Back yard food plot

Welp I’m kinda behind but we’re getting her done!!

Some of you may recall we moved late last yr and our new home has almost 8 acres in prime buck country!! Baseball season has finally come to a much reduced schedule so now I have been playing catch-up. Ive been dreaming of having a plot in since we moved but really wasn’t sure id have the time. My son and his friend will be bow hunting back there the most so this should hopefully help draw these monster bucks towards our little piece of paradise!!

Tonight I sprayed the area and will be disking and planting Sat or Sun. Attached are 3 pics. All are connected. 
Not sure exactly what I'm planting yet but something just for fall/winter. 

7A61EF4A-0911-4EA7-A3D9-2626F9AEFE9B.jpeg

5844C7AC-C775-433B-8B19-63D8EE3B158B.jpeg

D9E78640-519D-4660-87CA-32AEC3BC075F.jpeg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Soil looks great!  How big an area do you figure?  What did you decide to plant?  Hope you get it in.  Henri will water it for you.

Limited options today but we’re gonna give these a go!! Never seen or hear of No BS but it adds additional variety. 
I bet it’s about an acre. I had so much fun tilling I might turn the field over behind the house. 

4B3E03B9-8C22-4EC2-9851-15AEC4AAD0CD.jpeg

62A51217-D892-4F6F-8224-4EE5FBC2C73E.jpeg

2AC90344-C4B7-48AB-956F-3FB3C6CE1ADE.jpeg

C58E674C-B870-4C90-BFC3-D9631AEB1BF7.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I feel like an epic wiffle ball game could be had out there!!!
HOME RUN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly if I didn’t have a hill thru one section id have made it a baseball field.

10 hours ago, Zag said:

Limited options today but we’re gonna give these a go!! Never seen or hear of No BS but it adds additional variety. 

I'm a believer in Whitetail Institute products.  Follow the instructions on the bag and they won't disappoint!  Hope to see some pics later this fall,

21 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I'm a believer in Whitetail Institute products.  Follow the instructions on the bag and they won't disappoint!  Hope to see some pics later this fall,

Me too, I have never been disappointed with any planting of WI. Their wasn’t much variety at 2 different stores. I wanted tall tine tubers but neither place had them. 

• Like 1

Well she’s done, I was having so much fun plowing with this machine I plowed over half the field behind our house too. What the hell Id like to watch them feed all fall and winter! 
68BFEC0F-77C0-4D6F-8C90-4E1B6548BF1E.thumb.jpeg.129f43b16ca00d7f81a40c5bc25952de.jpeg

Nice!

I haven’t seen land that flat since I was last in Wyoming and flew over iowa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nice!

I haven’t seen land that flat since I was last in Wyoming and flew over iowa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Both of my spots in wmu 9f are pretty damn flat.  I prefer the mountains and have been spoiled by getting a taste of some pretty good Adirondack hunting.  Flat land hunting now bores me a bit (but still beats work). After I retire, I will most likely head for the hills. 

20210501_062140.jpg

20210711_055535.jpg

Screw that up above, this is how I like it:

20210822_204456.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marsala-man said:

Curious if you did any soil testing. Firm believer in the importance of getting soil right to ensure successful planting. 

Not for this spot. Our area is well known for great soil ph. 

36 minutes ago, Marsala-man said:

I'd spend the $20 or $25 to ensure you've got that well know soil pH along with other soil needs. It goes along way to ensure you aren't throwing money away. Interested to see how your plots come out. Please post some pictures in a few weeks. 

Will do!!

When I built my house in 2006 to get a C.O. I needed a lawn so the entire lawn was seeded into bio logic clover.  It's also become the reason for one of 3 rules at my place  , no shooting game on the lawn! . The other 2 rules are story's themselves

no cooking fried bologna or liver in the house,

and if your 65 or older you can hunt out of the hottub.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks  good! I love watching food plots from the house! goes great with beer, or coffee or something lol. 

You get some growth for sure, depending on your average frost date you may still get some bulbs. Seed a big perennial blend into this in the winter for awesome spring plots. 

• Like 1

Couple pics!! One spot is growing fantastic, 2 sections I ended up redoing as the birds were destroying the seed. Apparently having the only freshly tilled ground was a hit for the birds. Still have had next to zero rain since I planted.  

22EE3ECD-8FDA-4153-AD67-90E530EC653C.jpeg

C9DBD5A9-47E3-413E-9F35-99BDAD70D1D3.jpeg

32DA96CC-C957-4BE1-97CC-23E632C9F2DD.jpeg

30F8C37F-3877-45F8-A04C-D4FAE55F5302.jpeg

• Like 4

Well here’s so more pics from today. We finally got some rain Tuesday, not enough but it helped.
My biggest challenge with these new plots are the birds. I have been adding seed for all the bare spots. I’ve been doing plots along time and I believe the problem is my home borders a farm and since cutting ground I have pigeons from the barns now perched on my roof every darn day but the crows have been relentless. I guess I gave these farm birds exactly what they wanted.

The beet looking spot I seeded once, its tucked in the corner of the field and woods ands its growing well. The other 3 spots are wide open. I also only spread 1 bag of fertilizer so not much. 

3F981F8B-4E63-45C6-80FC-A9D0FEF4FB5B.jpeg

EF5DA7C8-4FDC-4B6C-982C-3B4F6EE5AD2F.jpeg

74BD2144-24B4-490A-BF38-AD474D55C3C3.jpeg

46908693-E742-4C46-A9EE-A49F59EE0222.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like it’s coming along.  We’re supposed to get some rain Sunday and then nice weather next week so that should help green it up even more By mid to late October it should start to draw the wildlife. Especially after the surrounding ag fields get harvested.  

• Like 1