My ongoing cabin reno

left field

This thing is taken longer than the pyramids did. 

I dry stored 40 boards rough cut hemlock for the ceiling last year, but the damp air seemed to have encouraged some mold so instead of putting it straight up I had to spray a mold killer then sand the boards to remove the stain. So much for the look of rough cut.

8BC1498A-CE8B-4A0E-8A88-6FBEEE0B58D5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.488589b49a1214fffd91244f787b73e5.jpeg

Sanded it was too close to the plywood walls so I decided to stain. A visit to the local paint but I couldn't find a decent water-based stain. As I was leaving, I spotted a dusty can of Weathered Wood Accelerator. He didn't think that would work but I bought it anyway. It created a beautiful blue stain. I rushed back but he only one more can and I needed at least six quarts. That night saw me driving two hours to a HD for the only stash in the area. 

A49B9B60-FDBE-4E58-A7F3-75C058F1249F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b4729f11d43c194f335e66903fbf4a93.jpeg

Then we started to install. Of course, nothing in the old cabin is level, plum or square and it was a bitch to try and cut around the trusses.  

IMG_5724.thumb.jpeg.a022049e2960d22ecff8905ce18f98d7.jpegIMG_5723.thumb.jpeg.97bbd5ef6e6a8f0609b38f99c27b33a6.jpeg

Should have the ceiling done this week, and then frame out the windows and build a small closet.

I'll sleep when I'm dead. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 8

Thanks. Definitely a learning process. I also cut 3" black strips of flashing to put between the ceiling boards to stop any falling dust. We hand ripped the boards so there are some gaps or as I like to say, character. Lots and lots of character.

If I was redoing the outside in fresh hemlock I would use the accelerator as I love the look and I bet it would age beautifully with the weather. Cool product.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, left field said:

Ceiling up. Now I just have to trim the windows and paint the floor. The rough-hewn trusses became a nice architectural detail.

IMG_5745.thumb.jpeg.a7bc3bafc71a5c36d556662a4b71b49e.jpeg

WHAT A FREAKIN MESS ! :banghead:

LOL Just kidding !  It looks great ! The boards and the color you stained them definitely adds character to the structure. I added the little guy above just to replicate how many time you probably whacked your head with the boards  sliding up between the trusses. LOL

4 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

The boards and the color you stained them definitely adds character to the structure. I added the little guy above just to replicate how many time you probably whacked your head with the boards  sliding up between the trusses. LOL

Twelve foot boards. The outside is board and batten, so we had to pop off a couple of exterior boards and feed the wood through the hole to get them above the trusses. 

This was supposed to be rough sawn and not that tight, but one decision led to another and we essentially created finished boards on the spot. That ate up four days with sanding, ripping straight and staining. If I was going to do that again, I would use rough cut pine which at least is cut straight and a little thinner. 

Live and learn. 

• 4 weeks later...