Cabin Help

bfahy13

I am hoping someone here may have some insight on a few things im trying to figure out. 

We are about to close on a new property with a relatively new cabin built 10-12 years ago. 

The issue is that is has remained un occupied for at least the last 5 years. 

Would this cause any concerns with the well/pump or the septic? 

When we went and looked at the place there was no electric, so i couldnt test the water and the owner has passed and his kids dont seem to know much about the septic system in place. 

6 minutes ago, First-light said:

So there is a well hooked to the house? Runs on generator? Is there a survey or drawing plans? My cabin was built on 2007. I have the plans for the cabin build and septic. All town approved. 

Negative ad that is why its causing concerns. 

Currently no CO on the cabin. It is a cash sale, on just the property hypothetically. 

I plan to eventually get a CO, however the 3 or 4 neighboring properties are all the same set up(one is a friend) 

Just trying to plan for what i could be in store for in the immediate future, as far as using it for the upcoming season, 

2 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

Negative ad that is why its causing concerns. 

Currently no CO on the cabin. It is a cash sale, on just the property hypothetically. 

I plan to eventually get a CO, however the 3 or 4 neighboring properties are all the same set up(one is a friend) 

Just trying to plan for what i could be in store for in the immediate future, as far as using it for the upcoming season, 

Look at the well cap to see who installed it. A lot of times it will have info on it. Give them a call. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Usually county health department checks well and septic ,if they don't pass the sellers have to fix or drop price so you can.. 

Wow, never heard of county doing the inspections.

I'm our area it's up to the buyer to hire a independent home inspector. His findings don't even go to the town or county. 

While it's a bargain tool if something fails, the seller doesn't have to drop the price or fix, but they risk the buyer backing out of the deal.

Edited by mowin

I doubt the county would get involved, but you could pay them for a test. Or hire a home inspector to test the well and septic. I would be more concerned about the well as septics tend to be bombproof. Unless you're in the DEP watershed.

The issue will be getting power to the pump. I guess you could bring a generator out and hook it up. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Pay a septic company and well company for separate inspections. They’ll find it, dig up the parts they can see and check it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is the way to go. Regular home inspectors don't do septic and wells. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, left field said:

I doubt the county would get involved, but you could pay them for a test. Or hire a home inspector to test the well and septic. I would be more concerned about the well as septics tend to be bombproof. Unless you're in the DEP watershed.

The issue will be getting power to the pump. I guess you could bring a generator out and hook it up. 

Good luck. 

3 counties I am familiar with,Erie,Wyoming and Cattaraugus do dye tests for septic and some sort of water test for safety of drinking.Cash or not at some poin t the septic and water source will be checked.

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Cash deal , get the well checked yourself by health department,if it needs to be shocked they will let you know , don't worry about septic passing , cause they don't need to know, dig it up tank access and pump it out.

This is how im feeling about it all. I cant redrill a well myself, but ive installed a few off grid septic tanks. Just trying to check any potential financial hits before i sign the check. 

I would think there is some kind of CO on the cabin. The electric company would not have installed a meter or energize the house without a final electrical inspection. Ask the town building department and helth department for all records on the cabin, this will save  you many future headaches.

You might want to talk with the town tax assessor too. See if the property is being taxed with a structure on it. The tax code will tell you if it is taxed as a seasonal cabin or a permanent residence or possibly taxed with no structure at all. 

I had to argue this with the assessor in my town. The cabin originaly had a septic but no well or electric. The assessor had the cabin taxed as a full time residence with all utilities. I made her change the classification to a seasonal cabin. This saved me much $ in the early days.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bfahy13 said:

This is how im feeling about it all. I cant redrill a well myself, but ive installed a few off grid septic tanks. Just trying to check any potential financial hits before i sign the check. 

Most.wells can be shocked into potability.   Septic can simply be a holding tank depending on amount of use ,just keep it pumped. 

7 hours ago, First-light said:

This is the way to go. Regular home inspectors don't do septic and wells. 

Mine did. That is, checked the portability of the water and did a dye test on the septic. Outside of digging them up, not sure what else you can test. 

6 hours ago, farmer 52 said:

3 counties I am familiar with,Erie,Wyoming and Cattaraugus do dye tests for septic and some sort of water test for safety of drinking.Cash or not at some poin t the septic and water source will be checked.

Not in an non-CO cabin. At least not here in Delaware County. When does your county come in and test well water during a sale? 

37 minutes ago, left field said:

Mine did. That is, checked the portability of the water and did a dye test on the septic. Outside of digging them up, not sure what else you can test. 

Not in an non-CO cabin. At least not here in Delaware County. When does your county come in and test well water during a sale? 

remember 30 years ago an inspector doing a dye test on my septic. I said what will this show, he said just a pipe buried in the ground. That's all I know. 

8 minutes ago, left field said:

My limited understanding is that it shows if the bed/field is leaking or failing. Other than digging a tank up, how do inspect a septic system? 

We had our tank pumped by a septic company. Once pumped they can check to see if the tank/baffles are in good condition. Other than that, not much else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, left field said:

The well is tested prior to sale,as is the septic is dye tested prior to closing to insure the septic is working correctly.

They did a dye test on my septic system when I bought my house. The guy was showing my wife and I how the system has passed and no dye was present, I was surprised because I had been smelling shit and seeing damp areas for weeks since closing. Luckily my wife took a couple extra laps around the area and stepped in water that turned her sock green. Lol we could have been screwed.