Does anyone let snowmobilers cross their property?

left field

This land we're looking at allows a local club to use and maintain a trail across a part of their property. The agreement is verbal. 

Aside from possible noise and garbage issues, my concern would be my liability. If a trespasser hurts themselves, that on them. If someone that Ilve allowed access hurts themselves, I believe I can be held liable. 

Any experience with this from either side? I have to think there are state laws in effect as the snow trails are extensive and probably on private land for the most part.

It’s like deja vu all over again .

No, never I follow advise of our attorney who manages the land , escrow acct. files AG cert, collects farm rent, pays taxes ,distribution of profits , purchases gen liability ins for us .

569BB7A7-7520-4D2A-B320-A5CC38739850.png

FC023348-0127-4F39-B1AD-73655B9C7DE7.jpeg

There are no nearby trails that would need to access any of my property, so as a property owner I can see both sides of the issue. 

As a sledder, I am grateful when snowmobiling for the property owners that do allow it.  On one section of trail, one of the property owners must not allow it even though there is a direct route to the other section of the trail.  To detour, it puts all the sleds on the shoulder of a highway - pretty unsafe.    I think there is maybe 100 yards of access needed to avoid this situation, but it hasn't happened. 

• Like 1

My uncle does but his issue is the ATVs that think the trail is open year round so he made the club pay for 2 heavy duty gates blocking his property and won't allow them to open them until after the first of the year. 

He had a string of bad years with atvs that caused 1000s in damage to his property.  That's why it led to the gate situation.  

we don't have an official club trail but we've always had someone passing through. it's weird the older people stop to talk, ask, offer a beer, etc. the younger ones don't even make eye contact and they'll rip through a field with less hesitation without asking. lol sad. they don't understand the situational gifts their given.

It really depends on whether you like seeing  more snowmobile’s from your tree stand then deer .  Nothings worse than finally getting a few inches of snow get out there in the woods all sudden start hearing all the brap brap  zip zip and here come the sleds. I’ve seen a lot of this where season isn’t even over and they’re all over the place .  We stopped giving a local snowmobile club permission to run the trail through our property. People just won’t  respect the fact that the sleds were not supposed to be operating until after the gun season was over. You grab a couple weekends because you got some time off to hunt and then every 20 minutes someone ripping across your property.  Don’t get me wrong I know I might sound quite sour I’ve been an ATV’er  and previously was a snowmobiler but it just seems like a lot of people don’t respect  The landowners trail limits .  If you do let them cut across your property tell them  STAY ON THE TRAIL    THE MARKED TRAIL  IF THEY DONT CLOSE IT OFF TELL THEM TO BEAT IT .  Our local snowmobile club usually talks a really big game but then usually no one answers the phone when you’ve got complaints .you hear nothing you finally call  troopers or sheriffs department to get some response. Not fun 

Edited by Whitetailhobo
Spell

4 hours ago, Whitetailhobo said:

It really depends on whether you like seeing  more snowmobile’s from your tree stand then deer .  Nothings worse than finally getting a few inches of snow get out there in the woods all sudden start hearing all the brap brap  zip zip and here come the sleds. I’ve seen a lot of this where season isn’t even over and they’re all over the place .  We stopped giving a local snowmobile club permission to run the trail through our property. People just won’t  respect the fact that the sleds were not supposed to be operating until after the gun season was over. You grab a couple weekends because you got some time off to hunt and then every 20 minutes someone ripping across your property.  Don’t get me wrong I know I might sound quite sour I’ve been an ATV’er  and previously was a snowmobiler but it just seems like a lot of people don’t respect  The landowners trail limits .  If you do let them cut across your property tell them  STAY ON THE TRAIL    THE MARKED TRAIL  IF THEY DONT CLOSE IT OFF TELL THEM TO BEAT IT .  Our local snowmobile club usually talks a really big game but then usually no one answers the phone when you’ve got complaints .you hear nothing you finally call  troopers or sheriffs department to get some response. Not fun 

The two clubs i belong too have gates put up for any landowners that want one until the season opens. The club has a key and so do the land owners. 

• Like 1

My neighbor lets the snowmobile club trail access. They are great at grooming trails and keeping the trails clean. I did have metal posted signs and a ladder tree stand stolen in the dead of winter. I called the club president who listened to my concerns and said he would spread the word. So far so good. There are always some bad apples in the bunch. I do have to say they stay to the trails. I have power lines going through my property and I have never seen tracks on those lines. 

19 hours ago, ApexerER said:

The two clubs i belong too have gates put up for any landowners that want one until the season opens. The club has a key and so do the land owners. 

We have had terrible luck with the local club . Sounds like your clubs should give some advice to the ones in our area . One year a few members decided to ride up over and jump there sleds off the silage and haylage bags on the neighbors farm . Tore the bags all up leaving all the feed exposed . Next year another few sleds decided to run laps during little snow in a remote hay field leaving the farmer no choice in the spring but to spend money to reseed. There are more incidents but if your local clubs are well organized I’m sure you will have better results. It only takes one to make everyone look bad . I’m pro wheel and track access for recreation we just have had some issues.

if u ask a lawyer no is the answer...... 99% of the riders are good and the idiots are not club members ... im not a trail rider or club member.... and the chances of lawsuit are about nill... never have i heard of a lawsuit... if some knows of a lander owner being sued let us know

It depends if they are a-holes  or not I would not say anything until I see a problem then tell them if it happens  one more time  I'm closing it down no more trail access.  I mean you bought knowing about it so unless they abuse it not worth angering your neighbors  for nothing.  

Edited by phantom

We have a trail across 1 of our properties.  Club gives us a insurance certificate every year.  And a gift certificate to a local restaurant.  They put in a culvert the first year, which is useful for us. The trail is not open until after deer season, which is a standard practice in NY. They invite us to a banquet every year, but we have not attended.  Never had a problem with the club which is more than I can say for the neighbors. 

• Like 1

No intention to steal this thread, but this does not only apply to snow machine permission.

I used to have a few friends and their kids over for a man's weekend every year. One of the fathers would let his 3 sons borrow a quad and rip around my land like crazy outlaws. I asked him to calm his kids down and make sure they wear helmets. I was afraid of someone getting hurt and a law suit. Of course he never talked with his kids and one of them wrapped a friend's borrowed quad around a tree and totaled it. Thank God he did not get seriously hurt and he did not have a helmet  on. My so-called friend told me that he would never sue me if his kid was injured, I tried telling him that not suing me was not his call, but his insurnce company, his son and his wife would have a voice regarding suing me for any accident on my property. He and his kids have not been invited back again for over 5 years now, he says that I'm the one that is wrong.

So, its not just snowmobile clubs that can get you into trouble. An unresponsible friend can also