If You Butcher Your Own Deer.....

Lawdwaz

The WNY crew shook and then washed [mention=7829]left field[/mention]’s hand? Was his hand dirty from shaking or was it washed out of a show of respect? Did you each take turns washing his hand or was it a communal act, each focusing on one finger simultaneously? A secular maundy, perhaps?

Hey VH…I didn’t see your handle on that previous wolc post. My apologies…not intended for you.
Apologies too for my confusion regarding OUR hand washing. We were getting the “lefty” cooties off our hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chef said:

I have met both LF and VH both great people and not the same person

Thanks, not to get sappy but I think you’re great people too. 
Since joining the forum I’ve been accused of being or having been several different people. Not sure what fuels those suspicions but there’s gotta be a diagnosis somewhere in there... 

18 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Hey VH…I didn’t see your handle on that previous wolc post. My apologies…not intended for you.
Apologies too for my confusion regarding OUR hand washing. We were getting the “lefty” cooties off our hands!

Haha! No need for apologies, I was just thrilled at the prospect of leaning about a new huntNY ritual 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

WOW. the other night i attempted a few jars of canned venison for the first time. It came out fork tender, similar to a pot roast, and such a good flavor. 

Here's what I did:

trim the meat of all fat, sinew, silverskin, etc

cut it into roughly 1" chunks 

I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and just a dash of chili powder

in the prepared mason jar I started with a few spoons of pasta sauce, then a few thin sliced chiles (I used jalapeno), then added the meat to just about the top of the jar, then topped it with another spoon of sauce and some more chiles. 

sealed it all up and put it in the pressure cooker for a little over an hour.

I just tried it for lunch. I may actually shoot extra deer this year just to make sure I'm stocked for this! And it won't take up space in the freezer. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bolt action said:

The cooker I got is smaller. I cooked up 3 quart jars and a .75 pint jar in the first batch. I'll have to play with different sized jars to see where I can make the most per batch.

Just an FYI. pint jars are 60 minutes and quarts are 90 for every cold packed meat recipe I have seen. If you are  getting into this I highly suggest the Ball canning guide and discourage internet. I have seen a bunch of bad info out there and you do not want to mess with badly canned food. 

• Like 5

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/23/2021 at 7:56 PM, Lawdwaz said:

I've been doing my own butchering since about 1985.  I had a banner season in 1984 and paid a small fortune to a butcher shop in Clarence Center (Hobart's?) to process them.  I was just a young guy that spent most of his money on girls and beer so figured I'd have to learn the trade at some point.

The following September I went out west with 6 other guys and ended up (between us) killing 6 antelope and 6 mule deer and those guys wouldn't dare take an animal to a processor.  Since I was one of the first to score the opening evening of antelope season (on a dink buck) I was going to be butchering some animals!  My buddy Albert showed me the ropes and to say I'm grateful would be an understatement.  With some help from another guy from the group we butchered, wrapped and got all the animals ready for the long ride back.  Dry ice procured locally made for easily transporting back the meat.  I should have mentioned; we drove out in a pick up truck and a huge motor home so getting the goods back was a piece of cake......

So since then I'm sure I've cut up well over 150 deer and a handful of antelope.  Worked some elk and caribou too.  

Over the years I've shown a few friends how I do it (right or wrong, you really can't bung it up too bad) and that makes me happy.  What prompted this thread was a Meat Eater episode I just caught the end of.  Steve Rinella was doing a show on butchering deer and goes further into depth than I do but, like I said, you'd be hard pressed to mess up the deal.  At the end he said how he prefers to use plastic wrap and butcher paper over a vacuum sealer for red meat.  I called my wife out and she watched the end of it with him wrapping the meat up and she said, "huh, just like how we do it".   :)

So.....how did you learn, trial and error or were you fortunate to have a mentor like I did? 

Hobart, now theirs a name I haven't heard in a long time. They were the small block building a little north of the town garage. My father use to have them butcher hogs and cattle back in the early 70's. Last time going by, I don't even think the building stands anymore. We use to buy water from Trapper back in the 60's also.

8 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Hobart, now theirs a name I haven't heard in a long time. They were the small block building a little north of the town garage. My father use to have them butcher hogs and cattle back in the early 70's. Last time going by, I don't even think the building stands anymore. We use to buy water from Trapper back in the 60's also.

You're correct, east side of Goodrich......