New Gov, Full inclusion???

Gobbler Chaser

Todd is the chair on the Senate Environmental Committee.  I thought that the Senate approved the language for full inclusion and submitted that into their Budget.  It was the Assembly that did not approve this language and was not included in their budget.  The chair for the Assembly Environmental Committee is Steve Englebright.  Steve has never brought up full inclusion in his Committee.  I believe he is the roadblock for full inclusion now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, rag742 said:

Steve has never brought up full inclusion in his Committee.  I believe he is the roadblock for full inclusion now.

Seems a few don't even care about full inclusion. I found out yesterday at least two meat hunters I know of are hunting the "bow season" with crossbows and have no intentions of taking the compound out of the truck. They only  have it in the truck just in case.

They both hunt private land in separate areas. Both are in their 50's and have found that the crossbow is more accurate, shoots farther, and requires a lot less practice.

I can't help but wonder how many others are thinking the same way and doing the same thing.

These two have been hunting a long time and just decided it was easier to hunt with a crossbow rather than putting in the effort to hunt with their compounds.

I won't be reporting them and can only hope the get pinched.

22 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Seems a few don't even care about full inclusion. I found out yesterday at least two meat hunters I know of are hunting the "bow season" with crossbows and have no intentions of taking the compound out of the truck. They only  have it in the truck just in case.

They both hunt private land in separate areas. Both are in their 50's and have found that the crossbow is more accurate, shoots farther, and requires a lot less practice.

I can't help but wonder how many others are thinking the same way and doing the same thing.

These two have been hunting a long time and just decided it was easier to hunt with a crossbow rather than putting in the effort to hunt with their compounds.

More than likely that's happening alot .... makes the same hole , at least I've been told that !   :taunt:

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Your better than me.  I’d be reporting them

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Are you for or against full inclusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter to me.  I do not hunt with a crossbow but know guys who do.  If it gets full inclusion someday it gets full inclusion.  But if you know someone is hunting illegally, and hunting with any weapon out of season is illegal, you turn them in.  

Doesn’t matter to me.  I do not hunt with a crossbow but know guys who do.  If it gets full inclusion someday it gets full inclusion.  But if you know someone is hunting illegally, and hunting with any weapon out of season is illegal, you turn them in.  

All I’ve been hearing is that there’s no difference between the two. No way am I reporting someone for doing something that doesn’t give them an advantage.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, boo711 said:

But if you know someone is hunting illegally, and hunting with any weapon out of season is illegal, you turn them in.  

While I tend to agree with you I have known these two for a number of years and in fact one is a in-law. I don't hunt with either of them because I do not like their style of hunting and have let them know it a number of times when invited.

This is the first I have learned of them being illegal and when I heard about it I let them know what I thought. I am hoping their conscience takes over and they do the right thing even though I doubt they will.

My point being was that if they are doing it how many more are doing the same thing.

It is sad to see the honor among hunters slowly slipping away like it seems to be with a vast majority of society. 

• Like 1

While I tend to agree with you I have known these two for a number of years and in fact one is a in-law. I don't hunt with either of them because I do not like their style of hunting and have let them know it a number of times when invited.
 This is the first I have learned of them being illegal and when I heard about it I let them know what I thought. I am hoping their conscience takes over and they do the right thing even though I doubt they will.
My point being was that if they are doing it how many more are doing the same thing.
 It is sad to see the honor among hunters slowly slipping away like it seems to be with a vast majority of society. 

What honor is slipping away?

Before hunters started thinking it was their deer no one gave a shit what others did.

If you didn’t think it was “unfair” or that they had an “advantage” you wouldn’t give a shit either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Before hunters started thinking it was their deer no one gave a shit what others did.

If you didn’t think it was “unfair” or that they had an “advantage” you wouldn’t give a shit either.

So someone shouldn’t care if they use a crossbow if they don’t think it gives them an advantage??  I could care less if it is an advantage.  Someday we will have full inclusion.  Until then using a crossbow before the designated date is illegal 

• Like 1

The problem is we have no game department,  no officers to enforce laws ( we have perhaps 2 per county? ) until we demand a right to hunt and fish to be managed by a game department  politics and lack of funding will cripple game management in nys..  we probably would not even have a debate of crossbow as they would of made it full inclusion and legal immediately...   those that break the laws are criminals but they can also be looked at as objectors of bad politics and laws  formed by non hunters and biologists..   it will be full inclusion some day no doubt  but I wish for a true game department  and right for hunting and fishing more.

• Thanks 1

So someone shouldn’t care if they use a crossbow if they don’t think it gives them an advantage??  I could care less if it is an advantage.  Someday we will have full inclusion.  Until then using a crossbow before the designated date is illegal 

I look at it the exact same as I did the asinine sunrise sunset laws up until this year. If heard the neighbors shoot after sunset I didn’t report them, because I don’t care.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't hunt with a cross bow and probably never will. If I did or had the interest I would use it during the crossbow season as the regulations state. 

I never said or indicated it was unfair or that they have an advantage. The honor that is slipping away (in my opinion) is that we as hunters should hunt within the confines of the regulations and seasons whether we like them or not.

Them and others obviously do not have the confidence to harvest a deer with a compound bow and feel the cross bow gives them an advantage or they wouldn't be using them.

I have no idea whether they are an advantage or not since I have not used one.

The two I spoke of feel it is a advantage and have said so.

I am comfortable hunting deer with a compound and enjoy the challenge. I could care less if crossbow was allowed all season but I do take exception with hunters that claim they harvested a deer during archery season only to find out they used a crossbow.

To me any harvest with a bow is an accomplishment.  I respect the way you track & hunt deer but I don't respect every deer hunter.

You rightly take pride in the way you hunt and so do I.

I wonder if the two I mentioned (and probably others) will be proud of their accomplishment or just happy with the bragging rights with a filled  tag.

Edited by Steve D

I don't hunt with a cross bow and probably never will. If I did or had the interest I would use it during the crossbow season as the regulations state. 
I never said or indicated it was unfair or that they have an advantage. The honor that is slipping away (in my opinion) is that we as hunters should hunt within the confines of the regulations and seasons whether we like them or not.
Them and others obviously do not have the confidence to harvest a deer with a compound bow and feel the cross bow gives them an advantage or they wouldn't be using them.
I have no idea whether they are an advantage or not since I have not used one.
 The two I spoke of feel it is a advantage and have said so.
 I am comfortable hunting deer with a compound and enjoy the challenge. I could care less if crossbow was allowed all season but I do take exception with hunters that claim they harvested a deer during archery season only to find out they used a crossbow.
To me any harvest with a bow is an accomplishment.  I respect the way you track & hunt deer but I don't respect every deer hunter.
You rightly take pride in the way you hunt and so do I.
I wonder if the two I mentioned (and probably others) will be proud of their accomplishment or just happy with the bragging rights with a filled  tag.

My point is not that long ago no one hunted for the pride, accomplishment or bragging rights of killing a critter. Honor wasn’t ever thought of when killing a deer.

Growing up up here all the old timers always talked about eating a July deer “also known as a garden deer.” And how there used to be an extra week at the end of season in the northern zone known as guides/locals week it wasn’t legal but it’s what they did because many were busy dealing with the tourist hunters and didn’t have time to get out themselves until after the season was closed. Where is the old timers honor that is lost today?

If a hunter is killing what the state allows and is consuming what he shoots I couldn’t care less how they do it.

I don’t like the guys that fill their family’s tags, and I don’t like the guys that just shoot shit to shoot shot and wastes the meat.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, Steve D said:

It happens alot, I know of several guys.

ITs funny how they say they are more accurate yet these guys still lose several deer every season when using them. No less than they lost every year with a bow before that. IT always comes down to the person using the implement rather than the implement itself. I dont report them, they will have their day someday.. as long as they stay off my lands. They can do what they want to do.. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 9:12 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I look at it the exact same as I did the asinine sunrise sunset laws up until this year. If heard the neighbors shoot after sunset I didn’t report them, because I don’t care.

And…. It’s none of your business. I know plenty that use crossbows during archery and plenty that kill vermin day or night and day of the year. To each their own. They accept the responsibility of their actions so that’s on them. 

• Like 3