Gander Outdoors

loworange88

So I was over at Gander Outdoors in Cicero(Syracuse) this evening.  All hunting/shooting/Fishing merchandise is 10%off(20% if your a Good Sam member).  An employee told me they just got word that they are dissolving hunting/fishing and will ultimately be only camping and RV.  Guess I’ll be back over there to grab a few things into. The next few weeks…. 

Sucks because now Runnings is the only store that sells that stuff in the Syracuse area.  45 minutes to either Basspro from here.

• Thanks 1

So I was over at Gander Outdoors in Cicero(Syracuse) this evening.  All hunting/shooting/Fishing merchandise is 10%off(20% if your a Good Sam member).  An employee told me they just got word that they are dissolving hunting/fishing and will ultimately be only camping and RV.  Guess I’ll be back over there to grab a few things into. The next few weeks…. 

Sucks because now Runnings is the only store that sells that stuff in the Syracuse area.  45 minutes to either Basspro from here.

Im hitting the hamburg store tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Youd think that the vast majority of campers hunt and fish, I hope this move puts them under

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The vast majority of americans arnt volunteering to spend their weekend doing something that adds physical stress to their comfy lives like weekend camping . They need hunting and fishing sales.

I am a long time retailer (no longer), and when I saw the half hearted way Gander was restructuring their stores, I called this when the transition happened. I never thought much of Gander Mountain, but there are fewer and fewer outdoor oriented stores around than ever.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just called and they said 8-10 days to process an order but they assured me the cams are in the warehouse and I will get them. Im now 43% sure I will ever see them

We should have just selected store pick up and got them the next day.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, Daveboone said:

I never thought much of Gander Mountain, but there are fewer and fewer outdoor oriented stores around than ever.

That's for darned sure.   Even Cabelas is not half the store it used to be since they've been bought out by Bass Pro.  They don't have a fraction of the stuff that they used to sell. 

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We should have just selected store pick up and got them the next day.

You can't. It's because despite what the clowns say on the phone. They don't have them yet.

They're not even scheduled to be at Gander until after the first week of Sept....

Gander is the most dysfunctional business I've ever seen. You'll get them, eventually, but don't count on them pre-season. If you get them in September count your stars. When you place the order it'll tell you the expected date of Sept 8-10, but that is really when the distribution begins.

I got in some Reveals this week finally but its like lightning in a bottle.

Edited by phade

2 hours ago, phade said:

You can't. It's because despite what the clowns say on the phone. They don't have them yet.

They're not even scheduled to be at Gander until after the first week of Sept....

Gander is the most dysfunctional business I've ever seen. You'll get them, eventually, but don't count on them pre-season. If you get them in September count your stars. When you place the order it'll tell you the expected date of Sept 8-10, but that is really when the distribution begins.

I got in some Reveals this week finally but its like lightning in a bottle.

I ordered 2 Reveals back in June from Gander.  At that time, the website did say 2 week delay in shipping.  They did in fact ship as stated, and I have them now.  I just looked on the website with my most recent order number placed yesterday, and it says the shipment is ready to go, and awaiting tracking info once it gets to FedEx.  We shall see what happens.

Side note...the Reveals are no longer listed on the website today, they must have sold them out fast.

I am a long time retailer (no longer), and when I saw the half hearted way Gander was restructuring their stores, I called this when the transition happened. I never thought much of Gander Mountain, but there are fewer and fewer outdoor oriented stores around than ever.

I agree, but it’s not just outdoor stores it’s all stores. When is the last time you saw a toy store, a hobby shop. Staples is closing stores, so is bed bath and beyond… the internet is taking over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Chef said:

I agree, but it’s not just outdoor stores it’s all stores. When is the last time you saw a toy store, a hobby shop. Staples is closing stores, so is bed bath and beyond… the internet is taking over

I have a Hobby Lobby about 30 minutes out, we have Micheal's all over the place here.

Big box stores killed toy stores, not the web, Toys R Us was closing long before internet shopping took the foothold it has. If you can get the same stuff at places like Walmart for 1/3rd the cost most people are going to go there.

I agree online shopping is ruining the mom n pop shops though, those little shops can't buy the bulk and sell it low enough to make a profit to keep doors open.

As for Gander Outdoors? I kept hearing the hype about the one that opened in Coxsackie, been there a few times and I'm about as impressed as seeing someone use a pencil instead of a pen. Jacked up prices on most stuff and even if you get the subscription membership the prices are still high in my book. Couple of the guys working the firearms don't seem to know a bullet from a nose picker.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chef said:

What I miss most are book stores. We have a Barnes and Noble nearby, but it is about the only book store in the area. Granted, between Ebay and Amazon you can usually find ten times the books on a subject much cheaper, 

I went to the Cicero store today, most hunting and fishing stuff is 50% off. I did get a new pop up blind and a few odds and ends.  I spoke with a clerk and asked about the sale, he said once all this stuff is gone, it will be only an RV and camping store.  (I think I read that here on another thread) 

I may go back tomorrow, but I am not really in need of anything at the moment.  I may take a harder look at some of the guns, I didn’t really have time to look at that department.