Ideal wind direction for this type of stand location

oapiastos88

Good morning, been racking my brain since previous season on this stand location and what wind direction is ideal . With rising thermals and prevailing winds it got a bit confusing for me. There has been obvious deer sign in the saddle and the surrounding area. What do you guys think ? Attached is a topographical picture of the spot with the stand facing the east. Thanks once again for all the help. 1f2ba8907d61fcf739d88aa5ac390fc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prevailing winds usually come out of the west most days during hunting season. I would think further down the saddle. Thermals could be a problem especially if your bow hunting and having to be close to your game. For bow you have to be scentless to a point. For rifle I would set up higher on the lower portion of that saddle

I frequently hunt a spot similar to the one illustrated and wind is an important consideration and a reason I do not use permanent stands. The first thing I check is wind direction when going in and that will determine where I will be watching the runs in the saddle. I have several spots surrounding the saddle where I can see well enough to shoot. I simply sit or stand quietly with my back against a tree to break my outline, clear the ground of leaves so I can silently and easily move to a comfortable shooting position if need be and watch, killed a lot of them using that technique.

Al

• Like 2

I frequently hunt a spot similar to the one illustrated and wind is an important consideration and a reason I do not use permanent stands. The first thing I check is wind direction when going in and that will determine where I will be watching the runs in the saddle. I have several spots surrounding the saddle where I can see well enough to shoot. I simply sit or stand quietly with my back against a tree to break my outline, clear the ground of leaves so I can silently and easily move to a comfortable shooting position if need be and watch, killed a lot of them using that technique.
Al

Thanks for the reply! In this scenario what wind would you hunt if you had a east facing stand?

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

Kicking tbe leaves away also is a great cover scent

I have a similar set up . In 17 years I can count on one hand the number of times the deer have winded me . As soon as the morning sun heats up the side of hill it works like a hot air balloon. One problem you may encounter is getting blinded by the sun early morning.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

I would hunt any wind but true north as true South in the am taking advantage of thermals.  I would face stand north .. to much visual hunting imo need to learn to use ears..kill aot more deer that way.  Use sun to your advantage so deer have to look into it in am or pm . That would require 2 stands on on extreme eastern edge and one on western edge.  Can't cover it all with on stand in middle as you will be seen or scented as deer try and go one side or the other .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oapiastos88 said:

Thanks for the reply! In this scenario what wind would you hunt if you had a east facing stand?

I always want the wind in my face from the direction I am watching over, an area that the Deer move and feed through. I will contend with a quartering wind if I have to to place myself in a good position to see clearly but for the most part I want it in my face if possible. If I can not play the wind properly I will go to another spot where I believe I can instead of gambling and getting busted and maybe ruining a good setup.

You have the hard part done by finding a spot you can set up over with known Deer activity. Moving sow and quietly, playing the wind, patience and sitting still on watch are the virtues of Deer hunting

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I would hunt any wind but true north as true South in the am taking advantage of thermals.  I would face stand north .. to much visual hunting imo need to learn to use ears..kill aot more deer that way.  Use sun to your advantage so deer have to look into it in am or pm . That would require 2 stands on on extreme eastern edge and one on western edge.  Can't cover it all with on stand in middle as you will be seen or scented as deer try and go one side or the other .

I have another 3 stands I’m going to put in the general area ..and really try my best to only hunt quality days in order to not burn out the spot .. so in this case in the saddle you would face the stand north and hunt any wind except a north or south ? I appreciate the knowledge man!

2 minutes ago, oapiastos88 said:

I have another 3 stands I’m going to put in the general area ..and really try my best to only hunt quality days in order to not burn out the spot .. so in this case in the saddle you would face the stand north and hunt any wind except a north or south ? I appreciate the knowledge man!

North or South the wind will travel the ridge. Any other and you should be above target as wind will swirl back onto top 3rd of hill.  Which is where bedding should be.  That's why stands should be on edge of ridge not in middle 

Good morning, been racking my brain since previous season on this stand location and what wind direction is ideal . With rising thermals and prevailing winds it got a bit confusing for me. There has been obvious deer sign in the saddle and the surrounding area. What do you guys think ? Attached is a topographical picture of the spot with the stand facing the east. Thanks once again for all the help. 1f2ba8907d61fcf739d88aa5ac390fc8.jpg

Rather then second guess your location I am going to take a different approach and assume you picked the best spot in the saddle and for whatever reason you expect bucks to be traveling on the east side of the ridge.
Bucks are going to travel that east side are going to want a predominantly westerly wind to scent check the ridge from the east. Which is no good for you.
Your best bet for that set up is cross wind almost dead north or dead south…. That’s the safest for you. But the best wind to kill a buck is going to be north or south with touch of west in it. Yes more of gamble but that’s wind a mature bucks will want cruising on that east side.

9 hours ago, oapiastos88 said:

I'm a bit confused here. In the image there's what looks like a compass at the bottom which marks east and being up, but the marking you put on the image are the opposite and has east pointing down.

Which way is actually east?

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused here. In the image there's what looks like a compass at the bottom which marks east and being up, but the marking you put on the image are the opposite and has east pointing down.
Which way is actually east?

Aww man your right! I was going off the wind direction and labelling it according to that . good catch ! Amateur hour lol .. I’m going to do a bit more scouting and try and find a good spot on the east and west side of the hill. I just get confused on hunting the leeward side where he would be bedded I would have to get him in a cross wind right?975b9a52136f68372d9b52d4651fd30d.jpg