follow along an experienced trapper-none of which is involved in the live trapper safety class I don’t think.
Sogn of the times

I’m all for whatever gets more hunters in the field. Yes the in person class is way better than online but if online gets more people out hunting then I feel that’s better for all of us in the long run.

And no I don’t support someone taking the test for someone else or helping out while the test is happening. It’s not a college level course. Someone with some basic common sense and intelligence should pass it with zero issues.

IMO the course is essentially useless without a mentor afterward for a kid. Neither of my nephews remember a thing from that class even in person. Another thing PA has got right compared to NY, allowing kids to hunt and learn with a mentor before the class is required at 12. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

Hunter Ed instructors are old (sorry Grampy!) and hard to find so no courses offered to get new hunters in the field .
Hunter Ed courses are offered only through State approved sites. Great! State government involvement makes things so much better.
I got my trappers Ed class done via mail this year. I’m very glad that’s done but not sure I am trapping any time soon - need more time, hands on practice, would love to follow along an experienced trapper-none of which is involved in the live trapper safety class I don’t think.
Sogn of the times

Anyone close can go to NJ and easily find courses. NY will and must honor them as they’re the same international based course they use. Just FYI. NJ course is also mostly online now as well but it’s an option for the future that may help someone 

Perhaps online course work and one night in person review and test?

The hardest thing for my two , was finding three nights they could give up to take the class . With their workload at school and sports, it was near impossible to free up 5:30- 10:30 on three school nights .

The one who managed to do it , never read the book, and said it was the easiest test she ever took , and was amazed that some in the class flunked …. But they were signed off as passing after discussing the wrong answers with the instructors .

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Sogn of the times

I have never seen it where it was hard to find them to be honest, only time I have run into that is those that wait until the last moment to decide they want to take the course and that is their own fault.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:41 PM, grampy said:

As a NYS Hunter Ed Instructor, I may be a bit biased, but in person instruction can give so much more, as far as hands on learning. I think most retain more of the course with the in person, hands on approach. JMO

The online course is easy enough though.

My son is taking a class online.  Email confirmation came from the New York Bowhunter Ed Course.  The class is free.  I was talking to some guys today who said unless you go through the state site and pay $30 the online class my son is taking is no good and he will not be able to get his license.  Is this the case??  Asking you because you said you were an instructor.  Thanks in advance 

On 8/11/2021 at 8:29 PM, boo711 said:

My son is taking a class online.  Email confirmation came from the New York Bowhunter Ed Course.  The class is free.  I was talking to some guys today who said unless you go through the state site and pay $30 the online class my son is taking is no good and he will not be able to get his license.  Is this the case??  Asking you because you said you were an instructor.  Thanks in advance 

Is the online course an international course? IHEA or IBEF? If so NY can’t say no. I’d assume the course is as their courses are.