What are you growing?

I put in my first food plot last fall using Whitetail Institute's Pure attraction and had great results with it. Im thinking about trying something new and I was wondering what you guys are planting and having success with. Im in region 4 and around 2000 ft altitude.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of Winter rye,and then Birdsfoot trefoil and chicory this yr. They are both invasive weeds but Ive read once they are up they block out all other weeds, are drought and cold tolerant and high in protein and can last for a long time. The Birdsfoot is suppose to spread like crazy too. Anyone ever plant any of them before?

Birds foot and vetch are awesome together and are extreemly favored by deer and game . yes they spread readilly but seed can be expensive.

Holly crap your not kidding birdsfoot is expensive. Luckily My plots are small so hopefully that will work to my advantage. Only problem I can see is, I have read, it is hard to get established which could turn into being expensive.

Vetch is best foraged by deer in may and june. By july, it has gone to seed forming little pea shape pods. The plant turns brown at this point, and if cut, has very little if any regrowth. Birdsfoot trefoil is a nice legume that, once cut, regrows very rapidly, provide the moisture is there. Yes the seed is rather pricey, but once established, will grow for years, provided it is cut. It also will grow on soils that are somewhat poorly drained with a lower ph. Deer seem to graize it best in early spring and in the summer once cut, and regrowth begins again.( Second cutting hay) I paid $2.10 a lb. for mammoth red clover seed and it only last two years., so trefoil is a good value, considering it's life span.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter