Air Rifle for Squirrel Hunting

Squirrels are one of my favorite animals to hunt, and I'm looking forward to getting back in the woods and after them next month. I have traditionally used my 10/22 very successfully on them. This year I plan to take out my old Remington pump a few times as well. However, in an effort to conserve some of my .22 ammo, I'm seriously considering jumping into hunting them with an air rifle. 

Outside of the multi-pump Daisy's I had as a kid, I know very little about air rifles. We have some in our 4-H program, primarily the Crossman 1077's (which we are phasing out). I'd really like some recommendations for a reliable and accurate (scoped) air rifle for squirrel hunting. What do you have?

Edited by Splitear

I started looking into this myself for backyard pests. There's a lot more to it now days with all the different pellet options. Sounds like accuracy depends on finding the right pellet to feed it! I was leaning towards a .22 cal vs .177, but not sure yet.

There's a lot of good info and reviews on YouTube.

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I started looking into this myself for backyard pests. There's a lot more to it now days with all the different pellet options. Sounds like accuracy depends on finding the right pellet to feed it! I was leaning towards a .22 cal vs .177, but not sure yet.

There's a lot of good info and reviews on YouTube.

My problem is that there's almost too much information out there :) I really love the idea of conserving my .22lr stuff, but then I think "well I bought it for hunting, so why am I not wanting to hunt with it?". Also looking at the cost of a decent quality air rifle, I could buy quite a bit of .22, even at today's prices, if I can find it. 

The big thing that I went into this thought with is that I can shoot in my backyard. However, I live in a development, and it sounds like the air rifles aren't a whole lot quieter than a .22. I spoke with a local ECO, and he said that he'd recommend talking to anyone with a dwelling within 500ft, which is about a dozen houses. I'm starting to think it's not worth it. 

I bought a cheap Gamo with a scope at a box store and killed a number of greys with it. It is a single pump that shoots around 1100 fps. It's way quieter than a .22, but has less effective range.  It's accurate, but has a lousy trigger.  Then again, I think I paid about $100 for it.  

Edited by stubborn1VT
additional info
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Splitear said:

My problem is that there's almost too much information out there :) I really love the idea of conserving my .22lr stuff, but then I think "well I bought it for hunting, so why am I not wanting to hunt with it?". Also looking at the cost of a decent quality air rifle, I could buy quite a bit of .22, even at today's prices, if I can find it. 

The big thing that I went into this thought with is that I can shoot in my backyard. However, I live in a development, and it sounds like the air rifles aren't a whole lot quieter than a .22. I spoke with a local ECO, and he said that he'd recommend talking to anyone with a dwelling within 500ft, which is about a dozen houses. I'm starting to think it's not worth it. 

Most people don't know the difference between air rifles or any other rifle so I don't think they will look to kindly at you shooting one near a populated area.  I'd say stick with a .22 for hunting.  You can't beat a .22 for squirrels.  Get a brick or two of ammo when the prices settle down and you'll be good for a long while.  In the meantime I'm sure you can find a 50 round box or two to get you thru the season.  No fuss with a .22 and you don't have rediscover the wheel with air rifles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

Most people don't know the difference between air rifles or any other rifle so I don't think they will look to kindly at you shooting one near a populated area.  I'd say stick with a .22 for hunting.  You can't beat a .22 for squirrels.  Get a brick or two of ammo when the prices settle down and you'll be good for a long while.  In the meantime I'm sure you can find a 50 round box or two to get you thru the season.  No fuss with a .22 and you don't have rediscover the wheel with air rifles.

I've got plenty to get me through several seasons if need be. Your suggestion seems to be the direction I'm leaning. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PraiseDiana said:

I have a Crosman break barrel/gas piston .177 that is quite accurate and can easily take squirrels out to 50yds

crossman nitro piston, using the heavier .177 pellets I have taken a woodchuck. Accurate after the barrel break in .

Have to try different pellets to see what the barrel likes.

• Like 1

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/gamo-swarm-whisper-10x-air-rifle?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Nb|Generic|CatchAll|DSA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASpZY3zqY0UBCiYITBymUGmjsPrkmSCQxijtOPpy6LHQp028SME5NQUaAjZeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cousin bought one of these and its a snappy little thing.obviously your not going to get the range as an actual .22 rifle but for what it is,its killed alot of chipmunks/red squirrels in my back lawn.good variety of .22cal pellets on the market for it aswell,10 round clip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I bought a cheap Gamo with a scope at a box store and killed a number of greys with it. It is a single pump that shoots around 1100 fps. It's way quieter than a .22, but has less effective range.  It's accurate, but has a lousy trigger.  Then again, I think I paid about $100 for it.  

I bought a break-action Marksman .177 caliber a few years ago at Dick's when they had them on sale for $ 39.  I think it fires a pellet at more than 1000 fps, so it should work for squirrels, but I have yet to try it on one.  The trigger is also very hard.

It came with a 1" tube 4x scope that is attached to the receiver.  I dont trust that with the break action and the hard trigger pull.  It also has real nice fiber optic sights front and back attached to the barrel.

I had it sighted in ok with the scope, but was not too happy with the groups, so I took that off.  When I get time, I am going to see what my effective range is with the open sights and use it on squirrels under that range.  

My plan is to carry that with me, along with my crossbow or deer gun, on a few hunts, starting the last two weeks of archery season.  It looks like that would be legal, and the squirrel action would eliminate some boredom, if the deer action is slow.  The .22 rimfire would probably not be legal in that situation.

I am unlikely to do any squirrel hunting, prior to deer season, because I don't want to burn out my deer spots.  It sure will be nice to be able to deal with those pesky squirrels during deer season, even if it is only the ones that are within 15 yards (that's my guess at what my hard trigger open sight effective range will be).

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would suggest skipping over the Gamo rifles.  They are alright for what they are, but leave a lot to desire.  I own one and never use it.

A PCP rifle would be the way to go.   I have a Beeman Chief 2 in .177, plenty accurate out to 50 yards with the right pellet.  2000psi fill up is easy with a basic hand pump.  I get 30 good shots on a fill up.  Rifle, budget scope, and pump were $300 out the door.

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 1