So what did you spend on a deer mount this past season?

First-light

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

No mounts for me last year. But..... I have decided that my next one will be a pedestal mount. What are the average prices for one of those???

Typically $50-100 more: the forms cost more, as do the mount hangers, it depends on the type of backing used and it takes more time to put the mount together than a standard shoulder mount. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Typically $50-100 more: the forms cost more, as do the mount hangers, it depends on the type of backing used and it takes more time to put the mount together than a standard shoulder mount. 

Thank You!!!

You would be the first one I'd call!!!

45 minutes ago, Einsamer Krieger said:

I would rather save my money towards other outdoors toys.  My last mount 30 years ago was around $250.

I use to say that as well but then I took a beautiful 10 point a few years ago and quickly tossed money at it for a mount. like shocking fast probably before I even gutted it! LOL. I took another nice 10 point this past year with my daughter on thanksgiving and again quickly made the decision to toss money at the problem. 

Did I tell you me wife is thrilled? No, well I would be lying anyways. LOL 

• Like 2

It is very coincidental that this thread popped up today. I'm in the position right now where I'm about to make a major life decision. I have been tossing around the idea of quitting my dead end day job to pursue the taxidermy hobby as more of a full time gig. The money isn't great but all of my interests revolve around hunting/outdoors in one way or another.  The main competitor in my home area just quit taxidermy as a side business and I believe that I could easily double my intake if I was proactive about it. Plus, the members of this forum usually toss a few deer my way too...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

It is very coincidental that this thread popped up today. I'm in the position right now where I'm about to make a major life decision. I have been tossing around the idea of quitting my dead end day job to pursue the taxidermy hobby as more of a full time gig. The money isn't great but all of my interests revolve around hunting/outdoors in one way or another.  The main competitor in my home area just quit taxidermy as a side business and I believe that I could easily double my intake if I was proactive about it. Plus, the members of this forum usually toss a few deer my way too...

May I be the first (at least on this thread) to publicly support this idea. I will also financially support it as well in the form of paying for service rendered. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

It's very obvious that you have a real talent for taxidermy work. Your work is beautiful!! And your "hobbie" probably doesn't seem like "work"? I have no doubt that you will be very successful with your own business. Go for it!! If I get real lucky, I'd love to come out to meet you!!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Told you, you should go after it 100% man. It is your calling. You have the potential to not just be the best here, but to have the industry know who you are. Go for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

There's nothing like being your own boss. I could never go back to working for " the man" after being my own boss ( other than my father looking over my shoulder).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

my guy out here is in his late 70s and takes in only a dozen deer a year and i am not even sure if he is doing any at all since my last time i went to him was 2018.  Now I am no two buck Larry by any means but I would 100% make the trip to WNY and drop off a mount should i get one.  Your work is amazing 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I use to say that as well but then I took a beautiful 10 point a few years ago and quickly tossed money at it for a mount. like shocking fast probably before I even gutted it! LOL. I took another nice 10 point this past year with my daughter on thanksgiving and again quickly made the decision to toss money at the problem. 

Did I tell you me wife is thrilled? No, well I would be lying anyways. LOL 

I have 2 walls full of mounts . I probably can get another 3 to fit if I put them up in the cathedral ceiling . My wife asked me what happens when I run out of room . I told her the kid pictures come down next and then the wedding pictures to make more room . LOL

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, E J said:

There's nothing like being your own boss. I could never go back to working for " the man" after being my own boss ( other than my father looking over my shoulder).

Sure it’s great to be self employed but you need plenty of discipline when it comes to health insurance, retirement, business insurance and tax planning.  

Hence the reason plenty of taxidermists run there business as a part time gig.   God forbid you have an injury to your hand in November and can’t swing a knife for six weeks due to severed tendons or damaged ligaments.   Maybe it happens in April or May just as you get 30-40 hides back from the tannery?  Uggh

I hate to be Debbie Downer but…..I’ve seen it in a couple local taxidermist locally and guys in other self employed businesses.   

Good luck EITHER way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1