Deer Forage

Danny

so i've walked a really good chunk of the state land here in Otsego, what i have found is Zero Oak's like not a single tree so far, Tons of Beech and it looks like gonna be a bumper crop,

Beech, Black cherries, Sugar Maples, Striped Maples, Red Maples, Choke Cherries, Crab Apples, Lindy, Raspberries, Black Berries, Spruce

Zero Oaks, so Odd i guess when the state logged the took every Oak

Edited by Danny
added

Some places were logged off of oaks before the land got sold to, or left to the state. But sounds like ya still have plenty of other forage for the deer! Try to determine the "preferred" food source for when you are actually hunting! Then determine where the deer are bedding and how they are getting to that prefered food source. 

By the way........sumac is a good wild, fall, food source to add to your list!

Best of luck to you this season!

All the preferred food  for bears, beech being #1

heard turkey here is awesome had 7 on my lawn last week, and my neighbor (cattle farmer) said as for the deer “don’t worry they are here”

found this dead head first walk in the woods

57128D9E-60E7-4C25-8C23-EF5CCFDEE9B4.jpeg

08D80998-5CBF-4A38-816D-51506DF3D6BD.jpeg

Edited by Danny
  • Like 1

I get a kick seeing all the deer in fields after the season. Way More than the seasonal guys hunting would think after a tough year. 30 to 40 in a single field. A drive around the block 2 miles x 7 miles shows hundreds total out in the fields..  yet ask the hunters at all the camps and their numbers are down. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cory said:

I’v never had the pleasure of hunting near a acorn tree. In east otto we don’t have any! Has to do the glaciers millions of years ago.  

My uncle in East Otto has oak so does Zoar Valley and chestnuts as well. Unfortunately most forests in ny are high-graded and oaks were removed leaving less desired trees

16 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My uncle in East Otto has oak so does Zoar Valley and chestnuts as well. Unfortunately most forests in ny are high-graded and oaks were removed leaving less desired trees

Where I’m located is next to state land on traffic if you are familiar with the area! When I had loggers do walk through this year they both told me about the glacier movements in the area and oak trees don’t grow. In the hilly areas surrounding do have oaks yes. I’m just not as fortunate. 

22 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

What stateland did you check? I find oaks in most of them,I live in Otsego County as well. Arnold Lake state forest has a bunch,Gilbert Lake does,Texas school house, hartwick state forest...

Decatur state Forrest 

4 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Ah,haven't been over that way. Looks like a beautiful area though,I love the elk creek valley. I have a friend over that way.

Yeah it’s my backyard (literally) so I haven’t ventured into the other places but I will