Savage Axis XP Youth Model

XGX7PM

Anyone have any experience with:

Savage Axis XP Youth Model, Bolt Action.

Read more good than bad, but would appreciate member feedback if possible.

Will be chambered in .243 

Not looking to debate caliber, just wondering about overall quality and action. Feedback from those who have handled the firearm either personally or put it in a young hunters hands would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't have the youth model, but I shoot the XP in .308. I've used it for the past 7 or 8 years as my primary deer rifle. I've put hundreds of rounds through it and never had an issue. Cycles well and is an accurate gun. I generally can shoot under 2 inches at a 100 yards with it from a rest. The reason it's 2 inches and not less is entirely on me as the shooter and not on the gun. I've used a few different rounds, but mine seems to like the Hornady Amer. Whitetail in 150gr.

• Like 1

Don't have the youth model either. Mines in 6.5 Creedmore. Has a horrific trigger. I bought it to give to my nephew's in a few yrs. I can shoot it ok, but my nephew's don't have the experience I do, and they can't hit shit with it. I'll get it to a gunsmith at some point and have a different trigger installed.

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Don't have the youth model either. Mines in 6.5 Creedmore. Has a horrific trigger. I bought it to give to my nephew's in a few yrs. I can shoot it ok, but my nephew's don't have the experience I do, and they can't hit shit with it. I'll get it to a gunsmith at some point and have a different trigger installed.

It's as easy as replacing the trigger spring! Can get it from Amazon for less than $20 and install it in five minutes. Mine went from a 7lb trigger pull to a 3lb pull. Made a huge difference with accuracy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grampy said:

It's as easy as replacing the trigger spring! Can get it from Amazon for less than $20 and install it in five minutes. Mine went from a 7lb trigger pull to a 3lb pull. Made a huge difference with accuracy.

Really? Any link on what to order and how to change it out would be awesome. 

Just google Savage Axis trigger spring. The Amazon link should come up. The spring will even come with detailed instructions. But it's super easy to do! "AND SAFE" !

I made a thread on this a few years ago.

Edited by grampy
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

I don't have the youth model, but I shoot the XP in .308. I've used it for the past 7 or 8 years as my primary deer rifle. I've put hundreds of rounds through it and never had an issue. Cycles well and is an accurate gun. I generally can shoot under 2 inches at a 100 yards with it from a rest. The reason it's 2 inches and not less is entirely on me as the shooter and not on the gun. I've used a few different rounds, but mine seems to like the Hornady Amer. Whitetail in 150gr.

I have the Axis II gun, just SS with adjustable trigger, i get a clover group at 100yds but with Winchester Powerpoint 150gn ammo.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Another great practice tip is to have the young shooter mount the gun and do dry fire practice around 100 shots a day :)

Will build muscles and at the same time will smooth out the action/trigger.

We have .243 snap caps. BB gun and a paper plate in the back yard are a daily routine already.

We walked out with 2. 

Now to sort out the rebate...

Screenshot_20210824-100453_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the 243 in youth for my son this past Christmas he loves it.  He was shooting at 50 yards last weekend.

I got him sighted in hitting the line above the center of the target. Next time we'll see where it hits at 100 and 150.

IMG_20210815_112900.jpg

IMG_20210815_105814.jpg

• Like 4