I remember

Doc

3 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

I liked the Monday opener, as it was a reason to get out of school, hang with your deer camp buddies for the weekend, get your gear set set up and go over hunting strategies around the pot belly stove or campfire.

Now it's everyone showing up at all hours Friday night after work, scrambling around Sat am trying to get their shit straight, then blasting to their stands on the ATV's before sunrise.

I take friday off and head up to camp thursday PM to make it comfortable with the other "old guys" (I'm 53) and we talk about this same topic every year, while relaxing around the campfire enjoying a beverage.

Key word relaxing.

Yep I have a few that come early fri am or Thursday evening, have a drink make a great meal. Then it's mad chaos as everyone arrives after work trying to get their stuff organized and then the guy that comes in late.10 pm and now he wants to drink and play cards while the rest of us are ready for bed and a early breakfast..   the relaxing and socializing is gone with the Monday opening.. and all the hunters are gone by Sunday night.. guys use to take the week off and you would have 5 to 7 guys all opening week.. and a few more would show up for the weekend again  

Those that do take off usually kill the best bucks during the week on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Seems guys are starting to take some time again off after years of just weekends ..makes the week fun

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 4

I remember when there was so many hunters that you could track the path of the deer on the far hill just by listening to the path of shooting. I got one dandy buck just by listening to the direction all the shooting was going, and positioning myself in an escape route that I knew the deer used. Now, after 9:00 or 10:00 am, the shooting is so sparse that you would think the season was over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I remember when there was so many hunters that you could track the path of the deer on the far hill just by listening to the path of shooting. I got one dandy buck just by listening to the direction all the shooting was going, and positioning myself in an escape route that I knew the deer used. Now, after 9:00 or 10:00 am, the shooting is so sparse that you would think the season was over.

Guys at camp complain about lack of shots in distance,  I'm like we'll I bought out 5 camps buying land the only ones out are you guys...

• Like 3

I hope this isn’t a derailing response as it still has lots to do with change and what impacted it

That’s the funny thing - I never had any negative issues with people when I bring deer home uncovered in my carrier on the back of my car. While I m not in the city, I am only 20 minutes away and have plenty of those “City folks” close by.
Actually most of my interactions with people I see at the hunting program i am in are with non-hunters and hikers. They are great conversations about what we are doing, how i process it, and good i make.
I wonder what role we played in hiding hunting from the public for fear of offending when really it wasn’t/isn’t necessary.

I remember hanging my first buck in my backyard and having to explain to my neighbor that nothing will go to waste including the part of the backstrap I gave him. Now he looks forward to hunting season almost as much as me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually live in communist NYC.
I can’t even mention the word hunting. My effeminate neighbors would freak out if they knew I had guns.
The double mask wearing elitists not only hate hunting, but hate meat.
Wusses.
Can’t wait to move & so Grateful to have my own land in CT.

• Like 2

Funny lol.  I lived in the bronx about 10 years ago and we had a butcher shop on the block.  I asked the guys in there if they could butcher a deer for me if I needed.   They barely spoke English but we had an understanding.  The told me to skin the deer and bring it in at night lol.  

The butchers in Manhattan are afraid of the department of health.
I found a Dominican butcher in the Bronx who loved venison. Cash & some back straps got the job done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UWShunter said:

1 - put trigger lock on
2- put gun in lock box. No ammo.
3- place locked gun inside Guitar case.

Sounds like fun, no?

Holy Cow. You probably look like Edgar G Robinson toting guns around in guitar cases. Why do you live in Manhattan? I love going in for daytrips but that about it

• Like 1

I'm hearing some of the same observations that others here have posted. Way back we would head up to deer camp and almost everyone in the group would spend the entire week up there. There were one or two who had to hustle back after a day or two, and we felt sorry for them as we could see how they hated to go, but most guys came home with beards. Now I see guys all running home in Sunday afternoon. 

Holy Cow. You probably look like Edgar G Robinson toting guns around in guitar cases. Why do you live in Manhattan? I love going in for daytrips but that about it

Haha.
I bought my place right @ 9/11 when you could get a good deal which I certainly did. So doesn’t make financial sense to move. Anyway, honored to be one of the few who believes in #2A in Hilary country.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UWShunter said:

Haha.
I bought my place right @ 9/11 when you could get a good deal which I certainly did. So doesn’t make financial sense to move. Anyway, honored to be one of the few who believes in #2A in Hilary country.

So you invested and live in a place that makes you miserable surrounded by people who won't even give you the time of day and that you can't stand? 

So you invested and live in a place that makes you miserable surrounded by people who won't even give you the time of day and that you can't stand? 

I have an incredible escape 2 hours from the city with a lot of land, deer & bear.
The town is laid back & folks are great.

Like I said, financially speaking, not wise to move. NYC still has good eats & short commute to work, plus my clients are all from the city.
One day, when the kids are done with school, I will leave communist NYC & maybe turn my CT home into a hunting lodge.
We’ll see….

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UWShunter said:

I have an incredible escape 2 hours from the city with a lot of land, deer & bear.
The town is laid back & folks are great.

Like I said, financially speaking, not wise to move. NYC still has good eats & short commute to work, plus my clients are all from the city.
One day, when the kids are done with school, I will leave communist NYC & maybe turn my CT home into a hunting lodge.
We’ll see….

Best of Luck. I love CT, hard to find a bad area there. Upstate NY has its run down spots but I love it here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UWShunter said:

1 - put trigger lock on
2- put gun in lock box. No ammo.
3- place locked gun inside Guitar case.

Sounds like fun, no?

I too live in Manhattan. I take my gun down the elevator in its case, locked. Not a big deal. Anyone who’s ever inquired about it is usually thrilled to learn about hunting. I even have a few colleagues taking their hunter’s safety. 

It’s not so bad over here. Incredibly diverse. Few of the locals are actually local. Almost everyone was born outside the city, many far away. This means that the idea of hunting, though not commonplace in urban bubbles, is not totally foreign. With the locavore movement spurring desire in urbanites to become more conscious of the origin of their food sources, now is a great time for us hunters to capitalize and work to recruit new folks into hunting. 

Connecticut is great but they wiped out all their grouse!

• Like 3

I too live in Manhattan. I take my gun down the elevator in its case, locked. Not a big deal. Anyone who’s ever inquired about it is usually thrilled to learn about hunting. I even have a few colleagues taking their hunter’s safety. 
It’s not so bad over here. Incredibly diverse. Few of the locals are actually local. Almost everyone was born outside the city, many far away. This means that the idea of hunting, though not commonplace in urban bubbles, is not totally foreign. With the locavore movement spurring desire in urbanites to become more conscious of the origin of their food sources, now is a great time for us hunters to capitalize and work to recruit new folks into hunting. 
Connecticut is great but they wiped out all their grouse!

I’m in the UWS. Sorry, I saw grown ass men crying when Hilary lost. UES? Maybe more receptive to hunting.
As to CT hunting, I can only tell ya about deer. Anyway, check out my cams. Got a lot of them on my property.
Nice to see a fellow City guy on this forum! Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I remember:

I took my Hunter safety course at Sears and Roebuck.

My grandmother bought me a 12 gauge single shot shotgun for my 14th birthday. 

14 was the age for small game and 16 for big game.

When a cop saw me with a shotgun coming out of the woods he pulled over and asked if I got anything.

My mother let me take April 1st off from school.

Every bar had a rifle raffle.

I could go on for hours.

But even today at every family gathering the conversation revolves around hunting and guns. Every male in my family including every one who married in hunts and or owns guns. Amazing that happened that way.

• Like 1

I remember when crossing the road out front we used to stare at any car that happened to go by because chances are it was somebody we knew. Now it seems that that same road is just a constant stream of cars. And when the fall leaves are in full color, you may not be able to get across the road at all without a good long wait.

I remember climbing half way up the huge hill in the dark on opening day and looking down on the highway below, seeing the continuous long line of headlights that looked like a huge snake coming down the valley. Now opening day traffic doesn't look much heavier that normal work-day traffic.

I remember back in the early 60's, it was kind of unusual to ever see a bowhunter in the woods on state land. It almost seemed like a wilderness hunt (35 miles outside of Rochester). Quite different today.

I remember when we didn't have to lock the door to the house. 

I remember when most of our neighbors were small family farmers. Those lands are being covered up with houses now.

I remember our local Rod and Gun Club putting on the Wally Taber Safari Show in the auditorium of the same local's high school. The sporting goods store I was working at was asked if we could display some hunting and fishing equipment in the school's main lobby outside the aud, there would be no worries about security as a State Trooper would be in the lobby to provide it. 

We brought in a bunch of the newest firearms that were available at the time and plenty of other hunting-outdoor paraphernalia to display. Several other venders also had displays along with Wally himself selling his wares. The show was a sold out big hit and all that attended thought is was great.

Try to put on a show like that today in a high school!!

Al

2021-09-10_101002.png

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, airedale said:

I remember our local Rod and Gun Club putting on the Wally Taber Safari Show in the auditorium of the same local's high school. The sporting goods store I was working at was asked if we could display some hunting and fishing equipment in the school's main lobby outside the aud, there would be no worries about security as a State Trooper would be in the lobby to provide it. 

We brought in a bunch of the newest firearms that were available at the time and plenty of other hunting-outdoor paraphernalia to display. Several other venders also had displays along with Wally himself selling his wares. The show was a sold out big hit and all that attended thought is was great.

Try to put on a show like that today in a high school!!

Al

2021-09-10_101002.png

Hey Airedale was it VVS?  If so thank you!  As a kid I used to look so forward to this every year.  My Dad and I always went. It was great . Wasn't really hunting shows back then and this was a sure look into hunting in far away places.