Bee allergy

Chef

So i do not really know where to start so I’m just gunna write. Yesterday was the most terrifying day of my life. At 7am my wife asked me to go outside and remove a bunch of tent Caterpillar‘s from a tree in our front yard. I went out with the pole saw and started cutting. As soon as that branch hit the ground, a giant hornet came and stung me right on the nose. It hurt way worse than any bee sting I’ve ever had. I went inside to put ice on it and it started to swell. My wife gave me a Benadryl and a glass of water. That’s pretty much when everything goes black. Apparently I sat on the couch couldn’t hold the water and spilled it all over myself. I then told my wife I was going to bed to lay down. Well I didn’t make it. I was about half when there when I hit the floor, apparently I I hit the floor and started to convulse. This happened 3 separate times before the ambulance arrive. The only thing I really remember is my heart pounding out of my chest and my begging the paramedics not to let me die. They gave me a shot of EPI on the way to the ambulance and everything went black again. I came to about 3 min from the hospital, shaking like a leaf from the epi but feeling much better.

I guess I will now be carrying a Epi pen with me till the first frost durring huntinh season.

This is what my house looked like when I got home

4f45856c080c5f0275c19644c1db7055.jpg

4c0591ccc465d277285ecfd57787418f.jpg

• Sad 5

Woah, that had to have been terrifying for both you and your wife.

How are you doing now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was insane, at this point I’m ok I think she is still shell shocked. Her and my 4 year old son were there. This morning he threw himself ok the floor where I was laying and started to cry telling my wife he is scared.

Mentally I’m ok physically I’m exhausted and want to sleep all day.

Thanks man

Holy shit. Glad you're ok. Can't imagine how terrifying that had to be for you and your family. 
When did you last get stung(before yesterday), and was there any indication of a reaction?

Probably about 10 years ago. I ran into a nest while trimming a bush. Was stung 5 times in the face and there was some swelling but nothing like this.

And thanks man

• Like 1

My nephew is allergic to deer fur.  Like you and bees, he had no clue. Helped me drag a deer out 15 yrs before he shot his first. Almost lost him in the woods the reaction was so bad. 

So strange how allergies develope in people. 

Stay safe..

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

Crap! Glad you are ok. Last fall I also had a very scary incident with ground hornets, when mowing the lawn. I was stung over thirty times...lost count, mainly on my feet and ankles, and L hand. I ran inside, with the bastards following me. Stripped down and brushed em off. They were down in my shirt and in my hair still stinging. I took four benadryl immediatly, and walked quickly across the way to where my neigbor was, to have someone else around (we were up at our camp). Over there I pulled off my socks to find even more hornets still in there! After about an hour, we knew at least that I was safe from an allergic reaction, and I drove home. Spent the most miserable next several days of my life, and my L hand was swollen twice its size for about three weeks. My doctor recommended an epi pen...which any doc can offer for prophylaxis in the home.... He stated that after such an exposure as I had, I would be more likely to have an allergic reaction in the future. hate to spend the 300.oo for the pen though.

My nephew is allergic to deer fur.  Like you and bees, he had no clue. Helped me drag a deer out 15 yrs before he shot his first. Almost lost him in the woods the reaction was so bad. 
So strange how allergies develope in people. 
Stay safe..

Glad you didn’t!

Crap! Glad you are ok. Last fall I also had a very scary incident with ground hornets, when mowing the lawn. I was stung over thirty times...lost count, mainly on my feet and ankles, and L hand. I ran inside, with the bastards following me. Stripped down and brushed em off. They were down in my shirt and in my hair still stinging. I took four benadryl immediatly, and walked quickly across the way to where my neigbor was, to have someone else around (we were up at our camp). Over there I pulled off my socks to find even more hornets still in there! After about an hour, we knew at least that I was safe from an allergic reaction, and I drove home. Spent the most miserable next several days of my life, and my L hand was swollen twice its size for about three weeks. My doctor recommended an epi pen...which any doc can offer for prophylaxis in the home.... He stated that after such an exposure as I had, I would be more likely to have an allergic reaction in the future. hate to spend the 300.oo for the pen though.

From what I was told if you had swelling you stand a good chance of having a reaction if stung again. I would get the pen. FYI with insurance yesterday mine was $10 for two of them

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

From what I was told if you had swelling you stand a good chance of having a reaction if stung again. I would get the pen. FYI with insurance yesterday mine was $10 for two of them

Yep. Sounds like a very smart idea. I can check with the pharmacy to see what the cost is...needless to say, as much time as I spend outside there (considerable) it is a smart thing to do anyway, regardless of the cost.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chef said:

It was insane, at this point I’m ok I think she is still shell shocked. Her and my 4 year old son were there. This morning he threw himself ok the floor where I was laying and started to cry telling my wife he is scared.

Mentally I’m ok physically I’m exhausted and want to sleep all day.

Thanks man

Oh man I was hoping your son wasn't around to see it all unfold. 

Not that you really want or need parenting advice from someone on the internet but I have found that kids handle scary/stressful situations better if you straight up tell them what happened, why you had to go to the hospital and why it wont happen again because you now have medicine that will immediately help. Don't talk to him as a kid talk to him almost as he is an adult. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh man I was hoping your son wasn't around to see it all unfold. 
Not that you really want or need parenting advice from someone on the internet but I have found that kids handle scary/stressful situations better if you straight up tell them what happened, why you had to go to the hospital and why it wont happen again because you now have medicine that will immediately help. Don't talk to him as a kid talk to him almost as he is an adult. 

Yea man that’s exactly what had we did. We didn’t really tell him what happened but had him tell us what he thought happened which was fairly accurate then we explained to him the difference between the two. Showed him my Epi pen and told him now daddy has the medicine to take care of himself

Thanks!

• Like 3

Glad your doing well, and I share your allergy as well. I was stung 40 years ago and had a severe reaction and ER visit.

Been carrying EPI pen and Benadryl; I've been stung 2-3 times every year since then and nothing. Last year about this time I had a hornet hit my truck mirror, come in the window and I pinched it under my arm and was stung. I know if I get one in my truck I pull over immediately and evacuate the vehicle until I complete my search and kill mission....

Within a minute I knew it was an issue, I took multiple Benadryl and went immediately to the nearest "urgent care" they shipped me off in the ambulance to the ER for treatment.

I now carry 4 EPI pens and a full bottle of Benadryl... I have a red fanny pack that I drag along with just my meds in it. As other post indicates they are angry this time of year and I carry my "kit" in the woods until snow fall and then again in early spring.

Be safe and get in the habit of knowing where your meds are and your family and friends know how to use the EPI pen correctly..

Get rested and be safe!!

• Like 1