New to muzzleloader hunting

Chuck B

Just courious about what you guys use for powder, bullets.I currently plan on using 50 g of White Hots for powder, power belts for projectile.I sighted in with these,I also have Hornady SST. I read where the power belts don't leave much of a exit hole? Thank you in advance

Be careful with blackhorn guys. I have pitting on my muzzleloader after leaving it dirty for a few months. It was very light pitting and the gunsmith didn't think it would effect the accuracy, but I thought I wouldn't get any rust. Im still going to use it, but ill be cleaning it after I get it sighted in. 

23 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Isnt  blackhorn209 loose powder ? How accurate is the measurement tool?

very accurate in my opinion. when I switched I used 95 gr of blackhorn and when I sighted in my bullets were 2" apart. Accurate enough for me. I still use the quick load tubes,but with loose powder instead of pellets.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Be careful with blackhorn guys. I have pitting on my muzzleloader after leaving it dirty for a few months. It was very light pitting and the gunsmith didn't think it would effect the accuracy, but I thought I wouldn't get any rust. Im still going to use it, but ill be cleaning it after I get it sighted in. 

Using Blackhorn doesn't mean you don't have to clean at all, that was optimistic on your part. You have a lot less to clean though.

23 hours ago, Chuck B said:

Just courious about what you guys use for powder, bullets.I currently plan on using 50 g of White Hots for powder, power belts for projectile.I sighted in with these,I also have Hornady SST. I read where the power belts don't leave much of a exit hole? Thank you in advance

I’m getting back into it myself this year after a long hiatus, I’m using 777  powder  (as that’s all that was available at the time) still sighting it in but am going with 100 grains for now.   I went with the crush harvester sabot’s ( recommended by the guys on here )sized  for a 44 mag projectile (240 grain xtp’s  I also have some 270 grain Speer  deep curls ) as I have a bunch  for my super redhawk. 

BH209 reigns supreme IMO. Make sure you have the proper breech plug for it. The thought of going back to pellets makes me shudder.

SSTs are accurate but they have been through and through with little expansion in my experiences. I've been using the Harvester PT Gold and the Traditions Ridgebacks (I think that is their name) the last few years. No complaints but still not expanding as much as I'd like. Barnes is a popular option.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, phade said:

BH209 reigns supreme IMO. Make sure you have the proper breech plug for it. The thought of going back to pellets makes me shudder.

SSTs are accurate but they have been through and through with little expansion in my experiences. I've been using the Harvester PT Gold and the Traditions Ridgebacks (I think that is their name) the last few years. No complaints but still not expanding as much as I'd like. Barnes is a popular option.

kind of funny i bought BH209 and CCI mag primers. It's been used very little since not through any fault of the setup. I'm still using 250gr SSTs but i'll never understand when and when not it gives me a blood trail. I've seen blood from buckets to seemingly like any drop evaporated before it hit the ground. always behind the shoulder but looking at skinned hide ribs or not it didn't seem to correlate. MOA and under accuracy though. A guy I know hunts all over and hosts a TV show based out of WNY. he switched to barnes expanders for a while for that reason. not sure now though as he touts CVA stuff.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:41 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Isnt  blackhorn209 loose powder ? How accurate is the measurement tool?

I measure my BH209 on my powder scale and pour the loads into little tiny plastic containers, that's probably more accurate than the white tabs. Not a big deal because i don't shoot a muzzleloader as much as my rifles at a session on the bench. Might do 8 or 10 shoots on average with mine which is pretty well sighted in already. 

50grains is on the light side if you can up to 60 or 70gr if using loose powder or 100gr if using two pellets . Im not a fan of power belts at all . I've tested them in phone books and gelatin.  They fragment when pushed fast . The only power belt id use is the biggest 400gr they offer . There are plenty of other better choices . Barnes bullets , hornady xtp ,speer deep curls will all perform much better on game .

The hornady sst is the same bullet as a tc shock wave just re branded for each manufacturer.  It's still a good bullet .

What muzzleloader are you using?

Two of my favorite conical bullets are the 350gr hornady FPB and the 460gr no excuses . The FPB has been replaced with the bore driver  I have yet to test it but its on my to do list .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:01 PM, Chuck B said:

Isnt 50 grains a very light charge ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

So the loose blackhorn has more oomph than the pellets? I was not aware of that...

It does, no need for 100grns even. With 75 I'm grouping constantly 2-3 in at 100yds. I've taken several deer with that load at 50 to 60yd and seems sufficient. If I were taking shots 100yds plus I might use a larger load.

35 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I just picked up a muzzle loader for the first time and my initial plan is 100grns of powder with a 250grn sabot. Seem's reasonable from what I am reading. 

What distance do you guys sight in for? 100 yards? 

i do 100 yards and i can never get over how accurate mine is.  I would certainly feel comfortable out to 150.    

• Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 8:01 PM, Chuck B said:

I went through all the same questions last year, bought into it for not only me, but my dad as well.

Alot of guys dropped some really good knowledge on me.  

Wound up with a T/C Triumph for my dad, and a CVA accura for me.  Just ordered a pair of Vortex Crossfire II scopes for both of them.

Really like the BH209 + Crushrib sabots + barnes 200 gr combo, as recommended by @Buckmaster7600 .  Which reminds me I need to order more...........

• Like 1