Ladder Stand Question

Lawdwaz

I have a new spot that looks promising.  I gave it a quick look over last winter and didn’t really see a tree that turned my crank for a hang on type stand.  

What ladder stand do you guys recommend for a primarily archery set up?  Although I’ve not been in many, the ladder stands I’ve sat didn’t excite me.  Maybe it’s just because about all I’ve ever used are the old Screaming Eagle hang on stands and love so much about them.  

Also, this one will be used by someone other than me who isn’t as experienced so I’d like it to be safe +P……..thanks for your thoughts. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

I’m all ladders today . The bigger the better, this is a Field and Steam, larger beams, big platform, large comfortable seat that flips up . Easy to turn 360, without concern of my feet going off the platform like on small ladders . 

All day comfort . 

here’s the stand a a few of the recent deers taken from it .

B7D2E169-CF65-48F3-9E9E-FC4EBA1364CE.jpeg

2E8C1FBE-834F-469A-848E-44FE67C111C4.jpeg

0D5585EE-3170-44EA-BF0D-304BF033D573.jpeg

D83C7149-F27D-4EAC-8156-9E8CAC860CBC.jpeg

AC8F08DD-0EE2-453C-881F-D11FCC269D3C.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I own a bunch of the Field and Stream single person stands with the shooting rest. I think they were called the Scout or something like that. They're functional, but I don't love them. Pros - cheap, semi comfortable, the shooting bar and the seat both raise. Cons - the shooting bar is awkwardly low, making it mostly useless as a shooting rail compared to other ladder stands I've used. 

I like the Guide Gear ladder stands from Sportsman's Warehouse.  They make a double rail ladder that is ultra sturdy.  For all day sits, I like one with a big platform.  I find that most of the shooting rails are too low on ladder stands period.  I have had some luck raising them up with wooden shims.  The Guide Gear ladders are also reasonably priced compared to a bigger name brand.

• Like 1

I love ladder stands. Well most of them. 

The key is the foot platform. It needs to be large, not the little dinky ones that barley both feet fit on. If I lift up the seat, I want there to be a platform to stand on. 

• Like 1

i generally use something similar to these. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Dog-Trail-Breaker-Ladder-Stand-16-Ft/479390767

I love the shooting rail although they suck as an actual shooting rail.  I set my bow or gun on it and always feel i am ready.  Plus it may be a false sense of security but it does make me feel better it is there in case i ever lost even a little balance.  

i have a hard time finding the metal seats these days instead of the vinyl or wahatever it is.  It always seems to me the vinyl may be more comfortable but the metal will last.  I carry a seat cushion on my pack to sit on. 

Its all i use as they are easy to climb and setup and havent had a prob with getting busted in them.  I always stand up to shoot the bow, but crossbow rests on the rail nice.  Rifle is ok but I generally shoot without it.  

Tip with these.  They give you one ratchet. All of mine have three!  for a couple of $ put one from the bottom of the platform around the tree and I use one on the brace as well. I have seen squirrels chew the ratchets and i dont want to risk only having one.   When i take them down i take off all the ratchets and cut the top one from the ground with a pole saw instead of leaning over it at 20ft to take off a $3 ratchet - best idea Corey ever came up with! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Apparently I'm not as slim and agile as @moog5050 on stand, so I only buy ladder stands with a full platform. I like the option of standing, leaning back against the tree and moving around to get the blood flowing to warm up.

Dont feel bad buddy.   Not everyone is a Baryshnikov twin like me.  I also set so many stands that my refusal to pay more than $60/stand comes into play.   

• Like 2

Basic ladder stands are underrated stands IMO. I do agree on the metal seats vs the nylon with webbing. Those suck and do not last long at all. You'll be replacing them...we overlayed a piece of plywood on one worn out last year and call it the flatass stand now. For a reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nomad said:

I’m all ladders today . The bigger the better, this is a Field and Steam, larger beams, big platform, large comfortable seat that flips up . Easy to turn 360, without concern of my feet going off the platform like on small ladders . 

All day comfort . 

here’s the stand a a few of the recent deers taken from it .

B7D2E169-CF65-48F3-9E9E-FC4EBA1364CE.jpeg

2E8C1FBE-834F-469A-848E-44FE67C111C4.jpeg

0D5585EE-3170-44EA-BF0D-304BF033D573.jpeg

D83C7149-F27D-4EAC-8156-9E8CAC860CBC.jpeg

AC8F08DD-0EE2-453C-881F-D11FCC269D3C.jpeg

I havent seen the field and stream ladder stands on their website. They were great and cheap. 

• Like 1

Ladder stands can be great but for extended sits don't go cheap is my advice.  I have replaced most of my hang on stands with quality ladder stands.  When comparing ladder stands consider thickness of rails and overall weight.  At least on private property, more is better.  Yeah, also extra ratchet straps.

• Like 2

A few pieces of advise, first pay attention to the bar that goes around to cage you in, you want one that will flip up and out of the way, I learned the hard way if they are in the way it can block your shot and destroy your lower bow limb, may are to far out to just hold ahead of it. Second I really prefer a large platform, it gives you more room to position for the shot and offers safety by giving you more room so you do not step off when trying to set up for the shot. Wear a restraint devise from bottom to top and top to bottom, I am slowly losing hunting because my body is falling apart because of accidents (Not hunting related) I would hate to see you lose something the way I did for 17 years and it looks like I will lose again in the next few years because my body is falling apart. Buy a good stand, the best you can't afford, it is more important than anything other than you hunting implement and will serve you for a long time if you maintain it, don't go cheap. Practice from it after you set it up find your trouble areas ahead of time and if a lane needs trimming then it is better to know ahead of time. Get a friend or two to help you set it or them up, us safety harnesses setting it up the same as you would while hunting, you can get hurt just as quick setting them up as you can hunting from them. They do not make it anymore but I used this one because I loved the large platform and the bench seat. https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Deluxe-Person-Hunting/dp/B003TP4M2U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1538540296&sr=1-4&keywords=ladder+stands&dpID=41RjEAH6jHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&linkCode=sl1&tag=reprapmagazine-20&linkId=92fe8b7d1bab08bf965ef186d8fbdf65&language=en_US

61brBFqFdqL._AC_SL1155_.jpg

58 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

A few pieces of advise, first pay attention to the bar that goes around to cage you in, you want one that will flip up and out of the way, I learned the hard way if they are in the way it can block your shot and destroy your lower bow limb, may are to far out to just hold ahead of it. Second I really prefer a large platform, it gives you more room to position for the shot and offers safety by giving you more room so you do not step off when trying to set up for the shot. Wear a restraint devise from bottom to top and top to bottom, I am slowly losing hunting because my body is falling apart because of accidents (Not hunting related) I would hate to see you lose something the way I did for 17 years and it looks like I will lose again in the next few years because my body is falling apart. Buy a good stand, the best you can't afford, it is more important than anything other than you hunting implement and will serve you for a long time if you maintain it, don't go cheap. Practice from it after you set it up find your trouble areas ahead of time and if a lane needs trimming then it is better to know ahead of time. Get a friend or two to help you set it or them up, us safety harnesses setting it up the same as you would while hunting, you can get hurt just as quick setting them up as you can hunting from them. They do not make it anymore but I used this one because I loved the large platform and the bench seat. https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Deluxe-Person-Hunting/dp/B003TP4M2U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1538540296&sr=1-4&keywords=ladder+stands&dpID=41RjEAH6jHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&linkCode=sl1&tag=reprapmagazine-20&linkId=92fe8b7d1bab08bf965ef186d8fbdf65&language=en_US

61brBFqFdqL._AC_SL1155_.jpg

Thanks but that stand is not the direction I'm heading....YMMV.

5 hours ago, Don_C said:

I have three Big Game ladders, they are about 6 years old,  Hunter HD 1.5.  I love them.

https://www.biggametreestands.com/ladderstand-tree-stands/#hunterhd

Seems these and most decent stands are unobtainium at this time online or in the flesh.

I talked to a local guy about a "Family Tradition" stand that was pretty pricey.   I'd like to see it in person but doubt that will happen.  Anybody seen one before or have one?

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

Just bought a Muddy Huntsman 17' from Sportsman's Warehouse in Rochester, I'll pick it up Saturday.   I'll start here and see what else I can find in stores locally as fall approaches.

Thanks for the help.

Just saw them the other day. Let me know your thoughts as I need to buy 2 or 3 more stands for this fall.

8 hours ago, Don_C said:

I have three Big Game ladders, they are about 6 years old,  Hunter HD 1.5.  I love them.

https://www.biggametreestands.com/ladderstand-tree-stands/#hunterhd

This stand is by far my favorite.  For archery especially.  It has the largest standing platform of any stand I’ve seen, including some double stands.  The seat is very comfortable, the shooting rail folds up out of the way if you want, and the seat is very comfortable.  
I have a brand new one in the box sitting in the barn.  If your stuck, let me know and we can make a deal. It will give me a solid reason to attend Academy!

• Thanks 1