Radish vs Turnip

12 minutes ago, phade said:

There is not much absolute with deer and deer hunting, but I haven't see a pear lose out to an apple in preference yet. Magnets.

All day, every day.  Pears are sweeter, softer and easier for deer to eat.  All apples are different and deer prefer some apples over others.  I have seen tons of apples rot on the ground while others in the same area are completely cleaned up.  

I'm not discounting your experience, just different than mine.

Edited by stubborn1VT
clarification

I have three Macintosh apple trees apple trees and a pear tree in my backyard.  I have different family groups to and three times a day coming into the backyard now to eat off them.   They have been doing it since the end of July. Soft mast is a big draw for them right now until it’s gone.  

97091187-7E3D-4C75-9320-6A3949432618.jpeg

• Like 1

Just finished checking the plots a couple are under water and 4 others are draining struggling.  Need dry weather.   Wildlife doesn’t seem to care as they are already working the plots.  Got mama w her triplets kind of a rare sight triplets. 

AB73A50C-4025-4AFF-B570-144D44B7740F.jpeg

9B8CAB58-77B1-412A-8013-40A87676E312.jpeg

• Like 1

Checked my brassica planting this morning before I went to work.  There are a few areas of standing water, but overall the germination is excellent.  Turns out I could have seeded even lighter.  I went with 3.75 lbs on a half acre.  The seed company recommendations were all over the place.  More rain in the forecast.  Guess we'll get what we get.  Things looked pretty good this morning though.

• Like 1

The 2 small turnip radish plots that I put in a couple weeks ago are looking ok.  I caught a doe with a big fawn feeding in a white clover plot next to the back one this afternoon. It looked like the fawn was already 2/3 the size of the doe, likely a button buck that I will be targeting during the last 2 weeks of archery season, for one of my 4 9f dmp tags.

No tracks in the turnip radish plots yet. I pulled a few weeds out of the front one, and dragged the adjacent 1.5 acres which will be planted with a wheat medium white clover mix in a couple weeks.  

I boxed in a new blind in the big poplar tree in the background this morning, using weathered barn siding.  That front turnip radish plot is about dead center between that blind and my bedroom window.  Depending on which I am in, I will be shooting about 100 yards north or south to reach it during the Holiday ML season this year.  That little plot of turnips between standing corn ought to work wonders then.

20210821_144042.jpg

20210821_144121.jpg

20210821_144217.jpg

20210821_144922.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The 2 small turnip radish plots that I put in a couple weeks ago are looking ok.  I caught a doe with a big fawn feeding in a white clover plot next to the back one this afternoon. It looked like the fawn was already 2/3 the size of the doe, likely a button buck that I will be targeting during the last 2 weeks of archery season, for one of my 4 9f dmp tags.

No tracks in the turnip radish plots yet. I pulled a few weeds out of the front one, and dragged the adjacent 1.5 acres which will be planted with a wheat medium white clover mix in a couple weeks.  

I boxed in a new blind in the big poplar tree in the background this morning, using weathered barn siding.  That front turnip radish plot is about dead center between that blind and my bedroom window.  Depending on which I am in, I will be shooting about 100 yards north or south to reach it during the Holiday ML season this year.  That little plot of turnips between standing corn ought to work wonders then.

20210821_144042.jpg

20210821_144121.jpg

20210821_144217.jpg

20210821_144922.jpg

No braces on those 4x4s?  That pic makes my but pucker a bit. Lol. 

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

No braces on those 4x4s?  That pic makes my but pucker a bit. Lol. 

Home depot was charging $40 for 8 ft pt 4x4s, so I went with the $5 landscape timbers.  They feel pretty solid and I did tie them together on the bottom with 2x4 pt braces.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...