Friendly end of Summer Bee Reminder

Gobbler Chaser

I was walking the woods yesterday looking at my overgrown trails and shooting lanes when I came to a spot with an old hollowed out blow over that was literally humming almost sounding like a large electrical generator plant of some sort. On a closer look I could see the air around this dead tree was a blur of movement with what possibly had to be thousands of hornets or some other nasty species on this log. I didn't stick around to identify, just cleared the area. 

On a side note we are coming up to that time of year when bees and hornets become very aggressive. I've had on more than one occasion been seen running thru the woods punching myself in my own face screaming like some kind of nut in a swarm of bees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a nest of yellow jackets next to the pool last summer, and then later in the summer discovered they came through the soffit and built a nest in the ceiling. We had no idea (it was in our entryway) until a little hole appeared and they came swarming out of it. I got hit half a dozen times and my daughter a couple before I got the wasp spray and soaked it, and then taped up the hole. Exterminator came and we had to replace the portion of our ceiling. It was a mess.

Thankfully, this summer hasn't been nearly as bad. I haven't seen any congregation of bees in our yard except for a few honey and bumble bees in the garden. 

19 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I have been stung by Yellow Jackets often in Late Summer while Mowing.

Never been stung yet by a Honey Bee- although they have Bumped me hard flying into me while walking  past my Rose of Sharon tree.

When I was a young kid we'd play barefoot all the time, and stepped on honey bees about every day. My dad would pull some of the tobacco out of his cigarette, chew on it and then tell us to hold it over the sting to draw out the venom (I think that's what you'd call it).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Splitear said:

We had a nest of yellow jackets next to the pool last summer, and then later in the summer discovered they came through the soffit and built a nest in the ceiling. We had no idea (it was in our entryway) until a little hole appeared and they came swarming out of it. I got hit half a dozen times and my daughter a couple before I got the wasp spray and soaked it, and then taped up the hole. Exterminator came and we had to replace the portion of our ceiling. It was a mess.

Thankfully, this summer hasn't been nearly as bad. I haven't seen any congregation of bees in our yard except for a few honey and bumble bees in the garden. 

That's some scary stuff!

23 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I have been stung by Yellow Jackets often in Late Summer while Mowing.

Never been stung yet by a Honey Bee- although they have Bumped me hard flying into me while walking  past my Rose of Sharon tree.

Not sure of what this nest was. I cleared the area quickly and will sneak back on a chilly Sept morning. If it's bees they get a pass and can continue carrying on their business, if it's hornets then a genocide will follow, lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

That's some scary stuff!

More annoying than scary once I got them knocked out. The nest in the ceiling was a pain, but didn't last long once we discovered it. However, the ground nest by the pool stuck around until it got cold. They had 4-5 holes, and we just never could get them knocked out. My father-in-law's favorite activity when they visited last summer was sitting on the deck, drinking beer and shooting them with wasp spray when they came out of the ground. I've never seen him enjoy himself so much. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 1

Found 2 nests a week or so behind the vinyl siding. They get in where the "j" trim ends. I tried the foaming spray, but since you can see the nest, it was useless. Picked up some Spectracide Pro wasp and hornet killer Saturday. Stuff is amazing. Killed both nests the first time. 

Yesterday I'm walking past the camper, and noticed yellow jackets going in through the refrigerator vent. Sprayed those last night. No bees flying around this morning. 

• Like 1

I have started to notice an uptick in bee activity recently. 

Last year when I was at the property in mid September I got a frantic phone call from my wife who was working from home. According to her there where hundreds of bees inside the living room and kitchen. Luckily I had my oldest daughter with me and my youngest daughter was already at her grandparents house.  

She grabbed the dog and got out of there without getting stung. We had an exterminator come by and after a $500 plus dollar bill the problem was solved. 

The bees built a nest in the outside wall cavity and somehow our curtain rod got ripped off the wall and that gave them the access point to the inside. The exterminator got stung twice and said that's the most bee's he's ever seen in a wall cavity. Lucky us. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I was walking the woods yesterday looking at my overgrown trails and shooting lanes when I came to a spot with an old hollowed out blow over that was literally humming almost sounding like a large electrical generator plant of some sort. On a closer look I could see the air around this dead tree was a blur of movement with what possibly had to be thousands of hornets or some other nasty species on this log. I didn't stick around to identify, just cleared the area. 

On a side note we are coming up to that time of year when bees and hornets become very aggressive. I've had on more than one occasion been seen running thru the woods punching myself in my own face screaming like some kind of nut in a swarm of bees.

What about this time of year makes them aggressive?
Man, I’ve been bushwhacking off trail with impunity all summer. Reminds me of my carefree treks into rattlesnake country until my dog decided to go after one. This sort of thing makes you want to reel it in until the fall….something there about ignorance and bliss

Edited by Versatile_Hunter
  • Like 1

I spent yesterday morning dealing with 2 yellow jacket nests. The pic is of a ground nest on my front lawn. I spread Sevin dust at the opening. The yellow jackets will bring the dust into the nest as it sticks to them and will spread it through the nest killing them. The other nest was started on my basement ceiling after they came in under the siding. I soaked that nest with Spectracide wasp and hornet killer and let it set for 2 hours. I then sucked up the nest after they died with a shop vac. Luckily I was never stung. I have had this problem arise in the early Fall in past years and am careful to be on the lookout for them.        valoroutdoors.com 

20210817_100641.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

This is at my friends place……a week ago it wasn’t there!!

It’d light you up like no tomorrow and could kill you.

7117D9EC-6D7B-460B-AA99-1A1FC902BCF4.jpeg

It's amazing how fast they make the nest.

Few yrs ago I was mowing a clients lawn and came face to face with a nest that size. Got hit twice. The week before that nest wasn't there because I have to duck to get under that limb. 

Edited by mowin

5 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

I spent yesterday morning dealing with 2 yellow jacket nests. The pic is of a ground nest on my front lawn. I spread Sevin dust at the opening. The yellow jackets will bring the dust into the nest as it sticks to them and will spread it through the nest killing them. The other nest was started on my basement ceiling after they came in under the siding. I soaked that nest with Spectracide wasp and hornet killer and let it set for 2 hours. I then sucked up the nest after they died with a shop vac. Luckily I was never stung. I have had this problem arise in the early Fall in past years and am careful to be on the lookout for them.        valoroutdoors.com 

I use Sevin as well on under ground yellow jacket nests. Works like a charm! Funny that the last time I looked at the label, it listed a bunch of insects that it kills, but didn't mention yellow jackets! Hell, I'd be pimping that as a selling point! :cool: