I Did It Now

DirtTime

So I caved and ordered a CVA Wolf with the Konus scope. The all black version, not the stainless. I also grabbed a kit with the breech brushes, a bullet starter, some cleaning items, and a quick loader. I'll be trying out Power Belt 245gr bullets and 50gr Hodgdon Triple 7 powder pellets.

I still have to order some 209 primers, and will most likely go with Winchester 777's.

I don't like ordering things like this online, but I was able to save some cash this way even with the hazmat fees for the powder pellets. I'm pretty nervous about having a firearm shipped to me to be totally honest, I have this odd twisted feeling in my guts.

• Like 10

Awesome Rob! I have had a couple firearms shipped with no problem at all. Start a thread detailing how set up, sighting in, and cleaning go for the first time. from what I see that is a very nice package! It should serve you very well. Hope to see it laying across a deer this year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the purchase, muzzle-loaders.com?

I just bought an Optima package with a Burris scope a couple of weeks ago. I've been pretty ill and was quarantined at home for two weeks so I just happened to be home when it arrived. I checked torque settings on the pre mounted and bore-sighted scope rings and it wasn't to my liking. So I took those off and one of the screws on the base was not tight at all. I wound up remounting, loctiting, re-torqueing and re bore-sighting. Now I know everything is where it needs to be. Got to zero at 50 yds in three shots. Going to stretch out to 100 yds and more when I feel better. The gun is a breeze to clean. I think you'll like it a lot!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, grampy said:

Awesome Rob! I have had a couple firearms shipped with no problem at all. Start a thread detailing how set up, sighting in, and cleaning go for the first time. from what I see that is a very nice package! It should serve you very well. Hope to see it laying across a deer this year!

I'll probably shoot some video on a bunch of stuff. Being a beginner maybe it will help someone else out by seeing how I did it. Who knows? I'll probably have a full thread going elsewhere about this as well.

32 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Nice, i keep saying I am going to buy a muzzle loader. I have been borrowing one every season for years now.....

Having it shipped won't be an issue....Good luck with it

The man who owns the land I hunt in the ADK's has two he's offered to let my wife and I borrow. But just while we're there. I wanted something for our annual trip to Indian Lake with a little more reach then just my bow.

If you'd be interested shoot me a PM and I'll give you the link where I got everything from at a good price.

I keep looking around at primers and read a bunch, and I think those Winchesters will be fine for me. Down the road I do plan to try some CCI's if and when I can get them. I read a lot about those White Hot pellets, and it was pretty split as to how good they were, but read a lot of good things about the triple 7's so went that route.

I do have to go get the ML tag now, I never bother because I never hunted with one.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I just bought an Optima package with a Burris scope a couple of weeks ago. I've been pretty ill and was quarantined at home for two weeks so I just happened to be home when it arrived. I checked torque settings on the pre mounted and bore-sighted scope rings and it wasn't to my liking. So I took those off and one of the screws on the base was not tight at all. I wound up remounting, loctiting, re-torqueing and re bore-sighting. Now I know everything is where it needs to be. Got to zero at 50 yds in three shots. Going to stretch out to 100 yds and more when I feel better. The gun is a breeze to clean. I think you'll like it a lot!

I'm really hoping to hear how you like the Optima and how it performs out beyond 100 yards.   I have been looking for an Accura, but they are hard to find, so may choose to go with the Optima.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What is it about having it shipped to you makes you feel that way?

There are just some things I'm not comfortable having shipped. A firearm of any sort is at the very top of that list. I've had two knives not show up in the last year or so, one was taken right from the mailbox and the other off the porch. So a gun has me nervous.

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I hope you feel better soon.

I went through another site. muzzleloaders.com didn't have what I wanted in my price range in stock.

I'll end up checking everything over as well. One of the big draws to the CVA was no tools to remove the breech plug, just twist it. I'll site at 50 and 100. I'm not seeing past that anywhere I'll be using this.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

There are just some things I'm not comfortable having shipped. A firearm of any sort is at the very top of that list. I've had two knives not show up in the last year or so, one was taken right from the mailbox and the other off the porch. So a gun has me nervous

Never thought of porch pirates....what scum bags......good luck

• Like 1

I know a couple guys that bought the CVA Wolf online . They had no issues . One got the stainless and the other the black version. They sighted them in and are happy with them .

I have never had any issues with the powder pellets and prefer them over loose powder including the BH 209. I have used both the Winchester 209 black powder primers and the Winchester shotgun primers. They work the same with no issues . Never had a misfire with either one and accuracy is the same. Because you brought them up , I will mention the CCI Magnum primers . You dont need those . The only propellant that absolutely needs those is BH209 which needs a flame thrower to ignite it. As far a WhiteHots I have never used them. But I have seen many posts on a few forums about them. Hardly any were good . Most didn't like them.

I also use Power Belts . In my 2 50 cal TC Encores. They are deadly accurate . I have one sighted in using the 295 grain and the other for the 245 grain . My sighting in consists of firing one shot out of each gun at a 2 inch Splatterburst target at 90 yards. Bulls eye every time inside the once inch inner part of the target .

But I do want to give you some advice on which one to use from mine and a bunch of my friends that have used them for years. Do not use the copper Aerotip Power Belts . They dont expand like they should . Do yourself a favor and use the copper hollow point . Night and day difference. It does 10 times the damage and blows right through a deer . We almost stopped using Power Belts because of the small skimpy blood trails. We also thought the hollow point version was the same bullet as the aerotip without the plastic tip. But its not. That hollow point opens up a convincing wound channel for great blood trails.  I also find that the aerotips and the hollow points fly the same . No difference in sighting in . So if you bought the aerotips already , use them to sight in. But get the hollow points to  hunt with . If you cant find the hollow points which are harder to find , I have 4 packs and would send you a 15 pack . 

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rob-c said:

No worries on having it delivered , I ordered mine and 777 powder on line zero problems . I found the Winchester 777 primers locally and they have worked fine with mine .

Rob, where did you find the primers? I’m down to 17 of them and I’m fretting about that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I think I have to try and find some primers locally. Wholly shit! $40 for a $10 item. $30 hazmat fee.

Looks like the Winchesters have been discontinued?

If you're located around where I think you are, you might try Bob's Bait on 9N in Corinth. They always seem to have a good selection of ML supplies. 

15 minutes ago, Splitear said:

If you're located around where I think you are, you might try Bob's Bait on 9N in Corinth. They always seem to have a good selection of ML supplies. 

That's about an hour and a half out from me. I might give them a call anyway so thank you for the heads up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Rob, where did you find the primers? I’m down to 17 of them and I’m fretting about that.

I found a tray at Scott’s guns tossed in a box of m/z stuff , then had a  coworker  pick me up a tray when he was in PA. I’ll keep a eye out for ya , if you don’t have any come season give me a holler I’ll give you some. 

Edited by rob-c

21 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I found a tray at Scott’s guns tossed in a box of m/z stuff , then had a  coworker  pick me up a tray when he was in PA. I’ll keep a eye out for ya , if you don’t have any come season give me a holler I’ll give you some. 

Thanks! I was going to try Barbers in Westfield this weekend. I've never been there.

Dirt-time, sorry to hack the thread - I'm done!

The Wolf is a great selection. It really does do a good job for the large majority of MZ hunters. I have hunted with one alot over the years, even predating the quick pull breeches. About the only complain has been the lousy ramrod. I wish they'd have better ones. That said, it is hard to justify a $400 model vs this if you're shooting 100 yards and in, in most cases. I have a Vortek UL, a Buckstalker, a Wolf, and I think one other. The Vortek is nice for longer shots but that is double the price for 1 out of 100 scenarios for me. 

Wolf is very much a gold standard in that market category.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, phade said:

The Wolf is a great selection. It really does do a good job for the large majority of MZ hunters. I have hunted with one alot over the years, even predating the quick pull breeches. About the only complain has been the lousy ramrod. I wish they'd have better ones. That said, it is hard to justify a $400 model vs this if you're shooting 100 yards and in, in most cases. I have a Vortek UL, a Buckstalker, a Wolf, and I think one other. The Vortek is nice for longer shots but that is double the price for 1 out of 100 scenarios for me. 

Wolf is very much a gold standard in that market category.

I looked at the Buckstalker if you're referring to the Traditions model. About the same price point, I just always hear so many good things about the CVA.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the cva wolf . Only thing I wouldn't use is the power belts. I'd get some .45 hornady xtps and a crush rib sabot bought separately not pre packaged .( if its a .50 cal ) Much cheaper and far superior of a bullet .

Either way enjoy it and make some smoke ...

Edited by sbuff
  • Thanks 2

You got a good gun , will be capable.of.more than you ask of it.. I still can't figure eoutnthebdraw to pellets so.much wasted powder. Loose loads quick and allows greater accuracy if you get into it where you want to shoot 200 yards..

6 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

I know a couple guys that bought the CVA Wolf online . They had no issues . One got the stainless and the other the black version. They sighted them in and are happy with them .

I have never had any issues with the powder pellets and prefer them over loose powder including the BH 209. I have used both the Winchester 209 black powder primers and the Winchester shotgun primers. They work the same with no issues . Never had a misfire with either one and accuracy is the same. Because you brought them up , I will mention the CCI Magnum primers . You dont need those . The only propellant that absolutely needs those is BH209 which needs a flame thrower to ignite it. As far a WhiteHots I have never used them. But I have seen many posts on a few forums about them. Hardly any were good . Most didn't like them.

I also use Power Belts . In my 2 50 cal TC Encores. They are deadly accurate . I have one sighted in using the 295 grain and the other for the 245 grain . My sighting in consists of firing one shot out of each gun at a 2 inch Splatterburst target at 90 yards. Bulls eye every time inside the once inch inner part of the target .

But I do want to give you some advice on which one to use from mine and a bunch of my friends that have used them for years. Do not use the copper Aerotip Power Belts . They dont expand like they should . Do yourself a favor and use the copper hollow point . Night and day difference. It does 10 times the damage and blows right through a deer . We almost stopped using Power Belts because of the small skimpy blood trails. We also thought the hollow point version was the same bullet as the aerotip without the plastic tip. But its not. That hollow point opens up a convincing wound channel for great blood trails.  I also find that the aerotips and the hollow points fly the same . No difference in sighting in . So if you bought the aerotips already , use them to sight in. But get the hollow points to  hunt with . If you cant find the hollow points which are harder to find , I have 4 packs and would send you a 15 pack . 

I believe the ones I have coming are the Aerotips. I know they aren't hollow points. I'll have a look and see if I can find some of those.

@sbuff I went .50 cal. This is going to probably be one of those things where it will take some time to figure out everything that works together. Thank you for the tip.