Ladder Stand Question

Lawdwaz

5 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Havnt found a single ladder stand id bow hunt out of. I shoot most deer with a bow sitting down, the damn metal rails are always in the way of the bottom cam. 

That’s a concern I have too but the guys above certainly kill deer from them each year.   We shall see…..

11 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

A few pieces of advise, first pay attention to the bar that goes around to cage you in, you want one that will flip up and out of the way, I learned the hard way if they are in the way it can block your shot and destroy your lower bow limb, may are to far out to just hold ahead of it. Second I really prefer a large platform, it gives you more room to position for the shot and offers safety by giving you more room so you do not step off when trying to set up for the shot. Wear a restraint devise from bottom to top and top to bottom, I am slowly losing hunting because my body is falling apart because of accidents (Not hunting related) I would hate to see you lose something the way I did for 17 years and it looks like I will lose again in the next few years because my body is falling apart. Buy a good stand, the best you can't afford, it is more important than anything other than you hunting implement and will serve you for a long time if you maintain it, don't go cheap. Practice from it after you set it up find your trouble areas ahead of time and if a lane needs trimming then it is better to know ahead of time. Get a friend or two to help you set it or them up, us safety harnesses setting it up the same as you would while hunting, you can get hurt just as quick setting them up as you can hunting from them. They do not make it anymore but I used this one because I loved the large platform and the bench seat. https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Deluxe-Person-Hunting/dp/B003TP4M2U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1538540296&sr=1-4&keywords=ladder+stands&dpID=41RjEAH6jHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&linkCode=sl1&tag=reprapmagazine-20&linkId=92fe8b7d1bab08bf965ef186d8fbdf65&language=en_US

61brBFqFdqL._AC_SL1155_.jpg

My favorite ladder stand but not made anymore , the fold in half rail made bowhunting possible for me, and I love the flip up all metal frame seat ,I take the supplied pad off it and use a hottest. 

Every manufacture has gone to mesh.. mesh rots and weakens in the weather they last a bit but the day you go to a stand and the seat rips from under you your done, you probably won't find a replacement. So stand become junk. At least with full metal frame under you a simple hot seat works every time and if you forget it you can still sit.  

They also made a man and a half that I liked again flip up full metal frame.. 

I think big dogg trèstands are only one left to make a full metal seat anymore

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

That’s a concern I have too but the guys above certainly kill deer from them each year.   We shall see…..

Yeah, I have killed some deer out them, but I bought an xop hangon I can throw up in my ladder stands and hop right onto. Makes any set a double also.

Big platform and flip up seat are a must. I probably spend as much time standing in my stands as I do sitting and that extra room is essential. I like to keep the shooting rail pretty low so it's less in the way of your bottom cam during archery. For gun season I bring a little v shaped gun rest that sits on the rail. I also hang some kind of skirting from the rail to at conceal some leg movement. Definitely extra ratchet straps and check them often. I also prefer the metal seats with the cushions but they seem to be all switching to mesh which are ok but no as good in my opinion. I definitely feel a lot safer in ladder stands than a hang on. Like others said, it's probably a false sense of security but it works

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I used to pull my ladder stands down each winter and store them in my barn. That gets old so they've been out in the woods going on ten years just getting a new strap every season. I do give them a good inspection at the beginning of every season but I'm pretty sure I'll be swapping out at least one or two this year. 

As far as those shooting rails , I’ve never put one on , anybody wants some , they’re leaning against my garage wall . I do have 4 of the Moog stands , 3 of which I know where they are . They are super easy to move, I just remove the strap grab a lower rung and carry them upright to the next tree .

One of my best stands is one of those , but it’s along a crop field ( beans this year ) and set for shots to my left ,so I don’t need to move around on it .

• Like 1

This buck and three others were within 10 feet. This photo was taken immediately after I shot my bow buck this year. I shot the buck while this deer and the others were in the same exact place eating acorns. I had to wait for my partner to come get me to bust them out of there so as to not give up the stand location.

I’m right handed and I shot the buck at 3 o clock. Had to stand up, turn, and shoot. This stand was also set here 48-60 hours before the shot, too, if I recall properly. Buck I shot went by while I was in stand the first day we set it. Unfortunately not in a shooting lane. Second sit killed him.

Anyone saying you can’t bowhunt effectively out of ladder stands is just being close minded. Preference I get. Saying it can’t be done effectively….meh.

4EBCA20B-693E-40B3-9F85-D81CE0C12FFD.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

My favorite ladder stand but not made anymore , the fold in half rail made bowhunting possible for me, and I love the flip up all metal frame seat ,I take the supplied pad off it and use a hottest. 

Every manufacture has gone to mesh.. mesh rots and weakens in the weather they last a bit but the day you go to a stand and the seat rips from under you your done, you probably won't find a replacement. So stand become junk. At least with full metal frame under you a simple hot seat works every time and if you forget it you can still sit.  

They also made a man and a half that I liked again flip up full metal frame.. 

I think big dogg trèstands are only one left to make a full metal seat anymore

You can replace with a wood seat. Just drill the appropriate holes. While not ideal as wood rots, you can monitor it for safety and replace every so often. Not that hard. You'll need a seat pad though...LOL.

Don't care for a ladder that when I stand up I am .away from the tree . Like to have my shoulder or back against it. Most ladders don't allow for that.  And the doubles with mesh seats are near impossible to sit in the middle without a bar Being up  your ass..  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

I’ve found the webbing seats don’t last long, those I replace with plywood . The mesh seats on my ladders have lasted years and years , I did get some replacement mesh seats for them but have yet to need them .

My patio chairs are mesh ,very similar to my large stands, they’ve been outside year round for perhaps 12 years .

There’s also many strap on seats one could use ,if one had total failure of the stands seat .

Edited by Nomad

I am not a fan on ladder stands for bow hunting in NY, I feel like there is bit too much pressure and are too visible. I seen too many deer skirt the stands and even have pictures of them doing it.
That said we have ladder stands in KS on our leases and deer are oblivious to them.

We have about 40 stands, several brands …for us the stand has to have platform that goes all the way to tree, it has to have flip up seat , it has to be 18 feet or more to the platform. We take all the rails off the stands because we only bowhunt. Last batch we bought 10 millennium stands, the single seat version. They are best I used so far and pretty much all we by in the future. In fact I am going to some for the farm we hunt in Iowa.

I like a ladder stand with a good padded flip up seat and the platform must be large enough and go all the way back to the tree. As Gman said I like to stand up with my back against the tree and those ladder stands with the little platforms don't do that. Also, use extra ratchet straps and strap the platform to the tree as it will make the stand feel much more secure. As for the shooting rails I don't even use them, they are always in the way. JMHO

Cabela's flyer just came in the mail...  These really are great, they are comfortable and roomy. We have no problem shooting the bows from them with the rail lowered all the way. If the rail is a concern you can flip it behind you against the tree or don't install it at all.

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don_C said:

Cabela's flyer just came in the mail...  These really are great, they are comfortable and roomy. We have no problem shooting the bows from them with the rail lowered all the way. If the rail is a concern you can flip it behind you against the tree or don't install it at all.

Unknown.jpeg

I bought one of these last year at Bass Pro. I love it!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I like the false sense of security the rail provides, lol

Just tighten up your safety harness strap a bit, lean forward into the the rail and lightly snooze until you hear the crunch, crunch, crunch, of his hooves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Don_C said:

Unknown.jpeg

Funny thing, I just went online and they don't even show them.  Nice........

I sorely miss Dick & Jim Cabela.

Edit to add: I "Googled" that specific stand and found it but it's not available online and they don't even give a price.   If you search Their website for "ladder stands" the show 8 stands, none of which is this one.  Oh well!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Sad 1