Ok guys what are you using to hunt deer this year

rob-c

After 45 years of hunting with my 30.06 Remington Woodmaster, semi-auto, Model 742, I had to downsize due to the weight of that rifle and my age... I only hunt deep backcountry in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, and cover a lot of territory in the course of the hunting day still hunting and tracking... I have a Leupold 3x9 Vari X II on that weapon. 

Just bought a new 30.06 Tikka T3X bolt action with synthetic stock. Put a Leupold 3x9x50 scope on it... The rifle is made in Finland, and from the research I've done, it appears I bought myself a damn good hunting rifle... The best feature for me is that rifle & scope total about 6 1/2lb.. My Remington is almost 11 pounds so I've cut the weight in half. As a result, I've now got to work out even harder getting my legs in shape as I will probably cover more territory in the course of the day. 

If any of you hunters have this rifle, I'd appreciate it if you PM or Email me and give me your opinion of this weapon. I don't get to this site very often... Best of luck to everyone this season...

And remember... "It's not about the kill, It's about the Adventure"...

Bluesman...

Bow:  Mathews Halon 6 that I got earlier this year.  Still using up the NAP Thunderheads that my friend gave me a few years ago.  I did get new Gold Tip arrows.  I have my Drenalin also as a back up, and a Bob Lee Recurve that I may take for a walk or sit and hope for a perfect 20 yard shot. 

Gun:  Savage 220 with Hornsby SST.  I have 3 or 4 Rem Accutips still, but have not seen any of those on the shelf for lost 3 years. 

ML: Hawken Renegade .54 with 100 grains and patch and ball. 

2 hours ago, Otto said:

Bow:  Mathews Halon 6 that I got earlier this year.  Still using up the NAP Thunderheads that my friend gave me a few years ago.  I did get new Gold Tip arrows.  I have my Drenalin also as a back up, and a Bob Lee Recurve that I may take for a walk or sit and hope for a perfect 20 yard shot. 

Gun:  Savage 220 with Hornsby SST.  I have 3 or 4 Rem Accutips still, but have not seen any of those on the shelf for lost 3 years. 

ML: Hawken Renegade .54 with 100 grains and patch and ball. 

I had the same problem with the 20g Savage. I tried the federal sabots cause it was all I could find and they actually shot the best of all of them out of my gun. And I could usually find them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...