Just an old Marlin 81DL

We had to say goodbye to my dad July 6th.He made it to 81 years old. He suffered longer than anyone should have to with cancer and fought it to the end. This was his Marlin .22 from about 1960 I guess.Probably one of the first few years with the Micro-Groove Barrels. It was in rough shape before I cleaned it up. I glued and clamped a crack in the stock and sanded and put 3 coats of boiled linseed oil on the wood. Used gun oil and fine steel wool to remove some of the rust from all of the metal parts that needed it.The buttstock plate was missing so I made one out of brass sheet stock.It isn't perfect but it will do. I may try rebluing it this winter. It is an enjoyable rifle to shoot with the peep sight as long as I am not too far from the target (eyes).Marlin81DL.thumb.jpg.154fb2d12b7ad9897f40b448c7683b6c.jpg576871738_DadsMarlin.thumb.jpg.5d157ec194386bc95433ae4ff5c19ff0.jpg1500004990_Marlin81.thumb.jpg.2ff8aeb2e1d142663ecd726c811db94a.jpg

• Like 17

Nice job on a fine old rifle....

I still have my Dad's  .22,  a Stevens M15 single shot...As far as I know, it is the only .22 he ever owned...He hunted coon for years but had always borrowed his brother's rifle.... My Mom bought him that Stevens single shot  for about $15  for his birthday around 1955  or 56....

It was also the first REAL gun I ever fired, and it accounted for my first woodchuck, rabbit, grey squirrel, coon, crow and ruffed grouse...  And possibly a couple of other critters that I don't remember..

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, airedale said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I have several of my Dad's firearms and use them frequently, in their way they keep the connection for me.

You did a good job on that old Marlin, that old walnut stock has some pretty fair figure in it.

Al

Thank you, I do love the character of wood gun stocks !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, First-light said:

I have my Dads 22 peeps sites and all. My Daughter shoots it all the time. Something to hand down the generations. Looks great! Enjoy it, your Dad would be happy!

Thanks, I want  the grandkids to shoot the Marlin again hopefully. I am sure my dad would like how it looks now.

• Like 1