Ok guys what are you using to hunt deer this year

rob-c

On 8/24/2021 at 5:13 PM, Dinsdale said:

There's one you don't see to often listed.

Had one that shot 180gr Swift Scirocco's into tiny groups. One of 2 rifles I wish I didn't sell.

Yup.... I can tell you this.... Every deer I shot with that... Dropped. They go nowhere.  lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up this Mini 14 in 6.8 to compliment my Savage 110T 6.8 for the woods this year. These are very hard to find and it even came with the original box and paperwork. Ruger only made these for 5 years. This is now my third 6.8 for the safe. I think I have my bases covered. The AR will only have to come out when the SHTF.5C5DD457-A6F5-4CC5-829E-BCAE86991882.thumb.jpeg.1798bbee4b8cf76c49e4d94d767d2878.jpeg

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Definatly using the muzzleloader a lot

Starting with bow (PSE)if we get some chilly weather. Warm keeps me out of the woods. Then its crossbow (Excal and New Centerpoint) and that's when I get serious as the rut warms up and we're getting nice and cold. After that rifle (TC bolt and Savage bolt) Then muzzleloader (CVA)

Might not use them all but my setups are:

Bow - Reflex Growler, Victory arrows tipped with Montec G5 broadheads. (newer to bowhunting, but may upgrade next year)

XBow - Centerpoint Sniper 370 topped with Nikon Prostaff P3 glass, shooting pile drivers with Montec G5's as well.

Rifle - JM Marlin 30-30 topped with Leupold VX2 3X9 glass. Shooting Remington Corelokt 170gr.

ML - 50 cal. CVA inline with fiber optic sights, T/C Mag Express Sabots 240gr., 2 pellets (Hodgdon) with CCI primers. I guess this would be an old school setup by many standards today. The ML must be older as it has a bolt for the primer rather than a break. Shoots straight though. Haven't hunted the northern early ML in years though due to kids always having softball tournaments. I miss that week.

Edited by SilentStalker

55 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

Might not use them all but my setups are:

Bow - Reflex Growler, Victory arrows tipped with Montec G5 broadheads. (newer to bowhunting, but may upgrade next year)

XBow - Centerpoint Sniper 370 topped with Nikon Prostaff P3 glass, shooting pile drivers with Montec G5's as well.

Rifle - JM Marlin 30-30 topped with Leupold VX2 3X9 glass. Shooting Remington Corelokt 170gr.

ML - 50 cal. CVA inline with fiber optic sights, T/C Mag Express Sabots 240gr., 2 pellets (Hodgdon) with CCI primers. I guess this would be an old school setup by many standards today. The ML must be older as it has a bolt for the primer rather than a break. Shoots straight though. Haven't hunted the northern early ML in years though due to kids always having softball tournaments. I miss that week.

My oldest son still shoots a reflex bighorn, I bought it for his 16 birthday ( he’s 27 now) . I’ve said to him you could upgrade and his response is always why,  i shoot it great and it’ll kill deer  just as easy as a new one . 

Edited by rob-c

Bow- Bear Attitude. 64#, 29" draw. 340 Bemans and Grim reaper whitetail special broadhead, nocturnals.

Crossbow - Parker Thunderhawk, muzzy fixed blade heads, lighted nocks.

Gun - rotation of 3 depending on spot and mood.

12 g Remington semi with cantilever barrel and Hornady 300 grain sabots.

30/30 Winchester model 94, Hornady leverevolution 160 grain

30/06 Ruger American, 165 grain Fusions 

Muzzleloader - TC Impact with 100g 777 and a 245 powerbelt. 

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

My oldest son still shoots a reflex bighorn, I bought it for his 16 birthday ( he’s 27 now) . I’ve said to him you could upgrade and his response is always why,  i shoot it great and it’ll kill deer  just as easy as a new one . 

This will be my 3rd year with it. Bought for $100 with new strings and HHA 4 pin. Been a deal so far. My buddy from work wants to sell me his Hoyt Nitrum 34 after a recent upgrade of his own, but I am admittedly still very ignorant to what's what in the bowhunting world. My brother who is experienced loves his Elite and I know the big names like Hoyt, Matthews, etc. but haven't shot enough bows to really be knowledgeable. I'm a lefty so that doesn't help. 

8 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Just picked up this Mini 14 in 6.8 to compliment my Savage 110T 6.8 for the woods this year. These are very hard to find and it even came with the original box and paperwork. Ruger only made these for 5 years. This is now my third 6.8 for the safe. I think I have my bases covered. The AR will only have to come out when the SHTF.5C5DD457-A6F5-4CC5-829E-BCAE86991882.thumb.jpeg.1798bbee4b8cf76c49e4d94d767d2878.jpeg

Sweet I know they did a limited production on it. I use my 1994 mini 30 for deer myself . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilentStalker said:

This will be my 3rd year with it. Bought for $100 with new strings and HHA 4 pin. Been a deal so far. My buddy from work wants to sell me his Hoyt Nitrum 34 after a recent upgrade of his own, but I am admittedly still very ignorant to what's what in the bowhunting world. My brother who is experienced loves his Elite and I know the big names like Hoyt, Matthews, etc. but haven't shot enough bows to really be knowledgeable. I'm a lefty so that doesn't help. 

I kinda feel your pain a little I'm a 32 inch draw and I rarely get to shoot a bow at my draw length before I buy. I would say since your so new shoot as many bows as you can and don’t let the name on the bow persuade you to buy . Buy the one that feels the best to YOU when you shoot it. The biggest thing to get right is the draw length for you no matter the manufacturer. You really can’t buy a bad bow anymore their all quality now . 

Edited by rob-c

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I kinda feel your pain a little I'm a 32 inch draw and I rarely get to shoot a bow at my draw length before I buy. I would say since your so new shoot as many bows as you can and don’t let the name on the bow persuade you to buy . Buy the one that feels the best to YOU when you shoot it. The biggest thing to get right is the draw length for you no matter the manufacturer. You really can’t buy a bad bow anymore their all quality now . 

Thanks for the advice. My more seasoned buddies have said the same about shooting many different bows. I have a dealer I can go to locally so that helps. I want to get through this fall and then start looking a little more seriously. Good luck this year!

4 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

Thanks for the advice. My more seasoned buddies have said the same about shooting many different bows. I have a dealer I can go to locally so that helps. I want to get through this fall and then start looking a little more seriously. Good luck this year!

No problem , and back at ya .. 

3 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

Bear bow, Barnett doa crossbow,  Thompson center black diamond  50 cal, and will break out 870 12 gauge. 

Plan to use muzzleloader mostly during gun for 2 reasons. 1 is on honor of my grandfather,  he always used one when i was young, and 2 is if i shoot my slugs,  or rifle can not replace the ammo.

Good points about the ammo replacement and honoring your grandfather.    I still have a decent supply of 16 gauge slugs.  I am going to try and honor my grandfather, by using his old Ithaca model 37 to kill a doe on his old farm tomorrow and Sunday, during the special early antlerless season.

The last time I used that gun over there was opening day in 2019 and it worked well on a mature doe then.  There are still 5 vacuum-sealed packs from that one in our freezer.   Hopefully, it will get the job done again on one of those next two hunts.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:22 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Smith and Wesson 29-2 .44 magnum. Im considering leaving long guns in the safe this year. Hopefully i have time to hunt with my 300 dollar ebay crossbow before the rifle opener. 

360E709B-FD4F-471A-8FF7-E30B670368B5.jpeg

Do ya feel LUCKY, Punk  ??.....

• Like 1

Bow- Elite Energy 32, 65 lbs., 27", 425 grain elite enforcer arrows ( victory vforce v1) in 350 spine, 100 grain magnus black hornet 4 blade, Nocturnals. 

Crossbow- Killer Instinct 350, victory decimator bolts, Rage heads, Lumenocks. 

Rifles- Howa 1500 hunter .308, vortex crossfire scope. Hornaday interlock 150 grain bullets. 

Browning A-bolt .243, Winchester silvertips 95 grain. Bushnell trophy scope.

Built Ar-15 in 6.5 Grendel 16", Hornaday black 123 grain pills. 1-4x scope for drives. 

Sons rifles for PA youth season, and nephew in NY youth season, and ill carry around in crap weather: 

Savage axis 2 6.5 Creedmoor, vortex scope, mcarbo trigger kit, federal nontypical ammo 140 grain. 

CVA single shot .243, Bushnell sport view glass, Hornaday interlocks 100 grain.  

Everything is completely hunt ready and sighted in!

Edited by Hock3y24