Does anyone let snowmobilers cross their property?

left field

57 minutes ago, Nomad said:

To a high degree yes . The land owners with the most issues ( often they don’t even know ) are absentee land owners, elderly ones , and others who don’t keep an eye on their land .

Theres 3 landowners around us that everyone knows its just best to avoid trying anything on their land . One Mean Jean ,owns farm land that runs along my hunting spot, she’s known to stand outside with binoculars and confront hunters on her ATV. Ah but the Bully on The Hill takes it to another level, he’ll chase you down with whatever is handy, I’ve heard stores of shovels and shotguns , he’s a large man as well . He bought land that boarders ours , so I introduced myself , and we got along ok ,although I didn’t trust him at all, and I certainly didn’t set foot on his land  . Towards the end ( he moved ) he was running around the woods naked with a large knife in hand . 

In retrospect I should have hired him to run off snowmobiles .

My father in law was a pretty big guy and I personally watched him jump into his dump truck and chase a couple atvs up a hill and  across a field. It was rather impressive to see and word did get out not to F around up on the hill.

• Like 1

I allow them to cross the back of my property in Maine for the last 6 or 7 years . I have had no issues with any of the riders. What I did get was quite a few phone calls from the local members saying " Thank You " . They even offered to shovel off the roof of my house up there after heavy snow storms. I do have 2-3 guys and their families that go to my house a couple weekends during the winter to ride their sleds. So we made a small trail from the house to the main trail that crosses my land about 1/3 of a mile in back of the house.

• Like 1

Advantage is you will have a maintained trail including bridges if needed across your property,  season is usually well over before trails open here .

You also have nice easy access to the trail yourself and can enjoy riding in the winter with family and friends, the trail in deepnsnow becomes travel.corridor for all game. 

Many clubs gift owners dinner certificates, give a hand with chores..   as long as trail privilege is not abused the game simply moves a little and let's them go by, if by your dwelling you can request a speed limit. Clubs are usually most responsive to requests and take pride in running trail system.so no  damage occurs to land . I would allow it and stipulate if it's messes up its gone..  better to make friends than enemy's imo

• Like 1

I belong to a couple snowmobile clubs. They bend over backwards to keep any landowners happy. My inlaws have the a trail that goes through their farm. Its been going through there for years and years with no issues. People from the club come through in the very early spring, take down trail markers and clean up anything that may or may not have been left for a snowmobiler. While I agree, people can be sued for anything, you are protected from lawsuits. 

The club will gladly put up any signs you request from speed limits sign, noise signs, stay on trail signs, crops planted signs etc.

The deer won't care at all. Snowmobiles have been going through there for however long the owner has allowed. I see more deer on my snowmobile than i ever do doing deer season. 

I wouldn't be afraid to do it, talk to the club, give them your stipulations....but keep in my it only takes 1 @ssclown too l ruin something good. So if you want to avoid that.....that is your decision.....