Running shots

Grouse

Here’s my take on running shots bow and handgun no, shotgun and rifle ok. I’m more comfortable shooting at a running deer with a shotgun. A shotgun swings more natural than a rifle. I treat it like shooting at birds start at the back swing and follow though. It works but I don’t make a habit of shooting at running deer.

• Like 1

Here’s my take on running shots bow and handgun no, shotgun and rifle ok. I’m more comfortable shooting at a running deer with a shotgun. A shotgun swings more natural than a rifle. I treat it like shooting at birds start at the back swing and follow though. It works but I don’t make a habit of shooting at running deer.

Very good point on setup Larry, there’s a reason why most people that hunt using methods that often results in running shots rifles are a lot different than a fellow that’s sitting in a tree stand!

It’s kind of funny that most people think of brush guns as lever action but I know of very few people that still hunt/track with levers and the reason is it’s very hard to swing on a running deer while running a lever.

A short light pump or semi rifle with a peep or low powered scope swings like a scatter gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

“ running shots “ that’s a meaningless phrase . How far ? 200 yards ? , 20 ? 2?  Like many older guys here ,we drove everyday ,miles of farmland very successfully , if you know your land you can place the watchers to exact trees . Couple times I took  new guys who’d doubt where I placed them , then they’d drop a buck at 10 yards as he ran by . 

The last weekend of gun we ( 2 sometimes 3 of us )will still  push a couple spots , new guy last year( 20 year break from hunting )  , I had a stick stuck in the ground where he should stand in the field ,and told him they would run across 10-15 yards West of him , few minutes ,later he had a doe down .
Years ago we drove a wood lot on the farm to get my cousin his first deer. I had a stand with location on that ridge that's been fine tuned over the years. Walked him through gun safety stuff because I got up in stand and put him below on the ground so I could coach him and tell him when deer were coming. Had something like 22 deer run down the trail right under the stand. He froze and then thought he was going to get run over. He ended up hiding behind the tree! That day a running shot at 5 yards was too hard apparently! Haha

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Every deer hunting rifle and shotgun that I own has a scope on it. That limits my abilities on moving targets. I also would feel a bit like I was pushing the safety envelope swinging my gun through the woods at a fleeing deer and only being able to see such a limited amount of the terrain as I am pulling the trigger.

People can do whatever they feel comfortable with, but I think the higher percentages of a good humane kill for me lies with shooting calm, unaware, relaxed, deer. It just increases the chances of a happy result with no regrets.

• Like 1