If You Butcher Your Own Deer.....

Lawdwaz

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I know how much easier it would be to skin right away but I like to leave the hide on while theyre hanging so I can admire them every time I open the garage door lol

It is well worth the extra effort required to skin, to leave it on.  If you take it off right away, the outer layer of meat dries up too much through the aging period.  Also, that hide insulates the meat from mid day high temps and nighttime low temps.

I always split up the workload by skinning and trimming off external fat on one day and processing the next.  They dont dry out too much in 24 hours without the hide on.  A 3.5 year old deer should age about 10 days at 33 - 48 deg F, prior to processing. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Does anyone check the heart,kidney and lung be when gutting there deer ? I was taught to look for puss and spots(discoloration) when I first started hunting. The only thing I ever found was green puss in a broken leg muscle and was told it was cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Does anyone check the heart,kidney and lung be when gutting there deer ? I was taught to look for puss and spots(discoloration) when I first started hunting. The only thing I ever found was green puss in a broken leg muscle and was told it was cancer.

I do like to check the heart and lungs….

2CE1270C-4F86-4D33-B57D-1BFDF664FCBF.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Check the heart and save it to eat if it's not shredded. Lungs not really but they're in view when everything comes out of chest cavity. Kidneys can be assessed for fat on them as a metric for deer herd health and food availability. Liver looked at too as its a filter for bad stuff. TB, parasites, etc can all show up in deer liver. Some no concern other stuff is. I don't and won't eat liver. I've got a shopping bag full of it in freezer if someone wants it. lol

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

On 8/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, wolc123 said:

Not only that, but every sparrow passes from here to eternity just  exactly where and when He chooses.  If you ignore that, you do so at your peril.  

Thanks for bringing up our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ again.   There simply cant be too much of Him on hunting website, where the name of the game is helping the transition of living things from this world to the next.  

I hope you have a great hunting season and that the Man in charge uses you to assist in helping a few "cross over".

Feel free to respond and "bump" Him back up on top to His rightful place and give us a break from all the political bs that seems to be taking over here lately with the lack of any coherent moderation.

The fact that you think He doesn't have time to worry about what happens to a deer indicates that you lack some understanding of what He can do.  I suggest picking up a Bible and reading it.  Start with the gospel of John, then maybe go back to Genesis.

Ok, just got done reading the whole Holy Bible, Still don't get it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rachunter said:

If you squeeze them testies hard enough you'll probably see something that looks like puss.

If you squeeze them testies hard enough you'll probably see something that looks like puss.

I bet if they get a good moderator he’ll pull the mask off you and you’ll be gone. Until you come back with yet another screen name looser.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It is well worth the extra effort required to skin, to leave it on.  If you take it off right away, the outer layer of meat dries up too much through the aging period.  Also, that hide insulates the meat from mid day high temps and nighttime low temps.

I always split up the workload by skinning and trimming off external fat on one day and processing the next.  They dont dry out too much in 24 hours without the hide on.  A 3.5 year old deer should age about 10 days at 33 - 48 deg F, prior to processing. 

The challenge is getting those optimum temps to let them hang, usually early season days can be 50-60 degrees hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

The challenge is getting those optimum temps to let them hang, usually early season days can be 50-60 degrees hot.

I haven't needed my deer fridge the last three seasons, because the hanging temperature inside my garage was nearly ideal, after November 2 or so.  I haven't hunted the southern zone for deer, until crossbow opens up around then, since they were legalized in 2014.

The insulated garage with thick concrete floor helps a lot, in addition to leaving the hide on, to keep the meat in the ideal temperature range.  I cover up all the windows, to keep the sunlight out by day, and I often open them up at night, to let the cool air in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I bet if they get a good moderator he’ll pull the mask off you and you’ll be gone. Until you come back with yet another screen name looser.

I am thinking that Gobbler Chaser, Versitile Hunter, and Left Field may all be one idividual, because all have lacked the courage to post a picture of their face.

I do have to give GC credit for bumping Jesus Christ and the Bible back up to the top though (hence the like).   There simply cant be too much of that on a hunting website where assisting living things into the hereafter is the primary objective of the game.

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

After paying my neighbor/taxi,  who subbed the job out to a butcher acquaintance, and getting back product of dubious quality, I decided it would be a very useful skill to learn how to do myself. So, back in the early '80s, I acquired a VHS tape of Leonard LaRue boning out, seperating and wrapping individual whole muscles from the entire deer, after Peter Fiduccia, (not a fan), rattles in and kills a buck. If you can find a CD copy, I would highly recommend the butchering segment. Just forward past Fiduccia's hunting sequence.  

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

Calling me a looser, your the one soiling your diaper because of something someone said on an interweb forum, LMFAO!!

28 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Calling me a looser, your the one soiling your diaper because of something someone said on an interweb forum, LMFAO!!

Sorry Rooster Gobbler . I'm fairly certain not many, if any  on here would miss you when your gone from here...

Hopefully sooner than later..

• Like 2

After paying my neighbor/taxi,  who subbed the job out to a butcher acquaintance, and getting back product of dubious quality, I decided it would be a very useful skill to learn how to do myself. So, back in the early '80s, I acquired a VHS tape of Leonard LaRue boning out, seperating and wrapping individual whole muscles from the entire deer, after Peter Fiduccia, (not a fan), rattles in and kills a buck. If you can find a CD copy, I would highly recommend the butchering segment. Just forward past Fiduccia's hunting sequence.  

Sorry but I had to laugh at VHS tape. I haven’t heard that in YEARS!!!

I am thinking that Gobbler Chaser, Versitile Hunter, and Left Field may all be one idividual, because all have lacked the courage to post a picture of their face.
I do have to give GC credit for bumping Jesus Christ and the Bible back up to the top though (hence the like).   There simply cant be too much of that on a hunting website where assisting living things into the hereafter is the primary objective of the game.

Left Field is good people- many of us shook (and then washed!) his hand, tipped back a few beers and enjoyed a decent GTG (so many WNY made it uncomfortable!). The others I have little time for.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Left Field is good people- many of us shook (and then washed!) his hand, tipped back a few beers and enjoyed a decent GTG (so many WNY made it uncomfortable!). The others I have little time for.

The WNY crew shook and then washed @left field’s hand? Was his hand dirty from shaking or was it washed out of a show of respect? Did you each take turns washing his hand or was it a communal act, each focusing on one finger simultaneously? A secular maundy, perhaps?

I have met both LF and VH both great people and not the same person

I concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro