Rifle hunter crossing over to bow- license questions

50calpeephole

Hi all, this is probibly a easy question but I haven't had any luck trying to look it up.

I've been a out of state rifle hunter for 5-6 years now, and this season I wanted to transition over to bow hunting to get out a bit early, when I went to purchase a bow tag online this year for the first time it was asking me for my hunter safety class certificate- do I need a special bow class? I know I needed to present my rifle cert back in the day when I got my first set of tags, but I'm unsure of where that paperwork is anymore. Is this one of those cases of I'd be better off showing up and buying a tag locally than using the online system? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your input, looks like I'm going to have to sit through yet another hunting safety class.

I'm having a problem finding a relevant class sadly. I was hoping there would be an online course, but it seems like the NY course over at bowhunter-ed.com requires New York residency and MA doesn't seem to have an online option there. Does anyone know of an online course that NY accepts? 

8 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Its probably better to attend the class In Person , I did years ago with my son and we both got alot out of it ! But there is an Online Class available ...... https://www.bowhunter-ed.com/newyork/

Normally I'd agree, but its not my first hunting course rodeo and I'm assuming that there's going to be a lot of overlap between my rifle course and bow, I'm also a fairly experienced archer, I've just never hunted with my bow. 

I'd seen the bowhunter-ed courses, but they do state at the bottom the requirement for being a NY resident- I guess I can just fake that and take the course anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, GreeneHunter said:

If Bruce Jenner can Identify as a Woman you can Identify as a New Yorker Resident .... IMHO

So if anyone ever pops along and reads this, know that bowhunter.com will require a NY address to check out.

You can try to fake it by putting in your normal address, a popup will display saying "did you mean this?" with your real address, but it won't override the state requirement.

I'm now fully trained and passed a NY state required test and still can't use my bow in NY.

Can't edit my prior comment, but this will be my last reply:

After spending a hour or so on hold with bowhunter-ed, they did some back end magic and figured out which OOS license NY accepts that can be done online through their program, the answer: 

MAINE

Get your Maine online cert apply that for your out of state.

You're welcome, happy huntin'

• Like 1